Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm sure it is possible.. all the patch does is add a value to a config file.. if one can track down the appinstallercleaner, depending on what it is written in, it may be patchable. Otherwise a process would need to be created to periodically clean out the installers in the temp folder.

Edit - it seems to be part of a binary, so it will not be patchable.
    Thanks for the info. Of course, I have more questions!

I have a program called CCleaner, which removes old temp files, empties caches and deletes cookies etc.
    1. Can John Steffes' process above be run directly on the device?
    2. If so can it be made into a simple app?
    3. If not, can a script or program on a computer be run via novaterm?

If any of that is possible, extra / optional clean up possibilities could be added and might recover a lot of space for the general user. CCleaner has options for including / excluding folders and ignoring recent temp files etc.

As the camera no doubt causes the accumulation of lots of pictures, a cool feature would be a slide show. Set the speed and for each picture decide: Keep, Export, Delete. Exports are moved to a folder to copy off via USB.
    GreenHex likes this.
    Gaah! How did I miss this thread when it started!

My Preł crashed last week, so I've spent the past 5 days getting my backup Preł running and configured. All went well, except...

...one of my favorite database apps has been removed from the catalog (why, oh why?).

There goes my entire DVD movie list.

OK, that's not a huge tragedy (I still have all my contacts, emails, and calendars), but it is a huge PITA to find another app and re-enter all that data. I doubt that I'll find anything nearly as easy to use, as it was designed specifically for keeping media catalogs (books, CDs, DVDs), which it did in a most elegant fashion. Sigh.

I've tried contacting the dev, but have gotten no response to my plea for an ipk. I'm not sure that he's even checking his email (the web site looks abandoned, and email goes to the same domain).

Question for this thread: Would it be unethical (or against forum policy), at this point, to mention the app's name and ask if anyone else had already saved the ipk?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Gaah! How did I miss this thread when it started!

My Preł crashed last week, so I've spent the past 5 days getting my backup Preł running and configured. All went well, except...

...one of my favorite database apps has been removed from the catalog (why, oh why?).

There goes my entire DVD movie list.

OK, that's not a huge tragedy (I still have all my contacts, emails, and calendars), but it is a huge PITA to find another app and re-enter all that data. I doubt that I'll find anything nearly as easy to use, as it was designed specifically for keeping media catalogs (books, CDs, DVDs), which it did in a most elegant fashion. Sigh.

I've tried contacting the dev, but have gotten no response to my plea for an ipk. I'm not sure that he's even checking his email (the web site looks abandoned, and email goes to the same domain).

Question for this thread: Would it be unethical (or against forum policy), at this point, to mention the app's name and ask if anyone else had already saved the ipk?
    Not as of yesterday's announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by monday206am View Post
    Not as of yesterday's announcement.
    BTW...a quick clarification....

In the post above, I was referring to developers that have abandoned the platform (and their app[s]), especially those that are none-responsive or otherwise unavailable. Clearly they no longer value their work and/or no longer care, just as HP no longer cares to support the community.

Sorry to be blunt.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by monday206am View Post
    BTW...a quick clarification....

In the post above, I was referring to developers that have abandoned the platform (and their app[s]), especially those that are none-responsive or otherwise unavailable. Clearly they no longer value their work and/or no longer care, just as HP no longer cares to support the community.

Sorry to be blunt.
    No need to apologize.. somebody has to
    I'm trying to install this patch on a Pixi Plus with webOS 1.4.5.1. Did I miss something that it's not compatible?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I'm trying to install this patch on a Pixi Plus with webOS 1.4.5.1. Did I miss something that it's not compatible?
    It does not seem to work on 1.x. I tried some time ago. I originally thought it worked, but what really happened was the install simply failed because I had not patched the app catalog yet, and it left the exploded IPK in the tmp folder. The best approach there would be an open shell with a copy command ready, and a quick finger on the Enter key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It does not seem to work on 1.x. I tried some time ago. I originally thought it worked, but what really happened was the install simply failed because I had not patched the app catalog yet, and it left the exploded IPK in the tmp folder. The best approach there would be an open shell with a copy command ready, and a quick finger on the Enter key.
    Well I think I'll just copy over the folders from the apps folder and rebuild using ipk manager. Less "itchy trigger finger".
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    GreenHex likes this.
  9. vgg
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Well I think I'll just copy over the folders from the apps folder and rebuild using ipk manager. Less "itchy trigger finger".
    Where do you get ipk manager from in order to do this?

Cheers

V2

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by vgg View Post
    Where do you get ipk manager from in order to do this?

Cheers

V2

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Jason Robittaille's "ipk packager"... it's a Java app, and it's either posted here on the forums or on the Internals wiki
    For fun - I just tried to install this patch on TouchPad GO and it worked too.

---
    BTW - I was able to install Pre3 apps on TP GO
    (from appcatalog: transferring IPKs from Pre3 to PC and use WOSQI 4.5.1 to install on TP GO).
    And on TP GO these IPKs were left over in /internal/media/.developer

all fine !
    Last edited by MartinH@webos; 10/18/2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: corrected myself - actually everything worked as expected !
    I've been reading the thread and it has been helpful for my Pre3. But I've run into trouble with my TP. For some reason when I install the patch it tells me I need GNU Patch and it is missing. Any idea where I can find the GNU Patch?

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    I've been reading the thread and it has been helpful for my Pre3. But I've run into trouble with my TP. For some reason when I install the patch it tells me I need GNU Patch and it is missing. Any idea where I can find the GNU Patch?

Jim
    You can just download wTerm from Preware, and do it the command line way. Just keep in mind that to do "Shift+ZZ", you'll need to hold down the Shift key on the on-screen keyboard. WTerm doesn't lock the Shift key the way webOS does
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post

Jim
    Actually - I think I installed the patch on different devices with WOSQI 4.5.1 and that nicely detected dependency to other tools ("apps"/"patches") and it install these too. I had to try it two times and then all dependent items were also installed.
    Very nice !
    Last edited by MartinH@webos; 10/19/2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
  15. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi everybody,

bad news for the rest of the webOS users, but expected.

While it is quite easy to archive the apps itself, what is about the content of the AppCatalog, the pictures, descriptions or reviews? How do we get archived all this valuable information?

Anybody already working on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Hi everybody,

bad news for the rest of the webOS users, but expected.

While it is quite easy to archive the apps itself, what is about the content of the AppCatalog, the pictures, descriptions or reviews? How do we get archived all this valuable information?

Anybody already working on this?
    Maybe...

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3426664

My source is out of date, but, webOS appcatalog

The (potential) problem is comphrehensively searching the primary source - the app catalogue itself. If this is possible, then I expect a fair amount of data can be downloaded.

You could use this to manually search for your apps: appcat.tk maybe there's a way to automate it with a list, but it's apparently not possible to just search for 'everything'.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I haven't thought of a clever intro for this, so I'll go straight to the point. When you download an app off of App Catalog, it downloads a package file, and installs from that. However, even if you look hard, you won't find the file anywhere. You might have caught a glimpse of it during downloading or install, but it disappears as soon as the install is done. There is an easy way of disabling this behaviour.

Here's the app installation workflow:
    1. User requests app download from App Catalog frontend.
    2. App Catalog rounds up the necessary info, and sends it to LunaDownloadMgr
    3. LunaDownloadMgr processes the data, and does some preparation work. It downloads the app icon, and tells App Catalog and LunaSysMgr about it.
    4. It then downloads the app IPK.
    5. When done, it calls the App Installer service (in LunaSysMgr) and tells it to install the app.
    6. LunaSysMgr calls ApplicationInstallerUtility to install the app.
    7. ApplicationInstallerUtility does stuff, eventually calling ipkg.
    8. When done, App Installer does some cleanup, including removal of the source IPK.
    9. Everything is informed that the app is installed.

As you can see, the App Installer service removes the source IPK, and that's why you can't find it. A couple of things to note:
    1. IPKs are downloaded to /media/internal/downloads, just like anything else you download on webOS
    2. The source IPK removal happens regardless if you install from App Catalog or not. As long as you use the App Installer service to install apps, the IPK will get removed.
    (So that's insurance for myself that I'm not defeating some security measure in App Catalog, because the behaviour is completely independent of App Catalog, even though its intentions might be specifically for App Catalog.)

OK, enough technical details. How do we disable this behaviour? Simply, add an entry into the Luna settings file.

Procedure
    1. You need to have shell access to your device, either on the device itself or via a computer. I'm not going to list the details of how to get shell access, since I've probably written about it in some of my other tutorials in my resource list. Check there first.
    2. Once you open a shell, type these commands:
    Code:
    rootfs_open
    cd /etc/palm
    cp luna.conf luna.conf.bak
    vi luna.conf
    The above remounts your rootfs as R/W, backs up your luna.conf file, then opens it up in vi (a text editor).
    3. Enter:
    Code:
    /debug
    This will search for the text "debug" and jump there. At the bottom of the screen you can see what you're typing.
    4. Hit "I" on your keyboard, then use the arrow keys to navigate to the end of the Debug list, so your cursor is right below "DumpLauncherAtlas=false".
    5.Type the following, and inserting a newline at the end, for formatting:
    Code:
    AppInstallerCleaner=0
    6. Press Escape, then Shift-ZZ. This saves the file.
    7. Type:
    Code:
    rootfs_open -r
    This will reboot your device.

After that, pick any app to test, then when the app's done installing go to /media/internal/downloads (or go into USB Drive mode and find the downloads folder), and you should see an IPK file with the app's name in it.

Too much to follow? Apply the attached patch.
    thank you for setting that up... I ran thru last night and I was able to grab all my purchased apps and all the free ones that I had downloaded
    Preemptive and Remy X like this.
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    If install the .ipk with WOSQI and download my apps, will I be able to uninstall it once im done or would I have to doctor it to make sure its all good?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    If install the .ipk with WOSQI and download my apps, will I be able to uninstall it once im done or would I have to doctor it to make sure its all good?
    You should be able to uninstall it. But in any case, it doesn't do much, and will not "break" your device in the way that requires doctoring. It's just setting a debug flag that's specific to post-install ipk deletion
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Is there a way to incorporate the modified Luna.conf file in a patched webOS doctor? It would be nice have all the ipk files saved as my apps are being restored.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk
    Palm III -> IBM WorkPad c3 -> Palm TX -> HP Touchpad
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast