Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I'm an Android user and I've been looking over webOS for the past few days. Let's just say from the experience with the emulator my love of Android has been superseded by webOS and it's elegance. I just have to develop for it. I want to get my hands on some hardware, but my budget is limited. I figured I'd ask some questions.

1. I intend on getting a lot of hands-on time with webOS so I know how an app should look and feel. So I was considering getting a Pixi Plus or Pre Plus for VZW off contract (I think the Pre 2 is priced out of my range, unless I see someone here selling). I'm assuming the Pre Plus is better choice, but would I be dealing with form factor issues? Android sometimes has problems with resizing apps.

2. Should I doctor to 2.1? On the above, is it even worth it? I want to have a "smooth" experience, though coming from Android I may perceive things differently from you guys as far as speed goes (the emulator was buttery smooth to me!). On the same token, I also want to make sure I support the most recent OS. Just want to know how functional 2.1 would be on either of the above and if 1.4.5 would be missing anything "important"

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope I can bring good products to the App Catalog.
    katefields likes this.
    There are 2.x doctors for the Pre Plus, I don't know how well it runs, though. Naturally not as smooth as on the newer devices. It's also possible to install 2.x on the Pixi, but that's really more of a cool look-whats-possible thing than being usable for everyday.
    You'd miss a lot of important and cool stuff if you choose not to have a 2.x device. Just Type for example, which is awesome. Exhibition Mode. Text Assist. Etc. All in all having 2.x is really worth it.
    You'd certainly have a better experience if you have a current device and webOS version. What about a Veer? They sell relatively cheap, at least on eBay Germany.
    Having apps resize is easy, that basically just needs a few lines of Mojo or Enyo code. There are only three resolutions (for phones anyway). 320x400, 320x480, 480x800. Mojo and Enyo apps are inherently easily resizable (as they're essentially webpages).
    Good luck and welcome
    I would suggest to go for a Veer, more recent hardware, same screen size as a Pixi Plus and quite cheap as well (about USD 100 they go for on Amazon/eBay).
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Veer or any GSM device is out. I only have service with VZW. And I intend using webOS in real life to get a feel for a good user experience.
    ebay has a couple of refurb Pre2 on VZW for $125 which is not significantly more than a NIB GSM Veer.
    And you will get webos 2.x
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    You want to go with the Pre+ or Pre2, there are way more of them in existence than Pixi/Veer. Also something coded for the Pre/+/2 screen will run on the Pre3 with little to no modification. The majority of dedicated users left are running Pre2 or Pre3 and TouchPads. There are still some folks running the older Pre+ and Sprint Pre devices, but most that have stuck around this long have gone to the more solid next gen hardware.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You want to go with the Pre+ or Pre2, there are way more of them in existence than Pixi/Veer. Also something coded for the Pre/+/2 screen will run on the Pre3 with little to no modification. The majority of dedicated users left are running Pre2 or Pre3 and TouchPads. There are still some folks running the older Pre+ and Sprint Pre devices, but most that have stuck around this long have gone to the more solid next gen hardware.
    Thanks. This sort of statistical data is useful. I'll see if I can snag a Pre 2 but the Plus is tempting with the pricing. The real hardware to test on is my biggest concern and what Android taught me was important. Working on slightly older hardware might teach me to optimize better.

Well, we'll see. Thanks for the help and the welcome, everyone.
    The Plus is slower and could be buggy, also does it even run 2.2.4 well which is the latest software? I second the other people to get the Pre2 for more versatility, I saw on marketplace someone trying to sell one for $100, its not worth saving the $60 or so dollars for the plus at this point.

Edit: Here you go
    FS: Pre 2 Unlocked Perfect condition 1 week old
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    As I previously mentioned, I need a CDMA Verizon device. I know I can use it on wifi but I would also like to use webOS as my mobile solution as well. WebOS is just awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by beveragevendor View Post
    As I previously mentioned, I need a CDMA Verizon device. I know I can use it on wifi but I would also like to use webOS as my mobile solution as well. WebOS is just awesome.
    Sorry, here you go on ebay for $90 buy it now.

