Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I created this thread for tips, advice and discussion for streaming Media content to our TouchPads and webOS devices. The content of this thread should consist of links to products, websites and tips to provide live and recorded media to our devices. We know Slingbox has never come through, but there has to be alternatives and advice to watch TV, movies and other content on the TP so let's consolidate REAL ADVICE in one place. Please keep this thread as such and keep opinions elsewhere. List your product, device compatibility and content here.


    I will begin with my own advice which is:
    Kalemsoft Media Player (all devices) which plays recorded files from your PC: http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/
    Splashtop remote Desktop App (Pre 2 and below; TP app pending) which allows access to Slingbox and other flashbased content such as full access to Sirius XM (previously unavailable on Pre 2 and below): http://www.splashtop.com/ You have to set up port forwarding for it to work via 3G. You can sign up for an email when they release it for the TouchPad here: http://signup.splashtop.com/3sj5j

    Credit goes to Mark for this advice via email:
    I too would like to use my Slingbox with my Palm/HP devices but got sick of waiting. I went ahead and picked up a Hauppauge Broadway which was just released here in the US. I'm happy to report that it works great with my HP Touchpad and Palm Pre 2. When streaming to your device just type in the direct URL to the Broadway's LiveTV user interface (ex...http://192.168.X.X/TVC/ui/LiveTV.html) otherwise it will tell you that your browser is too old which isn't the case. Just remember this when you get it
    Last edited by matteebee13; 09/21/2011 at 05:55 PM.
  2. Roboraver's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    I'm happy to report that it works great with my HP Touchpad and Palm Pre 2. When streaming to your device just type in the direct URL to the Broadway's LiveTV user interface (ex...http://192.168.X.X/TVC/ui/LiveTV.html) otherwise it will tell you that your browser is too old which isn't the case. Just remember this when you get it
    Hi
    I am in the UK (Europe) and also have a Broadway 2T but I have tried your suggestion and it still does not work, it either shows the message (your browser is too old) or if you enter the direct address like you mention and then select a channel to stream it shows a message (You need to update your flash or use a HTML 5 browser).

    What is the firmware version of your broadway ? (If you go into the broadway settings it should show you), mine is the 2.0.359 Beta so it should work as it supports Flash and Android browsers !!!
  3.    #3  
    The above info was emailed to me by a new user. I can PM you his email address once I clear it with him.
    Roboraver likes this.
  4. Roboraver's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #4  
    Thanks that would be great !!

    Also the Hauppauge WinTV Extend also works perfectly ! so that can be added as I have no problems streaming Live or recorded programs to it around the house (The PC processor is being canned ! time to upgrade me thinks as need one for BF3 !)
    matteebee13 likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by roboraver View Post
    Hi
    I am in the UK (Europe) and also have a Broadway 2T but I have tried your suggestion and it still does not work, it either shows the message (your browser is too old) or if you enter the direct address like you mention and then select a channel to stream it shows a message (You need to update your flash or use a HTML 5 browser).

    What is the firmware version of your broadway ? (If you go into the broadway settings it should show you), mine is the 2.0.359 Beta so it should work as it supports Flash and Android browsers !!!
    As another follow up, the trick is to login, select a channel/input and start video stream. If the
    Flash/HTML5 error appears just clear the cache at that point and refresh the page. it works
    perfectly thereafter. Full screen works as well.
  6.    #6  
    Forum member christr has posted instructions on how to use a remote desktop on the TP

    I haven't had a chance to test it yet but it doesn't look too complicated. I am also unsure of the accessibility using a different wifi network than the host PC since that is when this activity would be most useful -away from home and tethered or using a different network.
    The discussion for this remote desktop solution can be found here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3169184
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/12/2012 at 01:39 PM.
  7. #7  
    you'll have to port forward on your router to access from the public interwebs if the remote host isn't already running on a public ip address. Just like any other 'generic' rdp that doesn't have extra client side software (pocketcloud, splashtop, etc)

    --Chris
    matteebee13 likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    you'll have to port forward on your router to access from the public interwebs if the remote host isn't already running on a public ip address. Just like any other 'generic' rdp that doesn't have extra client side software (pocketcloud, splashtop, etc)

    --Chris
    Do you have any idea what port number(s) to forward or is it just a matter of what is assigned/available? I have several ports forwarded already including the two streamers referenced above (Splashtop & KalemSoft).
    Stay thirsty, my friends
  9. #9  
    RDP runs on 3389 by default.

