Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gfdos.sys
  1.    #1  
    Due to the expiration of the HP webOS root certificate on July 23rd 2013, HP issued an update to ensure users of webOS devices can continue to access the HP App Catalog and other services including Backup. This means if you have NOT done the following steps yet you will NOT have access to the App Catalog nor will you be able to restore your Palm Profile apps from the catalog, nor will you be able to update stock apps on your device despite Software Manager telling you there are updates. Members, please link folks here and use replies to this post for additional certificate related troubleshooting solutions.

Follow these steps:
    1. In the app launcher browse to Date & Time
    2. Change Network Time to Off
    3. Manually set the date to July 1 2013 (leave this card open because you'll come back to it)
    4. Open the App Catalog
    5. Search for “App Catalog Update”
    6. Tap the “App Catalog Update” app
    7. Tap “Download for Free” or "Free" to download and install the app
    8. Once it is installed go back to the Date & Time card
    9. Set the date back to today
    10. Turn Network time back on

webOS Nation published the original issue http://www.webosnation.com/hp-issue-...cloud-services

HP's published solution https://web.archive.org/web/20140819...licationupdate

Thanks to @RumoredNow (just wanted to unembed your post) app catalog on touch pad
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 01/01/2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Replaced HP's solution with archive.org link
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    If you are experiencing issues with App Catalogg (yes catalogg with 2 gs) the below may help.

The below issues were with a Verizon Pre 3, but I expect they would also affect any Pre, Pixi, or Veer that has a Sim card -- also known as WR (World Ready) or ROW (Rest Of World) devices.
    The below should not happen with any thing made for Sprint as they don't have sim cards.

(I found this all out because I activated my Pre 3 on a Verizon 250 Min/250 text/10MB data plan. I didn't want to go over the 10MB so I hit airplane mode as soon as it would let me and turned on wifi)

The App Catalog uses some info from the sim during the setup/installation -- probably has something to do with App Catalog selection and availability based on country.

Here are the symptoms: Phone Activates, and after signing in to your hp(palm) profile, it downloads info on what apps you had downloaded from the App Catalog, so it can pull them back down for you. It may even download many of your applications before it figures out the whole cert expired thing. Following the instructions above will get you to a point where the App Catalog shows a yellow triangle with ! inside, and trying to open the App Catalog will result in opening Software Manager, or a blank card and then a web page that trys to go to index.html and goes no where. Additionally if you do manage to get the App Catalog Update to download, and try to run it, the App Catalog will change its name to App Catalogg and you will still have Both App Catalogg and App Catalog Update with yellow triangle with ! inside.

In my case I found it was because I had the phone on airplane mode, and the phone data radio was off, therefore the access to the sim card was not possible.

The solution I found was to turn airplane mode off, make sure wifi was connected and then try to reinstall the App Catalog Updater now available in Software Manager (which launches when you try to open any app that has the yellow triangle !).

To prevent data usage on the cellular network in my case (since I'm around wifi most of the time) I went into the Phone app, click on the carrier name in the upper left and go to preferences and accounts and scroll down to Network section -- turn Data Usage off. This ment that the sim was still available when I installed additional software, but it wouldn't accidentally use cell data -- only wifi. NOTE: this is not required if you are on a more expensive data plan -- but just what I did so that I could assure I was using wifi only (which is faster than 3g most of the time anyway) and still be able to satisfy the App Catalog need for seeing that sim card when installing things.
    Remy X likes this.
    I'm going to second the notion that the SIM card matters. I have spent an hour or so trying to get my Veer back to normal after the dreaded "phone is full" error that wiped everything out. I could not get past having the app catalog updater installed and executed to being able to get maps to reinstall properly. Catalog was OK, maps would still give the "download failed" error. As soon as I installed the SIM card -- did NOTHING else -- it was able to download maps. Quite the quirk.

With the doomsday scenario playing out courtesy of HP, I'm doing all I can to ensure the Veer is good to go. Next step, getting a disk image backup of this thing so if it ever fails again, I can get a full reinstall without having to go through the hoops and worrying about no cloud access.

Alex
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    The weird thing is that it only seems to need it once in a while. My Preł is almost always in airplane mode to prevent accidental charges, and every once in a while I get that error and have to turn on the phone radio for a minute to fix it.
    This solved it for me!
    Last edited by jack6128; 10/30/2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: unquoting
    Hi,
    I have a old PRE2 with outdated certificate - and I'm using my PRE3 with my account.
    Is there a way to get the new certificate applied anyway on my PRE2?

//Dennis
  7.    #7  
    Use WOSQI and install this https://app.box.com/s/dk65sbfp0qmjrj7iaj44

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Worked - Thanks!

Now I can't get rid of the update icon ...

Is it still possible to create a new HP/Palm account for the old phone? I guess I have to delete the current one on the PRE2 first?

//Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Use WOSQI and install this https://app.box.com/s/dk65sbfp0qmjrj7iaj44

9.    #9  
    Update icon?

Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    The cert-update icon - it dissapeared after reboot.

/Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Update icon?

He may be referring to the 'App catalog update' icon that appears in the launcher when you install the update ipk.
    Yes, he did

//Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    He may be referring to the 'App catalog update' icon that appears in the launcher when you install the update ipk.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimonse View Post
    The cert-update icon - it dissapeared after reboot.

/Dennis
    Stinking Taptalk cached the thread on me so I didn't see your reply. I didn't realize it disappears after a reboot.. perhaps that's why I couldn't find it on any of my devices when I was trying to validate my post.
    np.
    But to my other question:
    I did this a while ago:
    http://www.webosnation.com/swap
    but now I was thinking of using that old PRE2 as a backup phone with another SIM-card.
    So, can I still create a new profile and get the PRE2 up and running (probably without any of my old apps)?

//Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Stinking Taptalk cached the thread on me so I didn't see your reply. I didn't realize it disappears after a reboot.. perhaps that's why I couldn't find it on any of my devices when I was trying to validate my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimonse View Post
    np.
    But to my other question:
    I did this a while ago:
    Swap your Palm Profile between multiple webOS 2.x phones (homebrew) | webOS Nation
    but now I was thinking of using that old PRE2 as a backup phone with another SIM-card.
    So, can I still create a new profile and get the PRE2 up and running (probably without any of my old apps)?

//Dennis
    If the servers are still allowing new profiles to be created, you can use Impostah on your old Pre2 to create a new one (on the main screen tap 'Activation' and then tap 'Create new profile' at the bottom of the next screen. Honestly, there is really no need to even have a profile on it, because you can use the methods previously posted to download all of your apps and install them on any webOS phone you have. The script and the pivotCE website methods are preferred as you don't have to delete and reinstall your apps to download and save them. The links are below. The Takeout method is probably easier for the average person. If you are comfortable with the command line, the script is faster.

Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 2: HP Takeout | pivotCE

Script to save all your app IPKs in one step