Palm Pre 2 - Black (Verizon) Smartphone 805931077721 | eBay

edit: this one might be in better condition, you will have to look
    Palm | eBay

Or this one for $103, has 4 star rating whatever that means
    Palm Pre 2 3G WiFi GPS WebOS Touchscreen Camera CDMA Phone Verizon (A Stock) 805931073563 | eBay
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/13/2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Since you intend to use it as your daily driver I would highly recommend trying to get the Pre2. Much nicer hardware and it properly runs 2.x

Even though you can load 2.x on the Pre+, you do not actually get access to 2.x apps (unless that has changed since last year). The app catalog recognizes the device as not officially supporting 2.x and thus not giving access to all available apps. If someone finally found a way to work around this, please correct me.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Since you intend to use it as your daily driver I would highly recommend trying to get the Pre2. Much nicer hardware and it properly runs 2.x

Even though you can load 2.x on the Pre+, you do not actually get access to 2.x apps (unless that has changed since last year). The app catalog recognizes the device as not officially supporting 2.x and thus not giving access to all available apps. If someone finally found a way to work around this, please correct me.
    I use my PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4, it is seen by HP/Palm as a PrePlus and I get the same apps as my Pre2 with webOS 2.2.4, which is seen as a Pre2. I do not see any differences. Now there are issues with Franken Pre's which a Pre2 with a Pre Comm board will show up to HP/Palm as a Pre vs a Pre2, this is where impostah and device profile overrides is for.

I also note issues with the new app catalog where preplus has newer version of angry birds 1.5.3, vs Pre2 with version 1.5.1. App Tuckerbox fixes these issues...
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    John if you can PM with info about that I'd appriciate it.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I have some more questions. Coming from Android development we had to choose an SDK level when making apps. I don't see any fields to define that, so will a Mojo app run fine on webOS 1.4.5 and 2.x? Will I have to create an Enyo variant for 3.x? I'm guessing that apps made with the PDK are "version locked" (for want of a better term).

Thank you again for the tips.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I have some more questions. Coming from Android development we had to choose an SDK level when making apps. I don't see any fields to define that, so will a Mojo app run fine on webOS 1.4.5 and 2.x? Will I have to create an Enyo variant for 3.x? I'm guessing that apps made with the PDK are "version locked" (for want of a better term).

When you submit your app, you can select the software level and hardware that it supports.

You can also add different language descriptions at the same time.

You've come to the right place for answers! Good luck
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's

Mojo apps will run fine on any 1.x and 2.x phones. Mojo apps also run on the TP, but they not necessarily fit the screen nicely - depends on how they're coded.
    Enyo is the way to go into the future though. 1.x phones got Enyo through an update to the stock Maps app some time ago, but I don't know how great Enyo apps run on the Pixi for example.

Mojo apps will work fine in 1.4.5, 2.x.x, and 3.x.x (Enyo) with no problems (a few special cases code will break in the Mojo app on Enyo). If you program your app to use back-swipe on the phones, you will need to add a back button because there is no gesture area on the TouchPad.

Also a good price ( $30 ) on a Pixi Plus for Verizon can be found here on Ebay, note I just found the link and don't know how creditable the seller is.

New Palm Pixi Plus - Black (Verizon) Smartphone AAAAA++++++ 097738569039 | eBay
    If you like any of my patches or apps, donations are appreciated. PayPal Link
    All Donations go towards my college classes & I want to thank anyone that purchases my apps or considers donating to me.
    -- 12 patches & 40 save/restore scripts.
    -Apps-
    Paid:
    Days To Come, Days Gone By, Quick-Keys Keyboard, Days Till Christmas, Days Till Christmas HD, Days Till New Year, Days Till New Year HD
    Free:
    Night Light Timer, webOS Launcher
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Thank you for all the help everyone. I have been doing my research, but the info HP provides for the SDK is kind of... crappy. And there's not as much information as Android. I can't even find an icon style guide! You guys are way more useful and I can tell I'm going to enjoy this community a lot.
    https://developer.palm.com/content/resources.html

You might want to have a look at the webOS 3.0 design guides, and such.

I will admit that our documentation is lacking, but at least it's a ton easier to learn than Android
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Palm webOS: Safari Books Online might be of interest too?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast