Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  1.    #1  
    In the last few days I run into deep troubles after my /var file partition was filled up (100% on my Pre3 ATT 2.2.4 and to 96% on my TP64GB 3.0.5). Fortunately I was able to fix this now - after reading the tip at Fix "Not Enough Storage to Download" error (homebrew) | webOS Nation

Here I want to share what kind of troubles I encountered on the devices that had full or nearly fully /var partition:
    1. I could not start some (bigger) apps like navit. (Not even after a reboot)
    2. I could not run several apps in parallel. The TMC error appeared quite frequently - even few hours after a reboot.
    3. I could not download app updates. Available app updates were indicated (in Program Manager) - but downloading failed at all times.
    4. In Preware I could not download updates. I could select such updates - but these failed up until the /var space was available again - after I fixed this issue.
    5. Some patches (device menu) and add-ons (mode switcher) did no longer work as expected.
    6. I could not even use the webos alarm clock: I could not delete or add existing alarm entries and I could not enable any existing alarm. When setting the switch to ON - it was set back to OFF automatically within seconds.
    7. In the phone app the setting for "Enable data connection" was changed to ON automatically. [I myself keep this switched OFF all the time as I do not use a data plan. (This happened automatically at the time I returned from France to Germany - and when my local provider became available again.)]
    8. The launcher bar was reset to some default configuration (which includes app icons for the phone and the email app). My configuration setting for the launcher bar was lost/overwritten.

All see symptoms did not directly indicate that the troubles were caused by a full /var disc space.
    If you encounter similar or other issues and find out that the /var was full in your device then please add the symptoms that you encountered as a reply to this post. This might help people with the same symptom to check out the available space on /var.

I needed to search for related forum posts to get the idea that I need to clean up my /var content.
    Perhaps we should have some webos diagnostic app (a real doctor) that checks such known trouble areas and that offers help to fix such problems.

I think webos itself needs some warning/error display when there is only little space left on this important /var partition. If possible the space should be managed by the system itself (luna). Such fix should be included in a future webOS update from HP.

I hope this area of troubles is addressed with Open WebOS !
    Last edited by MartinH@webos; 09/08/2012 at 04:26 PM.
    I wrote something a few days ago regarding the same issue. Your list is much thorough than mine. I think the reason there's no alert saying "Your /var is full!" is because device users aren't supposed to know what goes on behind-the-scene. If one was confronted with such a message, they wouldn't know what to do. The better idea, as you said, is automatic maintenance. The partition is quite small (64MB), so trimming is important.

Some of the contributing systems for filling up /var:
    -IM avatars
    -ContextUpload logs
    -Downloads database
    -Browser bookmark/launchpoint thumbnails

Those seem to take up the most space. Everything else is either always around the same space, empty folders, or on other partitions.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Your list is much thorough than mine. I think the reason there's no alert saying "Your /var is full!" is because device users aren't supposed to know what goes on behind-the-scene. If one was confronted with such a message, they wouldn't know what to do. The better idea, as you said, is automatic maintenance. The partition is quite small (64MB), so trimming is important.
    Yes, today on a stock device the user can not even find out that the /var is full. You need some terminal access and a bit linux knowledge. At least you need a file browser like internalz pro to find out this trouble maker.

I assume all kind of strange misbehavior's (symptoms like I described above) can happen when /var gets full. I wonder how many users already run into this situation without knowing this limitation.
    It appears that several things can contribute to fill up the /var.
    In my case the file /var/luna/data/downloadhistory.db grew overtime which was mostly due to using the "Mapping Tool Pro" app from the official HP app catalog. Downloading many map tiles grows this file like crazy. See my related maptool posting: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3350406

I think today there is nothing in webos to prevent this situation and over time almost every user will run into this trouble - now or later. Doctoring the device is not an acceptable solution for this flaw. This needs to be fixed by HP.

Meanwhile it might be helpful for regular users if someone could provide an app (at least in preware) to diagnose this problem and to offer a "fix it" option.
    If I can snag some time this evening... I'll post instructions for increasing /var, dbcache, and file-cache. I am going to also try to add support into Tailor, and then create a patch that will modify the "You must reset your device and sign back into your Palm Profile" error...

EDIT: Also, I may see if it makes sense to add into Tailor a method to clean up "special" partitions (like var).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    MartinH@webos likes this.