Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jjames888
  1.    #1  
    I have been wondering what my next phone will be for a little while. I am not ready to get a phone yet but after trying WebOs briefly I know I want a WebOs phone. I am not afraid of messing around with hardware or rooting my phone. I have very little experience with any smartphones. I am also currently looking at the pre plus or pre 2. I am on Verizon. I do not need a very high end phone and am not willing to pay for a pre 3. I have also been reading these forums for the last 30 minutes.

Could I connect to my home wifi so I would not have to pay for verizon's internet? Or do I still need to pay for that?

If I purchased an unlocked phone how would I know it worked on verizon? It just would right?

If I purchased an unlocked phone do I just activate it like normal?

As I am not getting a phone soon, should I even consider another phone with WebOs ported?

Does the processor of the pre 3 versus the pre plus really make that big of a difference? If it does make a difference and I got the pre plus, should I consider overclocking it?

I know WebOs is going open source. Other than that I don't know much about its future. I know people want to see WebOs in everything from cars to tv's but that all sounded hypothetical. Is there any definitive about its future that is known?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    the future is something we'll know more about "in the coming weeks" (lol). As far as the phone question, yes there is a noticeable difference between a pre plus and a pre 2 and yes you would need to get a specific to verizon pre 2. For activation I know sprint requires a smart phone plan even if you don't use it to its fullest extent or use it on WiFi, so Verizon probably would too. I would still get a pre 2 if you really want to stick with webOS and overclock it too! You won't be disappointed.
    Pre 2 is the best webOS phone Verizon has to offer.

Sent using Tapatalk
    there is no "unlocked" verizon phone. You have to buy a verizon-branded webOS phone. I have the pre3 and pre2 on verizon. Both are excellent phones.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bru3184 View Post
    the future is something we'll know more about "in the coming weeks" (lol). As far as the phone question, yes there is a noticeable difference between a pre plus and a pre 2 and yes you would need to get a specific to verizon pre 2. For activation I know sprint requires a smart phone plan even if you don't use it to its fullest extent or use it on WiFi, so Verizon probably would too. I would still get a pre 2 if you really want to stick with webOS and overclock it too! You won't be disappointed.
    Thank you for your responses. I will probably be getting the pre 2 then based on the group recommended it. I do prefer the form factor compared to the super thin androids out there also.

Also, does overclocking affect the battery life much? I read something where they did a real test on around 120 palm pre plus's overclocked to 720 and 800. The results showed no battery life lost. I just didn't beleive it.

Also about overclocking. How does it effect heat output? I know the phone isn't using its cpu at 100% all the time but still it should effect it some.
    I have my Franken-Pre2 OC'd to 1.2Gz (Uberkernel set to OnDemand) with no effect on battery life, and absolutely no heat issues. It's been an awesome device!
  7.    #7  
    So if the phone has wifi, is it used for anything other than the mobile hot spot feature?
    Newman, 1.2ghz? Dear God, that must be mind-blowing. I'm used to getting maximum overclock performance out of my hardware on PC, usually I am able to push >10% above what other people do .. but my TouchPad halts at one MHz faster than the 1.7 clock speed, and my Pre- and Pre+ halt at over 900, and my Pre2 halts at anything over 1.1.

Clocking upwards doesn't seem to have nearly as much effect on battery life as clocking downwards does, my guess is due to the fact that the CPU is usually spending most of it's time at it's lowest speeds, rather than it's highest.

A warning about battery though, if you have 500+ Skype contacts, don't even think of using Skype on your phone. It's a monster. I don't know where that line starts, my gf notices no difference on her tablet or phone, with only about 30 Skype users, and very little activity, but my Skype is going like mad all day long with dozens of different chats open, and over 500 contacts, and as soon as I turn it on on either the Touchpad or the Pre2, my CPU pegs and battery life sucks.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have some heat issues from time to time running UK screenstate v3 @ 1.2 but battery life isn't bad at all.
  10.    #10  
    I found a pre 2 on ebay for a good price. I got it really from your recommendations. Thanks
    W00sh likes this.