Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By iDG
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  1.    #1  
    I've tried all the steps.
    Pull battery and hold up button and attach to computer.
    Hold r button and attach to computer.
    Any ideas?
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
  2.    #2  
    Help?

Can you use this method :

Power On , hold Ctrl + Sym + R , release Ctrl + Sym , hold R

goodluck
  4. iDG
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJim View Post
    Help?
    This seems the most reliable method, for me:

1 Disconnect the USB cable
    2 Completely power off the device (hold down the power button until the option to power off appears)
    3 Remove the battery
    4 Connect the USB cable and wait for the battery image to appear on the screen (or wait around 10-15 seconds)
    5 Hold down the Up button on the volume rocker
    6 While holding the Up button, insert the battery. The USB logo will appear on the screen
    Remy X likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks but I tried that. :-(

6.    #6  
    Help please!

See my comment in your other thread.

Basically, the Pre3 is a beautiful piece of junk, thanks to the fact that HP laid their hands on it. If 20% of them died within three years of manufacture, I would not be surprised. That's just the reality of using 3rd rate components, and HP has done that many many times, across many product lines. "Sudden death" in HP desktops is something I've seen too many times back when I was doing repairs for a living.

Your phone might still be repairable, but we are getting to the point where a board-specific circuit tester will need to be built and somebody would have the tricky job of desoldering failed components and replacing them with ones from other donor boards...
  8.    #8  
    That bad huh?

Quote Originally Posted by PreJim View Post
    That bad huh?
    Pretty much

Considering the number of Pre3's that have escaped into the wild after the entire product line was scrapped by HP, (relatively few) and that most ended up in the hands of diehard webOS users, they have an awfully high defect ratio compared to other webOS phones. They feel nice and solid, but the electronics in them have a finite lifespan.

The HP-era devices like the Touchpad, Veer and Pre3 have a tendency to go "toast" all by themselves after a certain length of time, and each time one of them "dies" or becomes unusable, there is a pattern to the types of components that fail.

The Pre+ and Pre2 also have their share of defective units that get troubleshooted here on the forums, but when it comes to failure, they are usually done in by a bad drop, a chronic overheating condition or a dip in the toilet. Broken USB ports are common, but gently handled hardware of that era doesn't become "senile" over time. This is because Palm put decent quality electronics inside relatively cheap plastic shells. HP did the opposite, just like they've done this to PCs, as far back as ten years ago (if not longer.. i'm only 23 ..in a few days)

Also, if you hang around in the forums long enough, you'll notice how many dd Pre3 owners here have their own "graveyards", of one or two Pre3's that they've used at some point and have kept for parts. This isn't so much because of rarity or people dropping them and breaking the screens, but the fact that they are so prone to failure, and no one wants to wait for a replacement to come in the mail. Some are kind enough to sell parts out of their personal collection, but usually for a market price. And then there's this guy who won a Pre3 in a Mobile Nations giveaway, only to discover that the camera on it never worked. And the three people who have mailed their UK Pre3's to HP and never heard anything back.

It paints a pretty grim picture..

As much as i wish there was something i could say to make you feel better, that's just the way things are. HP doesn't care about "endurance" or longevity of their devices, only about lowering production costs, and from what i can see, the defect rate of the Pre3 is 50% higher than that of the Veer...

Best of luck to you

It doesn't look 100% hopeless yet. But please keep a healthy attitude and not let this get you down if things don't work out..
    Last edited by Remy X; 07/28/2013 at 08:01 PM.
    namgod likes this.