webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Tips, Info & Resources > Wi-Fi Calling
Wi-Fi Calling
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By pro2
  • 1 Post By MartinH@webos

Old 08/28/2012, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

My AT&T service sucks in our neighborhood and Verizon is no better. My wife changed to T-mobile because they have Wi-Fi calling. It's a great feature for calling from the house or anywhere they have Wi-Fi, but you have to buy one of their smart phones to use it. She ended up with a crappy semi-smart phone (Samsung Dart), but at least now she can call from home. I sure would like to be able to use Wi-Fi calling on my Pre, has anyone figured out a way to do that?
Pro2 in NW Florida waiting on Hurricane Isaac...
pro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2012, 06:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

humm I'm in p'cola here waiting for the rain from Isaac I've never heard anyone mention anything about being able to make calls over WiFi .
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2012, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

or skype?
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2012, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Easy peasy....

setup a google voice number and get G-Voice (now SynerGV) from the app catalog (read the descriptions first to make sure it has the features you need and you get the version you want), pretty sure that will take care of your needs and also work on TouchPad if you have one. You can hit up eblade on here goes by ekdikeo on twitter he is the developer of the app, great guy and still actively developing his apps.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by pro2 likes this.
Old 08/28/2012, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks loads OldSchool. I checked out the web site on Google voice and didn't see enough info to tell me if that was what I was really looking for. Keep your head down man, I see you have tornado warnings there now. We expect them here soon when that same feeder band hits us.
I'm an old VW dude also. Sold my last one (a 1960 sunroof beetle) several years ago.
Now driving a Jeep Wrangler, great fun too.
Old 08/28/2012, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Glad I could help.... yeah you folks are gonna get some crazy weather, everybody stay safe in the south east!

The developer of gvoice is really active and responsive I bought the app and I don't even use it personally. Bought it to support one of our many great webOS devs.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 08/28/2012, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
humm I'm in p'cola here waiting for the rain from Isaac I've never heard anyone mention anything about being able to make calls over WiFi .
ShaDavis;
Sorry, I got my VW guys mixed up. We're everywhere!
Check out the T-mobile web site about Wi-Fi calling. It works great and it's totally seamless, automatically works whenever you're in range of a Wi-Fi net. Your call minutes still count against your plan. Wifey is on a pay-as-you-go plan.
Looks like we both dodged a bullet on Isaac as it was predicted to hit us head on earlier.
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 08/28/2012, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

You can use Skype for wifi calling with a $5 per month plan. I have it linked to my Google Voice account so I can use the number for unlimited texting as well. My Skype number rings on my TP's as well as my Pre 3. I'm on Verizon.
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2012, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
You can use Skype for wifi calling with a $5 per month plan. I have it linked to my Google Voice account so I can use the number for unlimited texting as well. My Skype number rings on my TP's as well as my Pre 3. I'm on Verizon.
And this is why webOS community is awesome.... less than 12 hours from posting multiple confirmed solutions, gotta love it!
Old 08/28/2012, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

GVoice Pre is in my app catalog but not the other, Syner?. Unfortunately, the GVoice app requires webOS 2.0 and up. That rules out my old Pre+ unless I attempt to force it to run 2.0 which I'm not inclined to do. I s'pose I could install it on my touchpad and use bluetooth to call via the Pre+. I'll look into that.
My 2 sons and I got hooked on air-breathing VWs when I was working in SoCal in 1984/84 and it was fun for all of us and great training for them.
Thanks again...
Old 08/28/2012, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

GVoice Pre should work on 1.4+ .. however, it doesn't really do what you're looking for. Google Voice provides texting and call forwarding abilities, but not direct VoIP calling.

The only VoIP calling software for webOS is the Linphone alpha, which has had quite a bit of work done on it in recent months, and I've heard is working quite nicely.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2012, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
Thanks KayPhoonstar, I'll look into that approach too. But it doesn't look like G-voice is going to work on my old Pre+.
I got all excited when I saw your username, then I realized I had misread it. LOL
Old 08/28/2012, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro2 View Post
Thanks KayPhoonstar, I'll look into that approach too. But it doesn't look like G-voice is going to work on my old Pre+.
I got all excited when I saw your username, then I realized I had misread it. LOL
Sorry, I missed the fact that you're using a Pre + . You really need a Pre 2 to get Skype functioning correctly. The 2.2.4 Dr. for the Pre+ isn't really stable enough for reliable daily use and you really need 2.2.4 to have Skype.
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2012, 06:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok, thanks eblade and everybody for the helpful suggestions and info. I luv webOS and the Nation. Keep the hope alive!
Old 08/28/2012, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
GVoice Pre should work on 1.4+ .. however, it doesn't really do what you're looking for. Google Voice provides texting and call forwarding abilities, but not direct VoIP calling.

The only VoIP calling software for webOS is the Linphone alpha, which has had quite a bit of work done on it in recent months, and I've heard is working quite nicely.
Thanks for clarifying! Glad you got in here.

@OP, as the other person posted didn't realize we were talking 1.x I've been so engrained in 2.x and 3.x the last year plus I forget about even thinking about 1.x features.
Old 09/08/2012, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yes, I'm using Linphone alpha on my Pre3 and on TouchPad and it works pretty much ok for being in alpha state.
At home I have a Internet modem router (Fritzbox 7270) that hosts my landline and it runs a SIP service. At home I connect to this SIP service and I can make and receive calls on my webos devices over Wifi and going through my landline.

Others are using Linphone to connect to their internet SIP provider.

Regards, Martin - from the land where VW was born
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0