Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlueRQ
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hello to everyone!

i didn't knew where to put this in the forums, but here you go.. i got this from 10 days ago... sorry haha....

a friend bought a new HP Pavilion dm4 on April 8th 2012, we went to a SAMS's Club in Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico. (Near Monterrey).

it's brand new, in box, not refurbished or demo... and i am totally shure the laptop it's a new model, because i am an HP Partner since 2005, and this Notebook became available about 4 weeks ago... in the HP Store for Resellers,

we bought the computer there, because he need it inmediately and couldn't wait for the delivery time HP gave us since he was goint to travel...

there's and icon in the Desktop that says "Descubre HP webOS" (Discover HP webOS)
    and when you put the mouse over the icon it says: Conoce nuestra familia de dispositivos webOS.
    that means "Meet our family of webOS devices",

as you will see in the pictures above, the icon is the launcher icon but in blue...

this are some pics from the computer... taken with my HP Pre3 haha...

sorry for the "blurry" picture, the camera glass was dirty...

CIMG0347.jpg - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

CIMG0359.jpg - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

CIMG0361.jpg - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

CIMG0362.jpg - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

hp pavilion dm4 hp webOS print screen by rq.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

and this one was taken by my friend, because i mistakenly deleted one that i took....

DSCF3061 no SN.JPG - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

the icon redirects to an App in Program Files Folder, here's the address

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\WizLink.exe" and the app opens...

http://redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?local...n_webOS&TYPE=4

I checked the date the icon was created and is from January 27th 2012... and in the "Add or Remove programs" says the apps where Installed from October to December"

i'll check with my customers and friends to see if they have the same icon...

what do you think? is the icon the one that was supposed to make webOS apps available for Windows?
    or people was supposed to download something? but now it redirects to something else....
    people was going to download and install webOS for x86 or x86-x64 computers?

this is the address for the computer specs...

HP Pavilion dm4-2180la Entertainment Notebook PC (A0Y18LA)

RQ
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/18/2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Interesting

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    What does the program do? After double click on the icon, what does it do?
    Is HP still working on webOS on pc's???
    Another weird episode of webOS resurgence saga!

Quote Originally Posted by bluerq View Post
    Hello to everyone!
    what do you think? is the icon the one that was supposed to make webOS apps available for Windows?
    or people was supposed to download something? but now it redirects to something else....
    people was going to download and install webOS for x86 or x86-x64 computers?

RQ
    I would say no. As you pointed out it's an ad for "webOS DEVICES family", nothing with webOS on x86 or apps.
    The link (properly) redirect to what used to be webOS devices website (TP, Veer, Preł).

Quote Originally Posted by bluerq View Post
    Hello to everyone!
    I checked the date the icon was created and is from January 27th 2012... and in the "Add or Remove programs" says the apps where Installed from October to December"

RQ
    If it was installed from October it means the program has been created months ago prior to "The Announcement". Someone just forgot (didnt bother) to delete these files.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Vos View Post
    Hello to everyone!
    Is HP still working on webOS on pc's???
    No, the only work in progress at HP currently is the open source process.
    I remember seeing this icon on various computers at my local Best Buy. I think they all shipped in the early half of last year. It was probably to promote the TouchPad, but of course now does nothing. The WizLink program is just a redirector. The parameters are probably passed by the shortcut.
    I am typing this in the Quick Web boot of my HP Pavilion dm 1-4010us machine bought last November partly because the spec list advertised that it had webOS. It has a direct boot into Quick Web which is apparently running under a linux with windows not at all involved. This feature is only available only with the AMD version not the intel version. The boot is not available when windows is running but only from shutdown or hibernation. Pressing the second startup key when windows is running does take you directly to the web. When I got this machine it had an hp webos icon which guided you to a page similar to what the initiator of this thread described. The link has been updated on my computer to a more general guide to HP sites and no longer advertises the TP directly although it has links to TP support and accessories. My version of Quick Web is 3.1 build 9791 dated September 2011. My attempts to update to a newer version pictured in HP ads for this type of computer have been unsuccessful although I could download it and tried with the online support. The updated version includes : " Whether you want to check e-mail, make a skype call or simply listen to music- its all ready for you within 30 seconds or less of powering on your PC thanks to HP Quick Web." Not mentioned are pictures shown and a task bar at the bottom showing icons. The picture is eerily similar to that posted in the forums sometime ago with the title "[Rumor] Is this a Touchpad 2.0 Concept?" My version does not have the same views although it does have skype and a few widgets. I have posted on this topic in the past and the possibility of this Quick Web (version 3.0+) being a version of webOS has been poopoohed. I've tried to find out more through the HP forums which seem mostly turgid with no official input. Don't you wish Meg and all those HP honchos would let us peasants in on some of these great secrets? And do it here in webOS nations where the most loyal support is.
    Ad for quick web and rumor for webOS 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It wouldn't surprise me if there had been some sort of intent to make "QuickWeb" from webOS, but it probably ended up being something entirely different. And killed off, as well.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    guys! and girls!

now check this out!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...setup-box.html

RQ
    webOS [[[ ]