1.    #1  
    In 2011 my Palm Pre just died. Or rather it became demented. Its touch screen would randomly activate itself and nothing I did could fix it, it was unusable. So I gave up and decided to go Android.

The thing is, I'd bought the Pre in 2009 and I had three years of data -- contacts, calendar notes, messages -- in my profile. So just today I acquired a possibly refurbed Palm Pre Plus. I walked it through activation and actually got to the part where I successfully keyed in my original profile login. But then I was warned that my first device was still using the profile and that I should back it up. Obviously I can't, that first device is essentially kaput.

What I'm worried about is, if I go ahead and activate with my new unit, will my Profile in the cloud get screwed up, overwritten or otherwise vanish? It's the cloud data I basically want to recover, I don't care what happens to the first unit. Need some guidance here

thanks
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alcarun View Post
    ... kaput.

What I'm worried about is, if I go ahead and activate with my new unit, will my Profile in the cloud get screwed up, overwritten or otherwise vanish? It's the cloud data I basically want to recover, I don't care what happens to the first unit. Need some guidance here

thanks
    Don't worry. Go through the process. Afterward your data will restored. Your data will be transferred, but not your Apps until you've installed the AppCat Update. Search in this forum, how to solve this problem.
    Btw: German? ;-) then you can also search at nexave.de/forum
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
    Don't worry. Go through the process. Afterward your data will restored. Your data will be transferred, but not your Apps until you've installed the AppCat Update. Search in this forum, how to solve this problem.
    Btw: German? ;-) then you can also search at nexave.de/forum
    Thanks! I went ahead and did it, though I notice my text messages weren't backed up, so I guess they're still stored in my first unit.

Nein, not German, although I did buy my first Pre in Berlin, which I've visited a lot

thanks again for the swift reply and advice, Gwidion
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    You're welcome.
    SMS will be stored in Profil with webOS 2.x. For webOS 1.x is in Preware save and restore an alternative for backup SMS
  5.    #5  
    Thanks again, so Pre's SMS, contacts and calendar aren't stored in the cloud? So I still have to extract it from my original unit? Arg, the problem is it's touchscreen is totally unresponsive and randomly activates itself. Is there anyway to hook it to a PC without using its touchscreen and then extracting the contents?
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alcarun View Post
    Thanks again, so Pre's SMS, contacts and calendar aren't stored in the cloud? So I still have to extract it from my original unit? Arg, the problem is it's touchscreen is totally unresponsive and randomly activates itself. Is there anyway to hook it to a PC without using its touchscreen and then extracting the contents?
    Calendar and contacts should stored in the cloud, in your webOS Account. SMS not. (for devices with webOS 1.x)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
    Calendar and contacts should stored in the cloud, in your webOS Account. SMS not. (for devices with webOS 1.x)
    Alas, when I logged on to my profile with the new device (actually a Plus running 1.4.5) I didn't get my calendar and contacts back. I don't know if they're in the cloud, but they're still on my old Pre, the one with the non-functioning touch screen.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Ok. I'm out.
    If you login in your old profile, the data has to be there. :-(
    No clue what the reason is.
    The only reason I could think is if your backups were off or failing on your old phone. From what you said, I take it your contacts and calendar are in your Palm Profile and not a cloud account like Google or Exchange?