Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By mrjspeed
  • 1 Post By echofilter
  1.    #1  
    Since there are so many members asking how to get screen images to show up for their video files, I decided to put together this simple, quick, little tutorial. It’s a very easy procedure, and makes your videos display really well on the TouchPad.

**Note: These steps are for MP4 files only (will not work for .mvk)
    STEPS:
    1. Download and install the Mp3Tag program on your computer for free.
    2. Choose a movie and use Google Image search to find look up a picture you would like as the file image.
    3. Save the image to your computer in a location you will remember
    4. Open up the Mp3Tag program on your computer.
    5. Now simply follow the directions below…..

**Be sure to click the SAVE icon after adding an image!

***Now just drag the file onto your TouchPad and it will show up correctly.

Hint: as I've posted before... until the update comes I always create a main folder on my TouchPad called "Movies". Inside of that folder, I create another folder for each movie and name the folder the name of the movie. Drop the movie file into the correct folder (ie: 'Iron Man' movie into the folder named "Iron Man"). This way each movie will show up with a name on the left pane of the application.

Go forth and enjoy!
    Now THIS is how your videos should look on the TouchPad

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/17/2011 at 01:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Great writeup. I have been doing much the same thing since I discovered that there were no titles in the Video Player. I use Movienizer 4.3 - The Best Movie Organizer. Organize movies easily with the movie database tool to catalog my DVD collection. I found that Movienizer stores the images in a Covers folder with alphabetical (0-9, A, B, C ...) subfolders so I already have the cover art, just need to add it.

I just put my movies in a common folder and depend on the cover art to let me know what the movie is.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
  3.    #3  
    I'll have to check out that program too - thanks!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Any ideas/work arounds for those of us whose movies won't even show up in the stock movie player app? I have to use Gemini now to play all my movies.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    Any ideas/work arounds for those of us whose movies won't even show up in the stock movie player app? I have to use Gemini now to play all my movies.
    Have you tried to pull the usb cable without ejecting your TouchPad? That has always worked for me.

Your directions are very good except you left off one VERY important step!!!

What about SAVING the file with the new cover attached????
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    just click the save icon (floppy disk icon).

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by completethought View Post
    Your directions are very good except you left off one VERY important step!!!

What about SAVING the file with the new cover attached????
    Whoops I'll add that one - thanks for pointing the missing step out!
    So I'm guessing there's no Mac solution?
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    So I'm guessing there's no Mac solution?
    Kerstetter.net - MetaX

There is also a Windows version for this application. This program is nice because you don't have to do a google search for the screenshot or coverart. It will scrape various databases for coverart or you can browse the video file for the screenshot you are looking for.

Last edited by Mallet21; 08/26/2011 at 09:55 AM.
    For those that have home movies, I use VLC to take a snapshot of any frame of the movie, then follow HelloNNNewman's tutorial to make it the meta thumbnail.
    lar3ry likes this.
    I have tried using this method but for some reason I cannot add a cover to .mkv files. Only if I convert the file to .mp4 am I able to do this. Am I missing something?
    fluffy_do likes this.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Yes and no, this method is only for .mp4 files.

So is there a way to create thumbnails for .mkv files so I don't have to convert everything to .mp4? I even added .mkv to the tag tools so the program would see the files. But when I right click to add a cover, it is greyed out and I can't click on it. I have searched the forums and can't find a way to do this without converting all of my files, which I'm really hoping I won't have to do. Thanks.
    Last edited by echofilter; 09/17/2011 at 12:54 PM.
    \m/(>.<)\m/
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    None that I am aware of. Before webOS 3.02 the native player did not display .mp4 file names and it became necessary to embed the cover art with applications like mp3Tag.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I've been using media monkey 4 (beta) to sync video to my Touchpad, and I only needed to check the tagging option 'Copy Artwork to file Tags' and this worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, I just reinstalled windows 7 and now it doesn't ?!?!

Still trying to work out why, but this is (or was) a good option for me without any additional overhead.
    If anyone's looking for a command line script-able method you can do this with ffmpeg, imagemagick and AtomicParsley.

Extract one image from your video

$ ffmpeg -ss 30 -i fruityoaty_phone.mp4 -f image2 -vframes 1 fruityoaty_phone.jpg

30 is the number of seconds in to the video to take an image from. You may want to experiment with that.

The file that is output is as far as I can tell a perfectly good jpeg, however AtomicParsley rejects it as not being jpg or png. So I used the mogrify tool from imagemagick to 'fix' that.

$ mogrify fruityoaty_phone.jpg
    $ AtomicParsley fruityoaty_phone.mp4 --artwork fruityoaty_phone.jpg --overWrite

I've only tried this on Mac OS X so but I'm assuming the same process can be used on Linux. If you're using Mac OS X, The MacPorts Project is the easiest way to get these tools installed.
    Global Posts
    2,112 Global Posts
    Newman, you are awesome!

You guys keep making the TP better and better!