Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By paulm64
  • 1 Post By suprolla
  1.    #1  
    This thread is intended to provide links to tips, tricks & advice on how to watch a live event on your webOS devices. Thanks go to ncinerate, ledzepman71 and mcniela for figuring out a compilation of hacks to provide this workaround. Things you will need are listed in the following combination of threads: The -NEW- HULU fix! (for TP)
    working: slingplayer on the Touchpad! (through facebook of all things) (for TP, Pre 2 & Pre 3)
    HAH! - Hulu on my pre2 (for Pre 2 & Pre 3)
    The following links *may* provide this ability on a Pre Plus or Legacy Device albeit untested and most likely involving overclocking and multiple speed, cache and swap patches applied: WebOS 2.2.4 on Palm Pre+ or Pre...
    and: WebOS 2 Upgrade Pre Minus - WebOS Internals
    Also this thread contains other advice on how to watch live and streamed content: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...s-devices.html

As always, these techniques are at your own risk and most likely will involve using the webOS Doctor at some point. Make sure you know how to do that before taking any of the above tasks on. A nice side effect is the ability to stream Hulu and play Words with Friends (via the Facebook app after dismissing the unsupported browser popup). Changing your user agent string has been known to break the ability to use the app catalog so make sure you know how to undo anything you are changing and MAKE BACKUPS of any files you alter. Also thanks go to webOS Internals and this site as NONE of these tasks would be possible without their seemingly never ending tenacity to provide the BEST user based community I've ever known. Viva la webOS!!!

If there appears to be interest in this or any of the above threads please request a "LIVE TV on webOS for Dummies" thread and I will be happy to write up some type of a wiki-like guide to break it down for us.

I personally have been trying to watch TV on a Pre since launch day and found out how to do it today (2 1/2 years since launch). This day marks the end of a long personal journey that has involved quite a bit help from this community. If there is anyone I forgot to thank I apologize. Watching live TV is more of a proof of concept (as ncinerate put it) and for giggles, just to say I can. Since Slingbox won't provide an app for webOS, this just proves it is possible.
    Last edited by matteebee13; 01/24/2012 at 02:36 AM.
    Stay thirsty, my friends
    Don't forget ORB. I know there are links and or instructions around someplace. It works great using the flash based player over the Touchpad. I've also gotten it to work through the stock video player on a 1.4.5 Pre-.
    Thanks for the reference and there used to be premium service that provided live TV native on webOS. I remember over a year ago watching the Florida Gators playing Georgia live on my Pre- and on widescreen TV and satellite dish. Funny part was my Pre was about 3 seconds slower timing wise and was an excellent instant replay, it even had a 7-day trial to check it out, and ran well even over 3G cell service. I'm guessing the service wasn't very legal else others would of used it and it would have been more popular and still available.

Hmm that app or web service came and went...can't remember who offered that live service though. Either way, thanks for the info! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I usually just sit in front of the tv but with my back towards the tv. Then I hold up the touchpad and watch the reflection.
    joedisaster likes this.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    I have had some sucess with the Hauppauge Broadway as shown here:

As discussed in the comments- the initial connection can be problematic and requires clearing cookies and cache a few times.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Since my Slingbox does not support the Facebook app, I just use Splashtop to remote view from my TP what's on my laptop or desktop. This works very well for me.
    ****Reducing Inventory****
    ###FOR SALE###

VZW Pre+ 1.4.5 500/1000 on demand Lithium 418
    White ATT Veer 2.1.2 with 1.4 on demand Lithium 122
    Black ATT Veer 2.1.2 Stock Lithium 196 - broken screen, spare parts
    webOS internals NA Pre3 2.2.4 Stock Lithium 111
    sorli likes this.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reference and there used to be premium service that provided live TV native on webOS. I remember over a year ago watching the Florida Gators playing Georgia live on my Pre- and on widescreen TV and satellite dish.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    I have had some sucess with the Hauppauge Broadway as shown here:

As discussed in the comments- the initial connection can be problematic and requires clearing cookies and cache a few times.
    See also PCTV/Hauppauge Broadway 2T & HP Touchpad (3.0.5), specifically - using the Touchpad with the 2T's Beta Firmware (currently 3.0.532; allows USB recording etc).
    Last edited by zintp; 06/10/2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zintp View Post
    See also PCTV/Hauppauge Broadway 2T & HP Touchpad (3.0.5), specifically - using the Touchpad with the 2T's Beta Firmware (currently 3.0.532; allows USB recording etc).
    Just updated to the latest firmware for my Broadway and my touchpad seems to be working 100% now!

I think it might work on my Pre 3 as well, but I do not get a box on the login screen to enter my pin.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    originally tried TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again (UK freeview) quite a while ago and it sucked/didnt work, now tho it seems to run fine, i have the apps for android/ifail3 and thats what i used them for mostly, now the web driven version works fine on touchpad i just use that, tho sometimes i have to manually alter the quality to low instead of auto if im in a part of the house that gets a bad wifi signal. (damn you thick concrete walls)
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<