1.    #1  
    I've already Googled it but I haven't found the answer yet so maybe one of you guys know.

I'm wondering how to increase the RAM for the webOS Emulator 3.0.5 Since it doesn't show up in VirtualBox I can't increase the RAM that way so is there some way to increase the RAM for it?

-- Sent from my Emulator using Communities
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    In my VirtualBox the RAM is shown (see screenshot) and I can also adjust the amount in the VM's properties. But I haven't tried if the increased amount will be accepted by the emulator.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    could be wrong but i think i had virtualbox open, then ran the emulator from terminal and virtualbox somehow gained the required entries, i can print off a screenshot of the options in question so you could perhaps manually add them.

EDIT: aded a pic that may or may not help.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    But I haven't tried if the increased amount will be accepted by the emulator.
    At least the increased memory is shown on the console (see screenshot).
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    heh i wonder if the emulated sdk version of webOS could somehow be supplanted/shoehorned into a x86 based tablet with some modifications, tho im not sure how useful that could be if at all, but hell it would be another "look what we did" type affair.
    IIRC the emulator defaults to a small amount of RAM (I think 256MB or something), so increasing it to 1GB or more will definitely help. I don't think it has a swap partition either, so it'll be quite a PITA if you run out of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    heh i wonder if the emulated sdk version of webOS could somehow be supplanted/shoehorned into a x86 based tablet with some modifications, tho im not sure how useful that could be if at all, but hell it would be another "look what we did" type affair.
    Someone will need to make hardware to emulate VirtualBox first. But of course, if we ask for the emulator kernel source code, other hardware combinations should be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    IIRC the emulator defaults to a small amount of RAM (I think 256MB or something), so increasing it to 1GB or more will definitely help. I don't think it has a swap partition either, so it'll be quite a PITA if you run out of RAM.

Someone will need to make hardware to emulate VirtualBox first. But of course, if we ask for the emulator kernel source code, other hardware combinations should be possible.
    in another post you said the structure of webOS sdk was different to a "normal" webOS device in the way var/etc partitions were built, is the SDK/emulated method better to play around with or is the "normal" way best?
    I'd still say having things partitioned and linked is more robust. If you don't mess up the rootfs you can just format var, db, and filecache. In the emulator everything's flat. Also the emulator seems to automatically populate var with stuff even if you remove all the contents.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    could be wrong but i think i had virtualbox open, then ran the emulator from terminal and virtualbox somehow gained the required entries, i can print off a screenshot of the options in question so you could perhaps manually add them.

EDIT: aded a pic that may or may not help.
    Thanks! Having VirtualBox open while running the emulator for the first time did the trick! I've changed the RAM now from 512 MB to 2048 MB. Thank you so much!