1.    #1  
    I received 2 phone calls today from HP in Florida to follow up on an "unsatisfactory" reply to a follow up survey after I called their help number about the boot misery after ota 2.2.4 on my Pre3 ...kudos for the follow up; unsatisfactory was because they told me to call the UK !!

Well, I explained the "implied suitability" law in NJ which does not allow them to get off the hook just because it is not released. It says HP on the phone so they MUST support it for at least a certain amount of time.

Anyway, the conversation went to the thousands of Pre3 devices that are out there with the HP logo and the damage to the already tarnished corporate image. They gave them out to HP employees and now they won't support them; they should have recalled them if that's what they wanted to do. Since they are on the short end here, I suggested they simply offer a 60 or 90 day free support with max 5 calls and unlimited online chats followed by a pitch for cheap extension of the support for say $5-10 first year and thereafter the number of Pre3s will diminish by attrition.

Further, the high cost of corporate image is well known. I suggested they take the established Palm name they own and sell it or use it to keep a shine on it. They could license it to a manufacturer of hardware and the OS ...well, now it's free!

Also, as for the Touchpad, I suggested it might be useful to be an assistive device interface for the physically challenged. It could, for instance, be integrated into elevator panels and the proximity sensor would allow quadriplegic wounded military to receive a Pre3 and use the voice dial reworked to allow such persons to approach the panel and simply say "36th floor" and so be taken...what an idea!

Further, the webOS being so great, why not get the Touchpad together with a bullet proof electronic medical record system and it would wind up in every hospital and doctor's office with secure links to the Pre3 in the hands of the professional...what a cool use!!

Just a coupl'a thoughts. What a shame to relegate this set of great devices to the bin with the pez dispensers. They deserve better'n that...
    I couldn't follow, you started with HP not wanting to honor warranty and somehow ended up with elevators...
    Devices:
    HP TouchPad WiFi 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.2 Kernel 3.0
    HP TouchPad 4G 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.1 MBM Beta
    HTC One (T-Mobile)
    Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
    Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
    afaikafaikafaik $only$ $the$ $euro$ $uk$ $pre3$'$s$ $have$ $a$ $warranty$, $so$ $if$ $you$ $have$ $one$ $and$ $have$ $an$ $issue$ $then$ $ittl$ $be$ $HP$ $UK$ $you$ $need$ $to$ $contact$, $if$ $not$ $then$ $your$ $stuffed$ $as$ $was$ $advertised$ $clearly$ $by$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $websites$ $and$ $forums$ $when$ $aquiring$ $any$ $pre3$.
    Any US branded Pre 3's were sold with no warranty. This was stated when provided to the purchaser. Therefore you agreed to that by purchasing the product. If you have a UK branded Pre 3 then it is supported in the region the device was manufactured for (UK). It seems based on your long post and from what you have stated with the conversations you have had that you was provided the correct information.

You can reference any laws you would like, but the CS reps are not going to have that information, if "laws" are the route you would like to take you should speak to the HP legal department.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Any US branded Pre 3's were sold with no warranty. This was stated when provided to the purchaser. Therefore you agreed to that by purchasing the product. If you have a UK branded Pre 3 then it is supported in the region the device was manufactured for (UK). It seems based on your long post and from what you have stated with the conversations you have had that you was provided the correct information.

You can reference any laws you would like, but the CS reps are not going to have that information, if "laws" are the route you would like to take you should speak to the HP legal department.
    ...the phone came branded HP with warranty papers in the sealed box and HP sends OTA updates to it ...it is, under law in NJ, under warranty ...there is no variance from that ...other states differ. If HP does not acknowledge the warranty, then the state imposes a generic warranty on it. That imposition has been tested many times in court and it sticks. It originally emanated from the many used car dealerships in NJ where the vehicle warranties were not being honored. Now they must, and if they go out of business, they must purchase an aftermarket warranty supplier for their business and former clients.
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    ...the phone came branded HP with warranty papers in the sealed box and HP sends OTA updates to it ...it is, under law in NJ, under warranty ...there is no variance from that ...other states differ. If HP does not acknowledge the warranty, then the state imposes a generic warranty on it. That imposition has been tested many times in court and it sticks. It originally emanated from the many used car dealerships in NJ where the vehicle warranties were not being honored. Now they must, and if they go out of business, they must purchase an aftermarket warranty supplier for their business and former clients.
    I'm not a legal assistant and our CS reps do not have legal guidance. So they are advised as per HP policy the devices are sold as is, which is without any warranty, if you are stating otherwise then your best recourse is to go through legal support.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I'm not a legal assistant and our CS reps do not have legal guidance. So they are advised as per HP policy the devices are sold as is, which is without any warranty, if you are stating otherwise then your best recourse is to go through legal support.
    my intent was to try to point out to the caller who called me, not the reverse, that HP, having many devices out in the wild bearing their corporate logo prominently, is missing a high value public relations opportunity to make positive daylight out of this nightmare by offering some low cost solutions for those who might remain loyal customers.

My devices work well and do not, afaikafaikafaik, $have$ $likely$ $need$ $for$ $warranty$ $services$. $I$ $called$ $HP$ $only$ $once$ $during$ $my$ $whole$ $experience$ $with$ $their$ $products$ $extending$ $back$ $through$ $the$ $IPAQ$ $3630$, $so$...
    abandoned devices they have no interest in any longer (smartphones anyways).