    It can be any port on your router side tho, just setup the internal side to 3389. I've got like 3 pc's here that I jump into remotely and just setup the router side ports to 3389, 3390, 3391. But they all point internally to the windows boxes at ip.add.re.ss:3389

    --Chris
    kayphoonstar likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    RDP runs on 3389 by default.

    It can be any port on your router side tho, just setup the internal side to 3389. I've got like 3 pc's here that I jump into remotely and just setup the router side ports to 3389, 3390, 3391. But they all point internally to the windows boxes at ip.add.re.ss:3389

    --Chris
    Thanks so much for this. You made my dream come true!
  11. fule's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    #11  
    Try to look but can't find any information about setting the SSH tunnel to secure the connection for things like Splashtop.
    Is there any step by step information to set that up in the Touchpad assuming you already have the SSH server setup at the router or PC?
    Last edited by fule; 09/29/2011 at 03:24 PM.
  12.    #12  
    I'm not real savvy on that issue. I'm going the VPN route but haven't set it up yet. Still fooling around with wake on lan settings to wake my pc remotely using Splashtop. Doesn't seem possible unless host PC is hardwired to the ethernet.
    arethosereal likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Dishnetwork.com appears to work. Info here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3251204
  14.    #14  
    Since I haven't really heard much lately I haven't had anything to add to this thread in a while. Thanks ledzepman71, ncinerate and mcniela for this combination of tricks to have hulu The -NEW- HULU fix! and slingbox working: slingplayer on the Touchpad! (through facebook of all things) working in webOS. Win, except you lose access to the app catalog, so read the links carefully so you know how to get it back!
    Edit: App catalog will continue to work, but you will lose the ability of the "back" button in the app catalog.
    Last edited by matteebee13; 04/16/2012 at 10:52 PM.
  15. #15  
    I use mediatomb with BHomePro for UPnP streaming of video and audio over my local network. BHome has a free version to try before you buy. I think mediatomb was in the ubuntu repositories.

    Edit: My main media box runs ubuntu 11.10. I have windows 7 in a VirtualBox virtual machine for netflix streaming and some gaming via splashtop, on it also. Hulu works on splashtop also, I believe.
  16. pavejon's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #16  
    Splashtop runs too slowly for me. Ant video file drops alot of frames.
  17. #17  
    I'm testing a pogoplug. Have been able to watch some video over internet and for sure over wifi. Tried sending links to friends and they can stream music but not video although the premium software promises both.
    Pogoplug did all the configuration work for me so that was a plus.
  18.    #18  
    More tips & tricks in this thread posted by ncinerate here: HAH! - Hulu on my pre2
    You can now stream hulu via IMDB site flawlessly on a Pre2 & Pre3, as well as some other previously unuseable sites. Please test and post site links and suggestions here. Thanks ncinerate!
  19. #19  
    XBMC 11 Beta 3 is really slick. Home Control has an xbmc specific module that works well and the new version of xbmc making HC even more functional. BHome Pro works well with xbmc UPnP streaming, using xbmc library titles and thumbnails.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    XBMC 11 Beta 3 is really slick. Home Control has an xbmc specific module that works well and the new version of xbmc making HC even more functional. BHome Pro works well with xbmc UPnP streaming, using xbmc library titles and thumbnails.
    Thanks for the advice. Would you be able to "dumb it down" a little by providing links or instructions please? I assume this involves installing Ubuntu http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-development/295909-easy-autoconfiguration-ubuntu.html on the TP and using the instructions posted here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Installing_XBMC_for_Linux
    What is your advice after those two tasks are completed to bring media content to the TP using Bhome Pro or "Home Control" and what exactly does this provide? Do we need more equipment/hardware or subscriptions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions