1.    #1  
    I was at an AT&T store playing with a Veer today. I'm probably going to wait for the Pre 3, but overall I was happy with what I saw of WebOS. I have a couple of "just want to make sure there's a way to do this" questions.

First: Let's say someone sent you an SMS a week ago. How do you find out what *time of day* they sent it to you? What I want is sort of a "right-click" gesture, like an extended "get info about this message" function. Just playing with it in the store I couldn't seem to find it, though.

Second: Let's say you have a contact, John Smith, and his company is set to Acme Widgets. Is there a way to get it to sort under Acme, rather than sorting under Smith? I was looking for a "preferences" for the contacts app, and I couldn't find anything that looked applicable.

Thanks!!
    yes, but with just type you pull up the person directly, rather than scrolling through long contact lists.

and there are patches to provide info for text messages.
    Hi tamino, and Welcome to PreCentral!

As cantaffordit stated, you can use JustType to simply find the person. But yes, you can also set the Contacts preferences to sort by first name, last name, company & first name, or company & last name.

With the text messages, I use a patch that adds a small, clean, time/day stamp to each message. Very useful!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi tamino, and Welcome to PreCentral!
    Thanks :-) I was actually wondering if I might still have an account from the old treocentral days. Ah well.

As cantaffordit stated, you can use JustType to simply find the person. But yes, you can also set the preference to sort contacts either by name, or by company.
    Big sigh of relief. Good. I didn't *see* where you could set that, but I only got 20 minutes to play with it. Where do you go to find that setting, just for reference? Is there a "preferences" button or gesture *inside* the contacts app, or do you go in through the main system preferences and find a setting for contacts inside that?

With the text messages, I use a patch that adds a small, clean, time/day stamp to each message. Very useful!
    Fair enough. I was hoping to avoid patches, but at least Palm makes it easy (and safe, it sounds like).

Much appreciated!!
    When it comes to webOS, patches should be embraced imo. Getting a feel for the OS in its native state is fine and dandy, but you definitely should look into preware after a while, when you start noticing things you want to tweak or fix to your liking.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    When it comes to webOS, patches should be embraced imo.
    This is the conclusion I've slowly been coming to since I first posted, too. WebOS is starting to look less like a "mobile phone OS" to me, and more like "just a bunch of more-or-less readable plain text files in my home directory, that all kind of work together to help you do what you need to do".

And... you know? I'm just fine with that. :-)

\|/
    Patches, themes, apps... All are available through the Homebrew community. Preware is an app that puts them all in one place for you. Unlike all the other OS's, tweaking and personalizing your device to your individual taste is not only NOT looked down on by HP, but they actually embrace and support it! No OS can have every feature or look every user wants, but Preware gives you the ability to make it how you want it to look and feel. No having to 'jailbreak' or install custom ROMs , just open Preware, select the feature you want and click install. If you don't want it anymore, just select that item in Preware again and choose 'remove'. Honestly.... Its a MUST for everyone! Its that good!

To answer your other question.... To get to the Preferences of most any app, all you have to do is swipe down from the upper left corner of the screen to get the drop-down menu.
  8.    #8  
    To answer your other question.... To get to the Preferences of most any app, all you have to do is swipe down from the upper left corner of the screen to get the drop-down menu.
    Cool. As a matter of fact, I *couldn't* have done this with the Veer at the AT&T store, as they'd positioned their antitheft device partly overlapping the screen, and it was impossible to get to the upper left corner.

So now I know. Thanks, again!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tamino View Post
    This is the conclusion I've slowly been coming to since I first posted, too. WebOS is starting to look less like a "mobile phone OS" to me, and more like "just a bunch of more-or-less readable plain text files in my home directory, that all kind of work together to help you do what you need to do".

And... you know? I'm just fine with that. :-)

\|/
    Yeah, webOS is pretty much a handheld website. Hence, the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by tamino View Post
    First: Let's say someone sent you an SMS a week ago. How do you find out what *time of day* they sent it to you? What I want is sort of a "right-click" gesture, like an extended "get info about this message" function. Just playing with it in the store I couldn't seem to find it, though.
    You can enable this via a patch called 'Timestamps Clean'. I've been using that patch ever since I got 2.x on my Pre and it does the job. However, this patch shows the timestamp for every sms message, the date and time isn't hidden behind a gesture. I was worried at first that this would be intrusive, but its in small grey text and is quite easy to ignore.