webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Tips, Info & Resources > The "How do I...?" thread.
The "How do I...?" thread.
Like Tree38Likes

Old 07/22/2011, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

I haven't seen a dedicated thread like this, so I figured I'd start one. We're getting new webOS users here and I am sure this would be beneficial to them as they don't have the years of experience some of us veterans do.

I will monitor this thread and I will add your replies to this initial post. I'd like to focus on the stock apps and controls of webOS, as these are what new users will have most interaction with. If we did this for any and all apps found in the App Catalog, this thread would explode in no time and be very unwieldy for the newbie webOSer. With that, let's begin with stock webOS 3.0.

How do I...

--create a bookmark? Go to the top right of your browser. Tap the square box with the arrow pointing to the right. Then choose Add Bookmark.

--create a bookmark in my Launcher? Go to the top right of your browser. Tap the square box with the arrow pointing to the right. Tap Add to Launcher. The bookmark is now in FAVORITES of the Launcher.

--reorder my bookmarks? Sorry, at this time there is no way to accomplish this.

--reorder the list of my email accounts? Sorry, at this time there is no way to accomplish this.

--view active downloads? In the top right of your browser there is a Clock/Bookmark icon. Tap it. From there tap the down arrow icon and it will display your active and completed downloads in this current browser's session.

--see the version of webOS I have? Tap Device Info then look for VERSION. It should say something like 'HP webOS 3.0.0'. To see the build number, just tap anywhere on the VERSION line.

--dismiss notifications? Swipe downwards on the notifications area. Then swipe right on the notification you want to get rid of.

--restart or shutdown my TouchPad? Tap Device Info then tap Reset Options and tap Restart or Shut Down. Another way to shutdown is to hold down the power button for about 5 seconds, then choose Shut Down.

--move cards around or stack them? Place your cards in background mode by either pressing the center button or swiping up from the bottom black bezel onto the screen. Now tap and hold the card. Once the card turns gray you can drag it around your screen. You can place it to the left or right of other cards or even on top of or behind other cards.

--stop certain calendar feeds from displaying on my Calendar? At the top of the Calendar app you'll see multiple calendar feeds listed with different colored boxed above the named calendars. Tap the colored box and it should turn gray with a dash in it. That particular calendar feed is no longer displayed.

--read the Pivot magazine in the App Catalog? (Yes, I had trouble with this!) Just swipe right-to-left to start reading. Then swipe across the screen in the manner you'd flip pages in a real magazine.

--spell webOS? It's webOS, not WebOS or Web OS.

--spell TouchPad? It's TouchPad, not Touchpad or Touch Pad.

--open a link in a new card? Tap and hold the link you wish to open in a new card. Then choose Open in New Card.

--get rid of or add icons to my Launcher Bar? If you already have five app icons on your Luancher Bar, you'll have to get rid of one before you can add another. Tap and hold the icon you wish to get rid of, once it turns gray just flick it away. Now, open the Launcher then tap and hold the icon you want. Once it turns gray you can drag it into position on the Launcher Bar.

--rearrange my downloaded app icons? See directly above for in-depth details. Just tap and hold then drag into position.

--adjust the screen brightness? Swipe down from the top-right of the screen where the time is displayed. Then adjust the brightness slider as you see fit.

--stop my screen from rotating? Swipe down from the top-right of the screen where the time is displayed. Tap Turn on Rotation Lock.

--reset a locked up TouchPad? Press and hold the center button and power button at the same time for up to 10 seconds. The TouchPad should reboot.

--change the signature on my outgoing emails? From the Email app swipe down on "Email" in the top left of your screen. Tap Preferences then tap the account you wish to modify the signature of. Then tap inside the SIGNATURE box and type away.

--change my wallpaper? Tap Screen & Lock then Change Wallpaper.

--take a screenshot? Press and hold the center button and then press the power button. It will make a camera's shutter sound and a yellow light will flash on the screen.

--get root or enter Developer Mode? Tap Just Type at the top of your screen. Type in webos20090606. Tap the Dev Mode Enabler icon, then toggle to ON. You are now in Developer Mode and can enter the fertile fields of homebrew software and patching.

--factory reset or default the TouchPad? Tap Device Info then tap Reset Options (in red). Tap Secure Full Erase. You will lose all files stored on the TP! Including your photos, videos, documents, etc. The TP will be wiped clean.

--copy a web address / URL? Tap the URL a couple of times to highlight it in yellow. Now, tap once more and you should be able to select Cut, Copy, or Paste.

