1.    #1  
    Ok, I have a Pre2 that has gone comatose and is stuck at the bootloader (the hp logo shows but it's not glowing yet). I was surprised to find quite a few older threads on "Stuck at hp boot logo" issues (uh oh..). But the doctoring isn't the issue really, I just want to force USB mode so I can offload all my files (unless there is a way to Doctor and keep your personal files intact). VeriZon has already agreed to swap it for a replacement. I did do volumeUP+pwr, and USB mode worked. But I can't get the device to even appear on my computers. Is this USB DRIVE mode, or is it "just charge" mode and I need something else I need to (or can) do to help this? Thanks so much in advance.
    Last edited by copasetic; 01/26/2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    You need the novacom driver yurs pc.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by onecoolguy View Post
    You need the novacom driver yurs pc.
    I actually do. Unless some odd update has disabled it, I am using the same machine I used to install WOSQI and stuff on the phone, yet now it's giving me a driver error. This is why I thought the VOLUP+PWR usb mode wasn't really usb DRIVE mode Does anyone know if it is USB drive or USB passthrough mode? The logic here is that if this mode is for WebOS Doctor, then it would not make sense that this was USB drive mode.
    Does Doctoring wipe out the storage (files and pictures) as well?
    Last edited by copasetic; 01/27/2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    I actually do. Unless some odd update has disabled it, I am using the same machine I used to install WOSQI and stuff on the phone, yet now it's giving me a driver error. This is why I thought the VOLUP+PWR usb mode wasn't really usb DRIVE mode Does anyone know if it is USB drive or USB passthrough mode? The logic here is that if this mode is for WebOS Doctor, then it would not make sense that this was USB drive mode.
    Does Doctoring wipe out the storage (files and pictures) as well?
    in case you're still waiting on an answer, the vol-up plus power button combo does not enable USB drive mode. That is actually called recovery mode which is not what you're looking for. The key combo for USB drive mode is option - sym - U. I'm not sure if it works unless the phone is booted up however. Perhaps you or someone else can confirm.
  5.    #5  
    Believe it or not, a few (like a dozen) restarts later, and some battery pulls, the phone finally came up without resetting at the hp logo. After that point, it DID connect to the computer without any driver issues, and I promptly backed everything up. *Shrug* I don't know what to say, but leaving the battery out all night long seems to be the only thing I have changed in the process. Thank goodness for second chances.
    Having similar issues.
    Screen is cracked (selling parts in other thread). I have used Doctor to reset but wish to remove personal files and images. Since the screen is cracked I cannot activate the reset Pre3! USB mode doesn't work as I haven't activated the Pre!!!!

Any solutions?

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    Having similar issues.
    Screen is cracked (selling parts in other thread). I have used Doctor to reset but wish to remove personal files and images. Since the screen is cracked I cannot activate the reset Pre3! USB mode doesn't work as I haven't activated the Pre!!!!

Any solutions?

Paul

There are many ways to get to the flash drive if everything works, when it does not work, only one way. Use the tellbootie recover command via novacom (always works this is what a webOS doctor does, now I have.always been in dev mode so YMMV) and then use the uImage via novacom to boot a valid kernel. Then novaterm in mount the lvm then the media (being general here lots of posts on this) and one then can tar the whole USB drive and then get the file using novacom. This is documented via hp/palm with the emulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    There are many ways to get to the flash drive if everything works, when it does not work, only one way. Use the tellbootie recover command via novacom (always works this is what a webOS doctor does, now I have.always been in dev mode so YMMV) and then use the uImage via novacom to boot a valid kernel. Then novaterm in mount the lvm then the media (being general here lots of posts on this) and one then can tar the whole USB drive and then get the file using novacom. This is documented via hp/palm with the emulator.
    Very many thanks for your reply.

Would you mind giving me step-by-step instructions on how to go about this since my knowledge of nocacom etc is non-existent.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    Very many thanks for your reply.

Would you mind giving me step-by-step instructions on how to go about this since my knowledge of nocacom etc is non-existent.

Paul
    Paul, there are many posts on using the novacom driver to communicate with the device, please google for solutions... I do not wish to re-post what I and others have already posted... Look for pre3 stuck with doctoring... I have already posted more details in others posts as I am replying via my touchpad I can't put the url's here...
    Yes, I've looked and search for a wide variation in topics without success. Closest I've come is downloading Novacom on it's own but I don't know what is supposed to happen after installation. I've come across this thread about a useful Doctor package that seems suitable for USB access after installation WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor

Is anyone else able to provide a link?

Paul
    I would like to request for the link too, for I ran lvm command, got the folder structure, and nothing inside /media/internal.