webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Tips, Info & Resources > permanant removal of some logs
permanant removal of some logs

Old 01/10/2013, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

while still on a hunt to remove logspam and numerous other things that assist us creep ever slowly towards the old "application database full" message when /var fills up (i know we can expand it now but would rather try to circumvent that whole issue), i thought id scour the forums for information new and old and came accross.

Setting your logging to "minimal" really speeds up Pre!

here rod obviously mentions some common sense information.

Quote:
The only negative effect turning off logging can have is that if your device has a problem, Palm will not be able to help you diagnose the problem. Also, if your device has an application or operating system crash, Palm won't get any information in the automatic diagnostic upload that happens in those circumstances.
he also shows how to clear out these logs, then i got thinking, i tried editing /etc/PmLog.conf and changed the stdlog entry from /var/log/messages to /dev/null as these are typically the biggest thing in /var/log, granted theres the option of doing it normally in that .conf, change the max filesize and how many of them can exist but i wondered what would happen if they just got redirected to oblivion instead.

inside PmLog.conf theres way more logs than just "messages", i wondered has anyone changed the whole lot to /dev/null before and if so, as rod mentions in his words of wisdom in the linked post, does anything of importance break if all logs are automatically redirected into oblivion as well.

rod obviously mentions devs need all those logs, or palm/hp/whoever, but for joe average user, do we need them, and is it safe to basically disable the whole lot?

cheers.
Old 01/10/2013, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just so you know the logs are stored on a separate partition, so although it's under /var/log, it is actually separate from the general /var partition. So it doesn't contribute to /var filling up. The performance increase is not having to write it in the first place.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Just so you know the logs are stored on a separate partition, so although it's under /var/log, it is actually separate from the general /var partition. So it doesn't contribute to /var filling up. The performance increase is not having to write it in the first place.
hmm weird, ive cured my previous warnings regarding app database full messages before by wiping out large logs and gz/backups of the logs in /var/logs before. Ah well even if its of no help there is it still useful to not have the logs written at all?. Is there an actual performance gain of worth in the long run? Hell even if i saved a small scrap of battery power on the pre3 id be happy.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0