--dismiss the keyboard? Tap anywhere on the screen that is not a text entry field. But don't tap the keyboard itself. Or, just tap the keyboard dismissal button at the very bottom-right of the screen.

--change the size of the keyboard? With the keyboard open tap and hold the keyboard dismissal button at the very bottom-right of the screen. You'll be able to select XS, S, M, or L.

--delete a whole word while typing? On the keyboard tap and hold SHIFT then tap BACKSPACE while still holding SHIFT.

--get additional characters on the keyboard? Tap and hold almost any key (e.g. a, z, 1) to get other options as follows:
a: , , , , , , , . Thanks to PrinceAlbert and lagoldste.

--find additional TouchPad FAQs? Here's a good one: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...hpad-faqs.html

--add a non-OpenSearch search engine to Just Type? (Such as Bing or Yahoo.) http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...y-website.html (I added Bing to my Just Type and made it the default engine. Works perfectly.)

--check for app updates? Tap Software Manager. If there are updates available it will let you know.

--check for webOS updates? Tap System Updates. If there are updates available it will let you know.

--delete downloaded files? Unfortunately the TouchPad does not include any file management apps. You can go to the App Catalog and download GoAruna Files (free) or Gemini File Manager ($2.99), which will give you file management through the TouchPad. There are free file management apps through Preware (homebrew), as well. Otherwise, you'll need to connect to the TP via USB and manually delete files through your computer.

--find webOS Doctor for my TouchPad? My TP is totally hosed and I need to reload the OS. webOS Internals keeps a detailed listing of webOS Doctors available for your TouchPad: Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

--change the print settings on a HP TouchPad, ie print duplex? It appears that duplex printing is only an option on the TouchPad if the TP detects that your HP printer absolutely supports it. If your printer does not support duplex printing then the option for it will not appear in the print dialog on the TP.

--get the free 50 GB of online storage at Box? Just download the Box.net app from the App Catalog and launch it. Create your free account and that's it.

--enable Flash app interactive controls in the browser? Double-tap the Flash window. App specific Flash controls will be enabled until you zoom out.

--delete photo or video albums? I have not done this myself, but this is a big problem for a lot of people. Please see these two threads for ways to remove albums: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...photo-app.html and http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...hotos-app.html

--configure my AKO (Army Knowledge Online) email? Thanks to k4ever, we have this guide: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

--undo an action? (for example after having deleted a selected text) At this time there is no undo available in webOS 3.0.0. Hopefully HP will implement this in a later revision of webOS.

--move an application icon from one tab to another? Tap and hold the icon and drag it up and drop it on the destination tab. This is quicker than dragging to the sides. (Thanks noseph!)

--purchase apps from an unsupported country? Use a prepaid US Visa Gift Card. See here for more info: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...d-country.html

--change the style/formatting of my email signature. The edit menu doesn't have options for this like it does on the Pre in this example: Tip: Add formatting to your email text ? I'm not aware of any way to do that on the TouchPad, unfortunately.

--link my TouchPad to my Windows Workgroup on my home network? As of right now there is no way to do this. Perhaps it may come in the future, but I wouldn't count on it.

TouchPad owners: The TouchPad "How do I...?" thread.
Devices: HTC HD7, Wife's Lumia 710, and two TouchPads
Twitter: @STLwebOSMeetup

Last edited by speedtouch; 08/07/2011 at 11:39 AM.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gjlowe, cjhlioness, bevcraw and 17 others like this.
Old 07/22/2011, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

and make it a sticky one
oswego is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by VizagDude likes this.
Old 07/22/2011, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

How do I remove the "from my TouchPad" after my comment when using the Facebook app?

Thanks in advance
noodlex5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2011, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlex5 View Post
How do I remove the "from my TouchPad" after my comment when using the Facebook app?

Thanks in advance
I don't know because I don't use Facebook. But I am sure someone will know how. I'll be watching for it.

Old 07/22/2011, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

How do I download attachments from an e-mail to the TouchPad? I tried downloading a video, .mp4, and I dont get an option to download.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
Twitter: @LordSecksie
TextOne: LordSecksie
LordSecksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Kathykatia
Old 07/23/2011, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

super thread

I dont have a touchpad, but thanks

and I would click thanks, but I'm mobile rite now =)
fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by whitty likes this.
Thanked By: speedtouch
Old 07/23/2011, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oops, you're right, HelloNNNewman. I should have created it here in the Tips forum. Sorry about that and thanks for moving this thread.

