Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can you please help me out with finding a working GPS navigator? I have a pre-paid T-Mobile account which works fine with the phone, my new mini sim card is activated and I can call, text and browse the web. T-Mobile has excellent GPS navigation support.

The phone does not come with a working GPS system as advertised, "GPS for navigation and location services". I have updated the phone to current software, searched on webosnation, and tried many different apps, but the one on the phone is a paid service for AT&T, which I don't have, and there are no working GPS turn by turn voice navigation apps for the phone, only digital replicas of paper maps.

If anyone can please help me find a working true GPS on this phone, I will be happy to keep it, otherwise, I will have to return it as it does not have a working GPS option.I have clicked on all of the links for apps and like I mentioned, the app store has no working GPS navigation apps.
    although I prefer ndrive I cannot recommend it due to the fact that you have to pay $25 for maps that are 2 years old and offer no support or updates any longer. If you want you can have a look at this thread for navit open source navigation system. Navit, onboard car navigation | webOS Nation
    I will actually recommend nDrive despite the $25 maps. It has a much more polished look and all of the downloads and store still work fine. It's a great app even though beta 11.3 was the last one (with a working store).
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Ndrive didn't work out too good for me and others. Spent the money and bought the maps, it worked once and then started to close itself
    Quote Originally Posted by C Caulfield View Post
    Can you please help me out with finding a working GPS navigator? I have a pre-paid T-Mobile account which works fine with the phone, my new mini sim card is activated and I can call, text and browse the web. T-Mobile has excellent GPS navigation support.

The phone does not come with a working GPS system as advertised, "GPS for navigation and location services". I have updated the phone to current software, searched on webosnation, and tried many different apps, but the one on the phone is a paid service for AT&T, which I don't have, and there are no working GPS turn by turn voice navigation apps for the phone, only digital replicas of paper maps.

If anyone can please help me find a working true GPS on this phone, I will be happy to keep it, otherwise, I will have to return it as it does not have a working GPS option.I have clicked on all of the links for apps and like I mentioned, the app store has no working GPS navigation apps.

did you try Navit?

i did but didn't like the original GUI. but there are other skins. but i don't know if they're for a Veer/Pixi sized screen.

but i gave up on turn by turn after Sprint screwed me and ceased Sprint Nav access for webOS. now i just use google maps and read the text instructions. good luck. let us know if you find something that works for you.
  6.    #6  
    Here's a summary of the steps you have to go through and what happened when I tried Navit for my HP Veer:

Source: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

1) Home computer
    2) Update Java
    3) WebOS Quick Install (will not show any sign of instillation)
    if at work, blocked, email link to phone and then transfer via USB back to computer
    4) Novacom Driver
    5) Change phone to Developer Mode
    6) Reboot Phone
    7) Ignore steps on link 6,7,8,9, they don't mean anything
    8) Preware from Applications
    9) Navit
    10) Navit Maps
    eleventythousand) Scream and shout because it still doesn't work, Navit shows blank map no matter how much you try to configure the settings
    Here's a summary of the steps you have to go through and what happened when I tried Navit for my HP Veer:

Source: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

1) Home computer
    2) Update Java
    3) WebOS Quick Install (will not show any sign of instillation)
    if at work, blocked, email link to phone and then transfer via USB back to computer
    4) Novacom Driver
    5) Change phone to Developer Mode
    6) Reboot Phone
    7) Ignore steps on link 6,7,8,9, they don't mean anything
    8) Preware from Applications
    9) Navit
    10) Navit Maps
    eleventythousand) Scream and shout because it still doesn't work, Navit shows blank map no matter how much you try to configure the settings
    Any map files in the maps folder with .bin extension?
    NavitMaps sometimes downloads corrupted files so I do the manual method with PC and planet extractor or whatever was that site.
    Check Navit wiki: Application:Navit - WebOS Internals

Navit is not perfect but paired with hb gmaps it works out well enough for me.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    Any map files in the maps folder with .bin extension?
    NavitMaps sometimes downloads corrupted files so I do the manual method with PC and planet extractor or whatever was that site.
    Check Navit wiki: Application:Navit - WebOS Internals

Navit is not perfect but paired with hb gmaps it works out well enough for me.
    Pic attached for viewing the screen...

Thanks, I have downloaded the Navit Maps (for the whole world), but am a newbie so not sure how to check the folders themselves.

I have downloaded Navit both through my computer WebOS Quick Install and through the Preware site.

How do you use Navit with hb gmaps? I have both.

I checked out your link, am trying a few things, but am not a programmer. Please see pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pic attached for viewing the screen...

Thanks, I have downloaded the Navit Maps (for the whole world), but am a newbie so not sure how to check the folders themselves.

I have downloaded Navit both through my computer WebOS Quick Install and through the Preware site.

How do you use Navit with hb gmaps? I have both.

I checked out your link, am trying a few things, but am not a programmer. Please see pic...
    Download smaller map. i.e the whole USA map bin file is more than 4GB which is over the fat32 file size limitations, so NavitMaps fails silently to save that to the usb partition.
    You can have different smaller files and all can be included in your /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/maps/ folder.
    tip: /media/internal is the root folder that you see when you plug your phone in usb mode to a PC.
    To check thru Navit what maps files are loading:
    1. Tap on the screen
    2. Tap the Settings->Advanced->Maps
    3. there you should see the bin files that the app is loading. Again if they're corrupted it won't be able to load them.

Abot hb gmaps app. When you find your destination and click on it there's a context on the bottom that says Route with Navit and it has the icon of the app.
    You have to do that twice due to some issues with the latest build of navit and just to make sure navit is navigating you to that location make sure to check on the Former Destinations list menu in navit and set that as destination.
    You can add gmaps as your search Launch and search app and check on the address before giving it a go with Navit or blindly trust what NavitMaps selects - it uses google services as well but you might end in the wrong place without knowing it, since there's no good way to check in Navit...yuo can zoom out and see the route but it's to clunky to do.
  10.    #10  
    Download smaller map. i.e the whole USA map bin file is more than 2GB which is over the fat32 file size limitations, so NavitMaps fails silently to save that to the usb partition.
    You can have different smaller files and all can be included in your /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/maps/ folder.
    tip: /media/internal is the root folder that you see when you plug your phone in usb mode to a PC.
    To check thru Navit what maps files are loading:
    1. Tap on the screen
    3. there you should see the bin files that the app is loading. Again if they're corrupted it won't be able to load them.

Abot hb gmaps app. When you find your destination and click on it there's a context on the bottom that says Route with Navit and it has the icon of the app.
    You have to do that twice due to some issues with the latest build of navit and just to make sure navit is navigating you to that location make sure to check on the Former Destinations list menu in navit and set that as destination.
    You can add gmaps as your search Launch and search app and check on the address before giving it a go with Navit or blindly trust what NavitMaps selects - it uses google services as well but you might end in the wrong place without knowing it, since there's no good way to check in Navit...yuo can zoom out and see the route but it's to clunky to do.
    Thanks. I am determined to get the GPS working because I really want to keep this phone.

I removed Navit Maps and re-installed them, this time I had no choice as to which maps to download.
    I opened Navit and did what you said,

"To check thru Navit what maps files are loading:
    1. Tap on the screen
    3. there you should see the bin files that the app is loading. Again if they're corrupted it won't be able to load them."

And got the screen shot attached, no filed were loading.

About the hb gmaps app, there is no option to find with Navit, and I get the attached error when trying to get directions.

When I open the Microsoft Bing Google maps, it actually works and gives me directions.

GPS is definitely turned ON on my phone.

When I turned on Navit again, it gave me a choice to download North America. I did, and it said downloading for about 5 minutes, then appeared to stop, and gave me the blank screen again.

Oh for goodness sakes, help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I will actually recommend nDrive despite the $25 maps. It has a much more polished look and all of the downloads and store still work fine. It's a great app even though beta 11.3 was the last one (with a working store).
    At this point I'd be happy to pay for Ndrive maps, but even when I have an excellent signal, GPS is ON (google maps can find me), Ndrive keeps saying "Waiting for valid GPS signal", and then "out of road".

Do you have to buy a map for it to even find you?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Also, I searched reviews for Ndrive and there are hundreds or so of horrible reviews: NDrive 10 for Android | Bad App Reviews
    I'm pretty sure that for navit maps the best way to go is to use the map extractor tool and copy it to your usb drive
    Thanks. I am determined to get the GPS working because I really want to keep this phone.

