Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    My Palm Pre Plus started having major problems, so I went ahead and upgraded to a Windows Phone. I wanted to erase my phone before taking it in and did. I went into "device info" and did a secure erase. However, it took so long that I didn't have time to check the phone at home to make sure it was erased before I left to get my new phone, so I figured I could do it in the store. Unfortunately, when I turned the phone back on, it asked for my username and password before it would let me use it....and, after putting that in, it then starting "restoring" all of my data that's backed up online back to my phone. Great. I stopped the process so AT&T could take out the SIM card for my new phone. Later at home, I found that I was no longer able to get into the phone, because my old SIM card was no longer activated, which meant I could no longer get into the phone to do a secure erase or hook it up to my computer to see what was on it.

I signed into my WebOS account online and selected to have the phone erased, but I still wasn't able to get into the phone to "check" this. I took the phone back to AT&T, and they put in an activated SIM card, and we proceeded to erase it. The phone got stuck right away when it began to do the secure erase and after multiple resets and taking the battery out, it remained stuck every time we turned it on. It wouldn't even respond to "cancel."

I later logged into my WebOS account online and selected that I had lost my phone and for it to erase the data. It did so, but "very" quickly. How do I know the phone is really erased, and can it really "find" and erase the phone without the SIM card in it??

I'd like to donate my phone to soldiers but not if my personal data is still on it. Any solutions anyone? If not, I guess I'll figure out a way to destroy the phone.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    So, what's the best way to destroy a phone? I'm thinking to soak it in soda and then take a hammer to it?
    I'm not familiar with GSM, but you should be able to doctor it.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Thank you, but I don't know what that means. I had homebrew on my phone, but of course, now I can't get into it. I really wish WebOS had alerted me that it was about to "reinstall" everything when I signed back in.
    Can't you just temporarily put the new sim card into your old phone? Then do a secure full erase. If you elected already online to have profile erased, I would think the only things that might be on the phone anyway would be your files, music photos docs etc. You can probably hook up to laptop via usb and wipe them.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Bluenote,
    Great suggestions, thank you, but my new SIM card is a different size. When I hook up the phone with USB, it doesn't show up on my computer.
    Secure erase takes 40+ minutes to complete. I'm not positive, but I think if you interrupt it, it might try to continue wiping when you power it on again, but it'll start the whole process again.

What happens when you boot it up? If you just see the Palm logo for 10+ minutes it's probably doing the secure erase again, in which case you should leave it alone (plugged into a charger) for an hour and see if it finishes. If it shows the activate / sign into your profile screen then it is probably done with the secure erase.

If it remains stuck for more than an hour, or you want to reset it to the factory config just to be sure (you should try to let it finish the erase first if there's one in progress), you can download a webOS doctor at http://www.palm.com/rom and follow the directions. It'll erase everything except the USB drive partition, but hopefully that will have already been wiped by the secure erase.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    ^ Thank you--that is very helpful. Maybe that was the issue--it seemed stuck but really wasn't. I might have a family member with an old SIM card that I could use and try it again (removing their SIM card first just in case it were to erase anything on the card!). I will give this a shot. At least I'd be able to get into the phone and see what's on it! Thank you so much.
    Why don't you enable DEVMODE to bypass activation, open Device Info, reset options "Secure Full Erase"?
    I think being able to enter DEVMODE before activation is only available on webOS 2.0 and above. There's a activation bypass tool for developers but it requires additional steps.

If you manage to get a SIM card, you probably want to make a dummy throwaway profile account so it doesn't sync your old data.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I don't remember seeing DevMode, but thank you.

Good idea about a dummy account! Thank you!!