Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    Native Printing on webOS Phones using webOS 3.0.5 Print Manager:

Looks like HP/Palm showed this but did not release it: HP touts web-connected ePrint printers with webOS devices [video] | webOS Nation

Tested on my PrePlus (webOS 2.2.4), Pre2 (webOS 2.2.4), Pre3 (webOS 2.2.4), and Veer (webOS 2.2.4) all Print (YMMV), Does not work on the PixiPlus (webOS 2.1.0 and Supered 2.1.2)... (webOS 2.1.x on PrePlus/Pre2/Veer, Although the Print Manager works on webOS 2.1.x I can not get Adobe Reader to work, to validate that Printing works...)

First you need to install Rod's meta doctor application (this requires a PC running some version of Unix can be a virtual machine or MAC):

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

Copy both scripts attached to the scripts directory.

If you are not used to Linux, this might be a rough road, but as these files are copyrighted by HP/Palm I can't just ZIP them up and post them, I can only extract them from an already posted by HP/Palm ZIP (Jar's are fancy ZIP files). If you do not want to use Rod's application, I included a text file on the files needed and where they are to go look at listv2.txt. (for those who used V1, I kept the listv1.txt so you can compare if you wish you can remove the extra added info files from your phone...)

Using getprintmgr meta doctor application script, when run it will create a TAR of the files (extracted from webOS 3.0.5) copy the content of the TAR to the root of the Phone, phone must be rebooted after install for it to take effect...

Run the script ./scripts/getprintmgr

It will pull down the webOS 3.0.5 doctor (unless you copy the jar file into downloads)..

Then it will extract the Print Manager modules and puts them into a TAR file.

But you need an application that has Print functionality and by default no Phone app has that...

To get Adobe Reader (you can get the IPK from the App Catalog-debug switch from Touchpad com.quickoffice.ar_10.3.492) or you can extract it from the webOS 3.0.5 doctor/touchpad (an older version /usr/palm/ipkgs/com.quickoffice.ar_10.3.484_ARM_release-arm.ipk, added a script below for this) use QuickInstaller/Preware/or your favorite method to install the IPK on your Phone...

Run the script ./scripts/gettpipkgs

Once Adobe Reader is installed, go to Device Info to change Default Application of PDF from PDF View to Adobe Reader...

Need to use a file manager to launch a PDF like InternalzPro (Adobe Reader's Interface does not work on the Phones, but if launched with a PDF, it will open it and you can click the printer icon on top)...

Other Touchpad Applications for printing should work although their interfaces might not (YMMV)...

V2- Print Manager (removed Touchpad Enyo Parts they are already part of Enyo on Phones)
    V1- Print Manager and Touchpad Enyo Parts...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by John Steffes; 11/07/2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

But you need an application that has Print functionality and by default no Phone app has that...

Other Touchpad Applications for printing should work although their interfaces might not (YMMV)...
    I've installed Quick office HD sometime ago. The UI was quiet ok and the printing box was there (but of course it never found my printer. I think it can be a good candidate also 'cause it doesnt need Filemanager to launch.
    Here are some screen shots:

Oh My...App Tuckerbox: Printing on Pre3?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    I've installed Quick office HD sometime ago. The UI was quiet ok and the printing box was there (but of course it never found my printer. I think it can be a good candidate also 'cause it doesnt need Filemanager to launch.
    Here are some screen shots:

Oh My...App Tuckerbox: Printing on Pre3?
    Yeah I have tested both on my PrePlus now for a long while, (only kept Adobe Reader, as I could never get QuickOffice HD to edit documents, but it can read more then the default QuickOffice) just wanted to prove it worked on Adobe Reader (as I know that works), tesing now with QuickOffice HD, well it stays on a Preparing to Print screen, rebooted Phone and still no printing from QuickOffice HD 2.2.247... Sorry will try more later, time is slipping away from me again...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 11/06/2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Could the 3.0.5 photos and email app be brought over too? They both have built in printing...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Could the 3.0.5 photos and email app be brought over too? They both have built in printing...
    You could also patch the phone apps to add in printing options. The code in the 3.0.5 apps seems to be quite separated so it shouldn't be that hard for a good dev
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Worked for me with Pre 3/AT&T - 2.2.4 and an old HP Deskjet 6800

You, sir, are a mad genius. I love it!