1.    #1  
    There are four different resolv.confs in WebOS. Which one takes precedence?

/etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/pmnetconfig/resolv.conf.default
    /tmp/resolv.conf
    /tmp/resolv.conf.default

/etc/resolv.conf sets itself back to 127.0.0.1 no matter what is done. I'm guessing that an internal DNS cache? A the same time it's able to resolve local hostnames that are only defined on my network's primary DNS server. What is the hierarchy here?
    Quote Originally Posted by b3d0u1n View Post
    There are four different resolv.confs in WebOS. Which one takes precedence?

/etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/pmnetconfig/resolv.conf.default
    /tmp/resolv.conf
    /tmp/resolv.conf.default

/etc/resolv.conf sets itself back to 127.0.0.1 no matter what is done. I'm guessing that an internal DNS cache? A the same time it's able to resolve local hostnames that are only defined on my network's primary DNS server. What is the hierarchy here?
    I believe that dnsmasq overrides it? Try editing /etc/pmnetconfig/resolv.conf.default. I suspect that will hold it over.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  3.    #3  
    It looks like dnsmasq is set to look at /tmp/resolv.conf for the user set name servers and becomes a cache for them, and then rewrites itself into /etc/resolv.conf or some other process does. I wonder if webOS apps look to a different resolv.conf than command line, UNIX-based apps.
  4.    #4  
    So, I just noticed that /etc/resolv.conf is symlinked to /tmp/resolv.conf.default which contains 127.0.0.1 as the sole nameserver. I wonder what script writes that temporary file?

At any rate, I changed the symlink to /etc/pmnetconfig/resolv.conf.default where I entered my desired nameservers and everything seems alright now. If I connect to another network I guess I'll need to change it back, but the Touchpad rarely leaves the house anyway.

Is dnsmasq there solely to act as a DNS cache or does it serve some other purpose? webOS has no reason to be a DHCP server, and that function is disabled by default in /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf anyway. I realize none of this is really a big deal, but I noticed dnsmasq was breaking reverse lookups of machines on my network (forward resolution was alright, though). Everything is fine now.