Old 07/23/2011, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

no prob... Good thread

I did make one change for you... To force a restart on a locked device, you don't have to hold the volume button.. Just the power and center buttons.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2011, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
no prob... Good thread

I did make one change for you... To force a restart on a locked device, you don't have to hold the volume button.. Just the power and center buttons.
Roger dodger, thanks!

Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 07/23/2011, 03:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Any idea how to change the print settings on a HP TouchPad, ie print duplex?
JaakLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2011, 04:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

You can change the size of the keyboard???? Lol.... Knowing is half the battle
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by LauraInHouston likes this.
Old 07/23/2011, 11:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaakLeen View Post
Any idea how to change the print settings on a HP TouchPad, ie print duplex?
Not sure, but I am going to PM a couple of people who have indicated they've used the TP with their HP printer. You do have an HP printer, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
You can change the size of the keyboard???? Lol.... Knowing is half the battle
Heh! There you go.

Old 07/23/2011, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

If you want to do a COMPLETE factory reset, you need to turn off the backup service before you do the above FULL Erase. Otherwise, it will go out to your backup associated with your webOS account and re-install all the applications that were present during your last backup.
toy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2011, 12:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
If you want to do a COMPLETE factory reset, you need to turn off the backup service before you do the above FULL Erase. Otherwise, it will go out to your backup associated with your webOS account and re-install all the applications that were present during your last backup.
Right, but for the TP to go to the backup associated with your account you must first log into the webOS Account on your TouchPad after initial startup. If you do a Full Secure Erase, the TouchPad is left in what I call the "first-boot" state where it knows nothing and has nothing installed until someone signs into their webOS Account (previously Palm Profile). So you don't need to turn off Backup to accomplish a full, complete factory reset if you're selling or returning the TP.

Old 07/23/2011, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

There was a question regarding duplex printing on webos 3.0. Well, here's a short answer. It's supported provided the printer you're using supports it. Otherwise you won't see the option. My printer doesn't support duplex printing, so therefore it's not available, even greyed out.

Here's a screenshot of wireless printing dialog from the email app for my printer:

Also, please note that there is no printer settings -> edit printer options dialog. Whenever you print, it seeks out a wireless printer in range and goes from there. We're not using a desktop OS, so the design is different from what you're used to.

Here is the printer config app

and then here's the add/remove dialog. As you can see it autodetects the printer and saves it. tapping the autodiscovered one doesn't do anything.

Regards

Last edited by Calcmandan; 07/25/2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: corrected myself
Calcmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gianf150
Old 07/23/2011, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Right, but for the TP to go to the backup associated with your account you must first log into the webOS Account on your TouchPad after initial startup. If you do a Full Secure Erase, the TouchPad is left in what I call the "first-boot" state where it knows nothing and has nothing installed until someone signs into their webOS Account (previously Palm Profile). So you don't need to turn off Backup to accomplish a full, complete factory reset if you're selling or returning the TP.
I agree. My point was only that if you reset your TP and then expect to login to you webOS account and have it back to that state when you first signed up, you have to remove the backup first.
toy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2011, 06:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
I agree. My point was only that if you reset your TP and then expect to login to you webOS account and have it back to that state when you first signed up, you have to remove the backup first.
You are absolutely correct. Sorry, I wasn't looking at it from the angle you were describing.

Liked by toy4x4 likes this.
Old 07/23/2011, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

How do you delete downloads when you are finished with them?

So far I am lovin' my TP. Thanx for this new thread!
pmalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2011, 07:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalena View Post
How do you delete downloads when you are finished with them?

So far I am lovin' my TP. Thanx for this new thread!
Unfortunately the TouchPad does not include any file management apps. You can go to the App Catalog and download GoAruna Files (free) or Gemini File Manager ($2.99), which will give you file management through the TouchPad. There are free file management apps through Preware (homebrew), as well. Otherwise, you'll need to connect to the TP via USB and manually delete files through your computer.

I updated the initial post with the answer. And, you're welcome! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your TP so well. Me too.

Old 07/23/2011, 08:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

I emailed some ringtones(for emails) to myself and I can open and listen to them on the TouchPad. I used Internalz Pro to go looking for them, nowhere to be found. I checked the media/internals directory, not there. Downloads directory, not there. I'm just trying to find an easy way to transfer without cables, and that seemed easy, but isn't working for me.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0