1.    #1  
    I'm a Pre 3 owner and a heavy user of data. As any other Pre 3 owners will know, that is not a good combination.

After seeing drahgon's http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...you-think.html thread I decided I would try and set up something similar for Mode Switcher 2.x

I've been trying different Mode Switcher profiles over the last week or so and I think I have found the perfect combination of settings to provide much extended battery life.

There are three profiles I'm using to extend my battery life and I'll explain each in detail as I go. The config exports are also attatched to this post. I had to add .txt extension to get the uploader to accept them. You might have to remove the extension, I don't know.

First can I just say all of these are based on idea's and profiles by drahgon. If I hadn't of found his thread I would of never have done this so all credit goes to him and of course Janne Julkunen for making Mode Switcher in the first place,

This guide assume you have Mode Switcher, Govnah and Uberkernel installed and have data OFF in your Default Mode and Wi-Fi set to ON and you also have profile in Govnah with the CPU limited to 1GHz. I called the profile Low Battery.

Auto Data Enabler

Based on draghon's Data on Demand profile with one key difference. Instead of the main trigger being a foreground application it's screen unlocked. The reason being, I had issues with the foreground trigger. Example: Using the AuctionMate Pro app would simpley refused to load up properly as the app was loaded before the data connection kicks in. Drahgon did mention this as a known issue but I just had too many problems with data switching off before the app reloaded etc. Screen State triggers are definitely the way forward. Maybe not as good for battery but I think a necessary compromise.

Settings:

Phone - Enabled
    Data - Enabled
    Wi-Fi - Do Not Set
    Bluetooth - Do Not Set
    GPS - Do Not Set

Network Type - Automatic

Triggers:

Required - All Triggers
    Display State - Unlocked
    Mode Change - Default Mode Active
    Wi-Fi Network - Disconnected

Timed Data Enabler

The second profile I'm using is based on part of drahgon's Data on Demand profile. Specifically the timed part.
    The only change I made was to increase the frequency of data on. Data will be switched on for five minutes every hour on the hour providing the screen is locked. After all, if the screen is unlocked, data is already on.
    The reason I increased the frequencey is my need to be kept up-to-date with email's, Facebook etc. Once again, maybe not a conseravtive as Drahgon's profile but still helps a lot with battery life.

Settings:

Phone - Enabled
    Data - Enabled
    Wi-Fi - Do Not Set
    Bluetooth - Don Not Set
    GPS - Do Not Set

Network Type - Automatic

Triggers:

Required - All Triggers
    Display State - Locked
    Time Interval - 1 hour Active for 5 minutes
    Wi-Fi Netowrk - Disconnected

Battery Saver Mode

The last of my three modes is Battery Saver Mode. Activated at 20% battery and based on drahgon's Phone Only Mode but much more agressive. As well as having every radio save the phone radio off. It also lowers the screen brightness to 25, totally disbales the blink notification, reduces the screen lock time to 15 seconds, lowers all the system sounds to 50, switches to 2G only mode and finally switches Govnah to a profile I set up with a maximum CPU speed of 1GHz.

With those three profiles I have been able to stop carrying my portable USB charger. I have at the very least extended my battery life by 50%.

So if anyone wants to give it a whirl then please do. I'd be happy to hear any idea's for improvement you've got.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by billyboy; 07/02/2012 at 02:35 PM.
    HP Pre 3 8GB on 2.2.4 with Skinomi Carbon Fiber Skin and Mugen 1400 mAh Battery
    HP Veer 4G Panda 8GB on 2.1.2 with clear Ghost Armor
    HP TouchPad 16GB on 3.0.5 with offical HP case.
    nice to see some efficient useage, might have to retweak my own as well, cheers.
    billyboy:

thanks for this. i have a pre 3, which i love, but battery life is definitely an issue.

for some reason i can't get import to work, so i'm relying on your step-by-step instructions. Can you put a similar description up of your Battery Saver Mode?

i'm assuming all these are modifier modes, and all are set to start and end immediately, correct?
  4.    #4  
    Yes that is correct! I'll do a detailed write up of Bttery Saver Mode very soon. I'm currently moving house so I'm a little busy!
    HP Pre 3 8GB on 2.2.4 with Skinomi Carbon Fiber Skin and Mugen 1400 mAh Battery
    HP Veer 4G Panda 8GB on 2.1.2 with clear Ghost Armor
    HP TouchPad 16GB on 3.0.5 with offical HP case.