I removed Navit Maps and re-installed them, this time I had no choice as to which maps to download.
    I opened Navit and did what you said,

"To check thru Navit what maps files are loading:
    1. Tap on the screen
    3. there you should see the bin files that the app is loading. Again if they're corrupted it won't be able to load them."

And got the screen shot attached, no filed were loading.

About the hb gmaps app, there is no option to find with Navit, and I get the attached error when trying to get directions.

When I open the Microsoft Bing Google maps, it actually works and gives me directions.

GPS is definitely turned ON on my phone.

When I turned on Navit again, it gave me a choice to download North America. I did, and it said downloading for about 5 minutes, then appeared to stop, and gave me the blank screen again.

Oh for goodness sakes, help!
    I saw you have the green bars on navit all the way which means you have gps on and locked so your problem is the map file.
    If you get the North America there - it's even bigger. Narrow the field or just to see how big are these maps go to [url=http://maps3.navit-project.org[/url] and use the manually select your area.
    Then transfer the bin file that's downloaded to the location on your phone I mentioned in my previous post.
    The map is streamed and if your connection on the phone is not good enough you can get corrupted file. Smaller chunks of map files have better chances to not be corrupted.
    Again your problem is that you're trying to download too big of a map.
  15.    #15  
    I saw you have the green bars on navit all the way which means you have gps on and locked so your problem is the map file.
    If you get the North America there - it's even bigger. Narrow the field or just to see how big are these maps go to [url=http://maps3.navit-project.org[/url] and use the manually select your area.
    Then transfer the bin file that's downloaded to the location on your phone I mentioned in my previous post.
    The map is streamed and if your connection on the phone is not good enough you can get corrupted file. Smaller chunks of map files have better chances to not be corrupted.
    So I went to the link you provided first on my phone, but I get the error: "Your browser does not support vector rendering".

Then I downloaded just a small part of my city on my computer, but when opening the .bin file, it only archived it into a cpgz file, and upon opening that, back to a .bin file. I currently don't have my cable with me so I can't transfer it to the phone, and can't email it to my phone or upload to GDrive, it seems to be too big.

I don't think I was meant to have this phone.
  16.    #16  
    I honestly cannot believe that so many people use this phone and the webos system, but no one has developed a simple working GPS turn by turn navigator yet. Any takers?
    I honestly cannot believe that so many people use this phone and the webos system, but no one has developed a simple working GPS turn by turn navigator yet. Any takers?
    if you don't have your cable try to search for wifi sharing app in preware - this way you won't need your cable and use wifi to transfer files.
    WiFi File Sharing | webOS Nation
    One of my laptops have issues locating the phone by name but plugging the IP works just fine.
    I've messed with Navit on Android and believe me it was even worst to get maps on it.
    Had to transfer the map from my pre to my friends tablet
    So It's not perfect but it's free.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    did you try Navit?

i did but didn't like the original GUI. but there are other skins. but i don't know if they're for a Veer/Pixi sized screen.

but i gave up on turn by turn after Sprint screwed me and ceased Sprint Nav access for webOS. now i just use google maps and read the text instructions. good luck. let us know if you find something that works for you.
    I installed Navit on my Pre and loaded the map file but the maps never displayed when I launched Navit. So I resorted to reading the text instructions on Google map too.
    Also, I searched reviews for Ndrive and there are hundreds or so of horrible reviews: NDrive 10 for Android | Bad App Reviews
    1) That's NDrive for Android. 2) That's a website for bad reviews!

For webOS, NDrive is the most polished GPS app outside of the now broken TeleNav (carrier) apps. Plus you have offline map access. Personally, I really like it. But it's true, it costs some money, is a not quite finished beta, and is no longer updated.

An good lawd, it takes a long time to download those maps the first time!

Lastly, I recently found it gives incredibly poor directions on the north side in Chicago. But they were the same as what GMaps said. Weird cuz usually it's pretty clever.

So everyone in the car compared apps, and only one person's Android gave a smart path across town. Think it was on Google Navigator, but I don't recall.
  20.    #20  
    Apparently, I have webOS 2.1.2, and when I uninstalled and re-installed Navit, it said it only works for webOS 1.4.5.

I did as suggested and downloaded the small area map .bin file, but not now Navit won't open.

Trying to either find a newer version of Navit or downgrade I guess to 1.4.5?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast