Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hi

first, understand my broken english

I have to study upstart to programming webOS further.

But It's the first time heared the name of 'upstart'

moreover I'm not a Linux user and don't even study C language deeply

so I don't know what is the first thing that I have to

Somebody give a some advice or tutorial.

thanks.
    Hi JG Kim,

You can learn about developing for the webOS Platform from the Developer Center. Here are a couple of links to get you started:

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...first_app.html
    Docs | Enyo JS
    Open webOS
    RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
    Are you wanting to do app development or system development? Apps are typically made with the Enyo framework in JavaScript, while some of the lower level components (such as those which may be found in the Open webOS project) are written in C++.
    Where did you hear the name 'upstart'?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi JG Kim,

You can learn about developing for the webOS Platform from the Developer Center. Here are a couple of links to get you started:

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...first_app.html
    Docs | Enyo JS
    Open webOS
    It seems to be helpful to make basic knowledge
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Where did you hear the name 'upstart'?
    Actually I just join a company.
    senior said Inorder to do our task easily you have to know upstart. So study yourself.
    That is first time that I heared upstart.
    I know It's really huge thing to me.
    Now I'm installing ubuntu on VirtualBox. webOS SDK installed on my desktop.
    Naturally I'll install upstart on ubuntu and manipulate it at my pleasure.
    I'm afraid don't know what's the next step at that moment.
    That doesn't make too much sense. You could be working for a startup company. Upstart is a daemon for handling system startup and shut down, much like the original init scripts. You won't encounter it in regular development with the SDK, so unless you're writing parts of LunaSysMgr I don't see what upstart has to do with anything.

So tell me, what are your goals? To write a cross-platform app based on the Enyo framework, or to work on core components of webOS?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    That doesn't make too much sense. You could be working for a startup company. Upstart is a daemon for handling system startup and shut down, much like the original init scripts. You won't encounter it in regular development with the SDK, so unless you're writing parts of LunaSysMgr I don't see what upstart has to do with anything.

So tell me, what are your goals? To write a cross-platform app based on the Enyo framework, or to work on core components of webOS?
    Manipulate and control the webOS rendering technic is my goal.
    In order to make test easily, have to know upstart I think.
    That task overwhelm my ability, but there's no way. I just do it.
    Give me any tip or advice.
    Please, please, I beg you to start with Enyo. Lately some new webOS devs started on learning Mojo which is dead and buried while Enyo is the way forward. So please, if you really want to program for webOS, start out with Enyo and not with Mojo.
    OK, that's weird. Don't know if you're working for a company interested in furthering Open webOS development or something, but whatever.

To start LunaSysMgr:
    Code:
    init start LunaSysMgr
    To stop LunaSysMgr:
    Code:
    init stop LunaSysMgr
    That's all you really need to know. The rest of the rendering stuff is done within Luna itself, and doesn't have much to do with upstart.
    Re: upstart.

I believe something is being lost in translation. Focus on that word is obviously a divergence in the thread.

I took it to mean "from the ground up" and of course I could be wrong too.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    OK, that's weird. Don't know if you're working for a company interested in furthering Open webOS development or something, but whatever.

To start LunaSysMgr:
    Code:
    init start LunaSysMgr
    To stop LunaSysMgr:
    Code:
    init stop LunaSysMgr
    That's all you really need to know. The rest of the rendering stuff is done within Luna itself, and doesn't have much to do with upstart.
    You don't even have to use init; simply start or stop LunaSysMgr is sufficient enough.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 03/19/2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Re: upstart.

I believe something is being lost in translation. Focus on that word is obviously a divergence in the thread.

I took it to mean "from the ground up" and of course I could be wrong too.
    It is actually the crux of the matter. His boss told him to learn Upstart and he thinks that learning about webOS will help. Probably won't much though.