1.    #1  
    here's what i did THIS time:

i bought another Pre2, as a backup in case i drop the one I'm using.

Of course, i had to activate it to get this app catalog certificate updated before next week.
    So I pulled the comm board from my current FrankenPre2 (on sprint), put it in the new Pre2, ran the appropriate GSM unlocked meta-doctor, and used it for the day. It works fine, ok great.

So I pulled the comm board out, put it into its original Pre-, ran the OEM Dr., activated and used the Update Network Settings and update PRL, to confirm the board was current. Activated fine, Pre- still works fine.

Then I pulled the comm board out, and put it back into the FrankenPre2 which had been in airplane mode since I removed it. I expected to just plug back in and be up and running.

which it is...SORTA. AND HERE'S WHAT I NEED HELP ON:

It doesn't say "Sprint" as the carrier in top left.

I've got full bars and EV icon.

I can make calls, I can get on the web, i'm using free tether right now to type this on my PC.
    ##(myMSL) shows the correct phone number and msid. All the data looks right in ##786 and ##DATA

I've logged into my Palm profile thru the Backup app no problem. It backed up too.
    I've gone into Impostah and completed the Activation successfully. It shows device profile, it shows palm profile. The app cat has pay items and has my card info.

but somehow the phone doesn't know it's connected. So when i make a call and then hang up, it displays the "call dropped" message.

DO I HAVE TO RUN THE METADOCTOR AGAIN, and lose all my apps and patches i've installed? or is there a way to make the phone realize duh, the phone IS working and connected to the Sprint network??
    Hmm... interesting...

I wish i knew the answer.. hmm...i wonder if there is a file like "carrierdb" that can simply be updated...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Hmm... interesting...

I wish i knew the answer.. hmm...i wonder if there is a file like "carrierdb" that can simply be updated...

that's what i was hoping i could do something from a command line.

but i'm about to just blow it out. in the time i waited for someone who knew, i'd have the phone doctored and apps replaced anyway. it's just more work, but i dont have anything to do anyway, and i'll sleep better knowing it's done instead of waiting. trying to see the bright side here. i just hope it restores when i meta-doc. here i go...

hopefully somoene else still advises on this. i'd like to know just to learn what to do or why.
    You can remove and reinstall the same comm board as many times as you want - there is no need to re-doctor if it is the same radio. I did this several times when I was building my two FrankenPre2s.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You can remove and reinstall the same comm board as many times as you want - there is no need to re-doctor if it is the same radio. I did this several times when I was building my two FrankenPre2s.
    Matt, this statement has just confused the heck outta me. Because I thought this would be true as well...but it didn't seem to fly. The Pre2 was not happy that I just shoved the board back in and powered up.

So i'm about to erase apps and data, pull the comm board, put back into the Pre- and run Dr. for 1.4.5, update network settings again, then remove and reinstall in FrankenPre2, and re-run meta-sprint-franken-verizon 2.1.0 to activate it. FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME.

i don't know what else to do to be completely thorough about it, and i don't know enough about scripts to build my own. i'm glad i at least got the meta Dr installing with Ubuntu finally.