webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Tips, Info & Resources > Switched Phones and Palm Profile Locked Me Out
Switched Phones and Palm Profile Locked Me Out

Old 08/06/2012, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

I used my Palm+ for everything but the phone although I intended to do so by now. Unfortunately I acquired a Veer before that and decided to activate it. I did, then set up a "palm profile" on it. It asked me if I wanted to create a new profile or use one I already had. I chose the latter. This is what happened.

The Veer gave me a message I had entered incorrect info. I couldn't figure out what that meant but I couldn't back out. Eventually i shut off the phone. I used my Pre+ in the meantime. All OK. Went back to the Veer and watched as it downloaded information and apps from my Pre+. How great! It figured it out!

Later, I tried to use my Pre+ and got a message that I had been removed and asking if I wanted to totally obliterate all the data left or would I prefer to "just set up the phone" (something like that).. That's the one I chose. Then I came to the set-up-a-profile screen. It doesn't matter which of the wide range of two choices I pick here because it requires a cell connection I don't have.

I do wonder how it is Palm can connect well enough with my phones when it comes to monitoring or removing profiles except not now, after it has bricked my phone.

Please tell me there is a way out of this and how to do it!

UPDATE --------------

OK, after entering ##43574357# using the emergency call function (once again, I wonder how come Palm can't do this) I was able to get to a screen with the phone's information and Reset Options at the bottom. You can either erase everything on the drive or just Erase Apps & Data. I believe the data is only what is associated with the apps. Under the circumstances, I was glad to have this much of a chance.

Now I'm at the beginning of the phone set-up and it's asking me what language I want. I'm leaving it right there for now. I'm hopeful I'll be able to get back to status quo ante someday. I haven't found any better answer yet, although I see I'm not the only person to have encountered this problem.

Last edited by perryoxide; 08/06/2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: update
perryoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

I believe you can only have one phone associated with a Palm Profile. Logging in with the Veer it assumed it was an upgrade and assuming the Veer is running a different version of webOS than your Pre+, your profile has probably been updated to reflect a new webOS version. I imagine nothing good is going to happen if you keep trying to make each phone share that profile.

Log into your profile from a web browser (https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...ge.iface?rvn=1) and see what version of webOS it says. Whatever phone that corresponds to is the one I'd use for that profile and then setup another profile for the other phone to use.
ALuckyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2012, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Right. I think that's what happened, too. But it's unreasonable to expect me to sign up for cellphone service I don't want or need and cannot use or afford — just to regain the use of my own friggin' property. From where I sit, this seems less like a "feature" and more like a booby trap.

At the very least, Palm (or whoever the hell is running the place) should provide a simple way to back out but they don't and it's beginning to look as if it doesn't exist. That strikes me as deliberately negligent because, as i said, I've noticed I'm not the only person to have this problem nor is it new. So I'm beginning to think the answer might be to do as you suggest: spend the 50 bucks to get my device back, then force the responsible party to reimburse me.

I think that can be done in small claims court. I also think it's more than likely I would prevail, if not on the merits of my case, then by a default judgement if the defendant doesn't show up. Either way I'll be happy.

Thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion, though.
Old 08/16/2012, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can use Palm's activation bypass tool (it is a developer tool used originally for dev phones) to get back into your phone, but as has been said, you can't have the same profile on two phones. The tool automatically enables developer mode so you can use WebOSQuickInstall to load Preware. After you get in, you can enable WiFi and that will be your only usable connection without cell service. Then you can either use Impostah to create the new profile or run the command to launch the first use app, which is what you are seeing now. Instructions for all of this are available on here somewhere.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 05:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
You can use Palm's activation bypass tool (it is a developer tool used originally for dev phones) to get back into your phone, but as has been said, you can't have the same profile on two phones. The tool automatically enables developer mode so you can use WebOSQuickInstall to load Preware. After you get in, you can enable WiFi and that will be your only usable connection without cell service. Then you can either use Impostah to create the new profile or run the command to launch the first use app, which is what you are seeing now. Instructions for all of this are available on here somewhere.
Thanks very much for that concise summation of the steps needed to regain my phone without having to sign up for cell service to unbrick my device. I only wish i could understand it well enough to do it. But, from what I understand, I'll have to do something like this to get homebrew on my phone so I guess i ought to give it a try. I do thank you for your help!

However, in the meantime, I did shell out forty bucks to satisfy Palm/HP/Whoever and it's back on now,

I was very happy to see all my music and pics were still there — all I'd lost was the data associated with the palm profile that was switched to the Veer, which isn't really lost anyway. That was what initially worried me the most when this little episode began more than six weeks ago. I don't need to know it anymore, but I still hope someone will post the solution to this problem, assuming there is one and I doubt. it.
Old 11/13/2012, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

is it possible to log back into my old pre to get the data off? I didn't realize I would be locked out of it. I want to get some Notes and other stuff, then set it up for my kid to use
crazybirdman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pre plus, profile, veer

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0