1.    #1  
    Hi All!!

I've been a long time WebOS user (since the original Pre) but I've finally decided to give up the ghost and sell my pre3 on ebay. I've managed to accumulate a lot of apps over the years and would like to transfer my palm profile over to the new owner. what's the best way of doing this?

I can go to https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface and change the email/password etc to the new owner but how do i delete all my synced memos and messages? how do i remove my payment details?

or, should I not bother and just sell my Pre3 without the palm profile?

Thanks!!!

Joe
    I wouldn't risk it.... even if say you deleted anything and then ran a backup that could remove the other synced data there are a few things I would be worried about.

First Palm Profile back ups and restores are very finicky, you don't always get the same result every time, so even though you think the data is gone I would be worried that something goes wrong and that data is put back on the device. The other potential problem is say the palm profile servers were to go down and they had to revert to an earlier stored version of your profile before it was erased (longer odds on this probably, but it would worry me).

The last thing to think about, at this point (1 year after the Pre3 launched). Most of, if not all of your most likely buyers probably already have a Palm Profile from a previous webOS device. I can't think of anyone (except maybe an HP employee that got the device last year for $50) that has joined webOS brand new with just a Pre3, everybody at least had another webOS phone or TP prior to dropping the money on an almost unreleased device where the majority of them have no warranty.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I wouldn't risk it.... even if say you deleted anything and then ran a backup that could remove the other synced data there are a few things I would be worried about.

First Palm Profile back ups and restores are very finicky, you don't always get the same result every time, so even though you think the data is gone I would be worried that something goes wrong and that data is put back on the device. The other potential problem is say the palm profile servers were to go down and they had to revert to an earlier stored version of your profile before it was erased (longer odds on this probably, but it would worry me).

The last thing to think about, at this point (1 year after the Pre3 launched). Most of, if not all of your most likely buyers probably already have a Palm Profile from a previous webOS device. I can't think of anyone (except maybe an HP employee that got the device last year for $50) that has joined webOS brand new with just a Pre3, everybody at least had another webOS phone or TP prior to dropping the money on an almost unreleased device where the majority of them have no warranty.
    Thanks, I think you're right. I'll just wipe the phone before I sell it (seems such a waste!)
    Erase everything manually (Memos, Messages, Accounts, etc), make three or four backups, turn off the Backup Service and; after all, turn on Backup Service again, making another backup again.

Simple and I believe that solve the case.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Another option is to follow the stopdevicewipe procedure found at the webos internals wiki.

It will leave the apps but disconnect the phone from the profile. However, the new owner will need to login using impostah to get app catalog access and 'backup' may not work as usual.