Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    If you're talking about the regular Preware feeds (rather than App Tuckerbox), the IPKs are trivial to obtain. Just go to ipkg.preware.org and browse for the file you want. As for Tuckerbox, I haven't looked closely at how it works, so this may or may not be very beneficial.
    I'm not talking about App Tuckerbox.

Yes, even though Preware IPKs are easy to obtain at ipkg.preware.org, users of this mod should be aware that then all apps installed via the Preware feeds using the Preware app will have their IPK files saved/retained on their device.

Some (myself included) may think it's beneficial to have these IPK files as an automatic backup, but others may want to manually delete/move these extra files off their device.
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    This method has worked for me to keep backup copies of *.IPK file and relies on copying the file to another directory after or during the install process just prior to deletion of the IPK. Works on both my Pre+, Pre2., and TouchPad. Not near as elegant as editing your luna config file though.

Touchpad Fans: How To Get App ipk Purchased from HP Catalog (Linux CMD))
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
  3.    #23  
    I actually sort of use the method you linked to, though even less elegant. I actually paused the download, found the file name, changed it a bit, then resumed and copied while the app's installing.
    This patch is one of this forum's hidden treasures. It makes me wonder what else I'm missing deep in the threads of this forum. This is awesome! Thanks GMMan.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Excuse me. Just install the patch is more than enough to avoid the above-mentioned steps of this tutorial?

if it works. this is what I came looking for webos long ago. thank you
    Last edited by joshua764; 01/24/2014 at 06:57 AM.
    Exactly!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Your patch saved my TP.
    When I try to install the patch ,I get a 1 out of 1 hunk failed error. What could I be doing wrong to cause this error?
    Thank in advance for any help.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizraim73 View Post
    When I try to install the patch ,I get a 1 out of 1 hunk failed error. What could I be doing wrong to cause this error?
    Thank in advance for any help.
    A few things. What webOS version and device is it? How did you download it? It is not compatible with webOS 1.x, and ant be downloaded using the browser on the phone or Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    A few things. What webOS version and device is it? How did you download it? It is not compatible with webOS 1.x, and ant be downloaded using the browser on the phone or Touchpad.
    Oh ok. I have a pre plus with WebOs 1.4.5.1. Is there a way to do it on what I have?
    Quote Originally Posted by mizraim73 View Post
    Oh ok. I have a pre plus with WebOs 1.4.5.1. Is there a way to do it on what I have?
    I manually edited the config file on a 1.4.5 device but it didn't work. If you can find the ipk for 2.x it will work. (probably all versions will work)
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Great if the app is available still, unfortunately not all installed apps still reside in the catalog
    That's true. Before trying this trick to retain the ipk, do make a backup of what you have bought first. You need to remove the installed app first to download it. But some apps are not downloadable anymore.
    To take it a bit further, don't remove an app without first checking the app catalog to make sure it is still in there.
    T-Pad likes this.
    This is a great option, however, once this is invoked not only does it retain the IPK in downloads, but it also retains the extract of the IPK...

Once you have backed up the IPK, and you want to get some space back, you can remove the IPK's from the download section, but what about the extract?

Novaterm into device and look at the following location:

Code:
    cd /media/cryptofs/tmp
    ls -l
    Wow lots of files that are normally removed after an install of an App...

Open up Device Info look at available...

Where did it all go to... (record # -A)

Now back to Novaterm...

Wow their (incapsula) Proxy does not like the ReMove command, please remove the space in rm below:

Code:
    cd /media/cryptofs/tmp
    ls -l
    r m -rf * 
    ls -l
    Now all gone...

Open up Device Info look at available... (record# -B)

Take recorded #B - recorded #A, now look how much was used, for me I was at .5 now I am at 2G available...

When you only have 16GB which only about ~13G is usable (because of file system layout), even though I like to retain my IPK's I also like to retain my space...

I have tested this on five devices all which had not had the option turned on and the tmp directory was empty, once invoked this tmp directory gets filled (when an app is installed) and you loose your USB space...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/12/2014 at 03:38 PM.
    barryb20, broncot and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    This is a great option, however, once this is invoked not only does it retain the IPK in downloads, but it also retains the extract of the IPK...

Once you have backed up the IPK, and you want to get some space back, you can remove the IPK's from the download section, but what about the extract?

Novaterm into device and look at the following location:

Code:
    cd /media/cryptofs/tmp
    ls -l
    Wow lots of files that are normally removed after an install of an App...

Open up Device Info look at available...

Where did it all go to... (record # -A)

Now back to Novaterm...

Wow their (incapsula) Proxy does not like the ReMove command, please remove the space in rm below:

Code:
    cd /media/cryptofs/tmp
    ls -l
    r m -rf * 
    ls -l
    Now all gone...

Open up Device Info look at available... (record# -B)

Take recorded #B - recorded #A, now look how much was used, for me I was at .5 now I am at 2G available...

When you only have 16GB which only about ~13G is usable (because of file system layout), even though I like to retain my IPK's I also like to retain my space...

I have tested this on five devices all which had not had the option turned on and the tmp directory was empty, once invoked this tmp directory gets filled (when an app is installed) and you loose your USB space...
    Nice job John! I went from .6gb free to 1.3gb!
    Is there a way to modify the patch to delete these temp files but still save the IPK?
    Worked on my TouchPad too, although that list was much shorter, only freed up .2GB.
    Last edited by broncot; 05/20/2014 at 03:30 PM.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Wow, I never knew the temp files weren't getting cleaned up. I think they moved between 1.4.5 & 2.0 and I didn't look hard enough. I'm kind of glad because now I can take a closer look at what is in some packages. I haven't had much luck opening IPKs in the past.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/20/2014 at 05:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Wow, I never knew the temp files weren't getting cleaned up. I think they moved between 1.4.5 & 2.0 and I didn't look hard enough. I'm kind of glad because now I can take a closer look at what is in some packages. I haven't had much luck opening IPKs in the past.
    7-Zip does miracles for it on Windows You will get a data.tar which you can then open. Followed by a . which you can open, then usr, palm, applications and the application name For example net.minego.phnx

Inside that application folder you'll find the application source code

See picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Yeah, I have been able to use 7-zip before, but it hasn't always worked for me. Even under Ubuntu sometimes I've had problems opening them. It's weird.
    So is it possible to improve the patch or is there a routine it could run to clean up the extracts?
    I'm sure it is possible.. all the patch does is add a value to a config file.. if one can track down the appinstallercleaner, depending on what it is written in, it may be patchable. Otherwise a process would need to be created to periodically clean out the installers in the temp folder.

Edit - it seems to be part of a binary, so it will not be patchable.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/22/2014 at 01:33 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast