Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 217
Like Tree39Likes
  1. DreamScar's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #81  
    hello

    I was hoping some of you guys could help a WebOS newbie with a few things

    1. Is there a way to make the main notification bar remain visible while using applications?

    2. Is there a way to change which apps are used by default for actions? For instance, can I make Advanced Browser my default web app instead of the preloaded version? Also, can I remove preloaded apps from the device?

    3. Is there any setting for the keyboard or a keyboard alternative that will show a bar of predicted words while typing like the android keyboard uses?

    4. Is there any kind of widget support in WebOS?

    Thank you
  2. #82  
    hey guys, just got the hp touchpad as well

    was planning on taking it to uni, although i have read i am unable to edit word documents which basically means that it is useless as of now

    is there any way to:
    1. create a new word document to write notes in
    2. edit word/excel/powerpoint/pdf files (lecture notes)

    are there any available apps that will allow me to do this, or will homebrewing it allow me to use these functions?


    lastly, is there any app which will allow me to take photos with the front facing camera? seems like a waste if it can only be used for skype calls :/



    Thanks guys !
    Last edited by edwarrior317; 08/22/2011 at 04:01 AM.
  3. noseph's Avatar
    Posts
    727 Posts
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamScar View Post
    hello

    I was hoping some of you guys could help a WebOS newbie with a few things

    1. Is there a way to make the main notification bar remain visible while using applications?

    2. Is there a way to change which apps are used by default for actions? For instance, can I make Advanced Browser my default web app instead of the preloaded version? Also, can I remove preloaded apps from the device?

    3. Is there any setting for the keyboard or a keyboard alternative that will show a bar of predicted words while typing like the android keyboard uses?

    4. Is there any kind of widget support in WebOS?

    Thank you
    1. don't think so

    2a. There is a patch in Preware Make Advanced Browser Default

    2b. don't think so

    3. not that I am aware of

    4. Glimpse (paid app in catalog) is the closest I can think of
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

    Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

    Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

    Twitter: @noseph47
  4. DreamScar's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #84  
    couldn't find the patch you are talking about. Is it in preware or do I need to sideload it from the quick installer?
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by edwarrior317 View Post
    hey guys, just got the hp touchpad as well

    was planning on taking it to uni, although i have read i am unable to edit word documents which basically means that it is useless as of now

    is there any way to:
    1. create a new word document to write notes in
    2. edit word/excel/powerpoint/pdf files (lecture notes)

    are there any available apps that will allow me to do this, or will homebrewing it allow me to use these functions?


    lastly, is there any app which will allow me to take photos with the front facing camera? seems like a waste if it can only be used for skype calls :/



    Thanks guys !
    Honestly your best bet for document/powerpoint/etc editing is going to be google docs for the time being. It's not perfect, but it works. Go to google/gmail and hit documents, everything seems to work fairly well.

    There's some talk that we'll get proper document editing etc but it hasn't happened just yet.

    As for the camera, there are a few apps that let it work as a camera. Honestly it should have probably worked from the factory but it is what it is. 99 cents gets you a basic camera app from the app store, or you could wait for the undoubtedly soon-to-be-available free homebrew app that does the same.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Honestly your best bet for document/powerpoint/etc editing is going to be google docs for the time being. It's not perfect, but it works. Go to google/gmail and hit documents, everything seems to work fairly well.

    There's some talk that we'll get proper document editing etc but it hasn't happened just yet.

    As for the camera, there are a few apps that let it work as a camera. Honestly it should have probably worked from the factory but it is what it is. 99 cents gets you a basic camera app from the app store, or you could wait for the undoubtedly soon-to-be-available free homebrew app that does the same.
    There is already a free camera app in the App Catalog, called Digi Camera Lite. There is also a paid version for $1.99 I believe with more features.
    I am, therefore I think
  7. noseph's Avatar
    Posts
    727 Posts
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamScar View Post
    couldn't find the patch you are talking about. Is it in preware or do I need to sideload it from the quick installer?
    I forgot that patch is not in Preware yet. It can be found in this thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3069674.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

    Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

    Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

    Twitter: @noseph47
  8. DreamScar's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #88  
    how do I load the patch into preware?

    edit - nevermind. Installed Internalz from Preware and installed the patch that way. Thanks for the help!

    edit 2 - damn, patch didn't work. Just opened a link via spaz and default browser opened.
    Last edited by DreamScar; 08/22/2011 at 04:30 PM.
  9. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamScar View Post
    Is there a way to change which apps are used by default for actions
    In the Device Info app, if you bring down the menu in the top-left corner there's a link to "Default Applications". Theoretically you should be able to change things there, but all the options seem to be grayed out, at least on my TouchPad. I remember having some actual options in that screen on my Pre Plus, though.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
  10. #90  
    ^ Yes, that's how we should be able to do it, but right now that function is locked down. I heard it was due to certain API's not having been released to developers (or was it that the same controls for items like the default browser were used for outside browsers like the "Advanced Browser" so it couldn't be set as default. I think there are still a couple of things HP is addressing (or hopefully still is/will address) for this feature.
  11. DreamScar's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #91  
    I have three more questions.

    1. Is there a way to enable the date to be shown along with the time I the top right of the main bar?

    2. Is there any way to disable overscrolling in apps like the browser? I really hate when the webpages swing around rather than just sticking to their edges.

    3. Is there a way to change the copy/paste behavior? The touchpad's screen is so slick that sometimes when I try to long press on a link in Advanced Browser my finger will move slightly which activates copy/paste which is extremely annoying.

    thanks
    whitty likes this.
  12. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamScar View Post
    I have three more questions.

    1. Is there a way to enable the date to be shown along with the time I the top right of the main bar?

    2. Is there any way to disable overscrolling in apps like the browser? I really hate when the webpages swing around rather than just sticking to their edges.

    3. Is there a way to change the copy/paste behavior? The touchpad's screen is so slick that sometimes when I try to long press on a link in Advanced Browser my finger will move slightly which activates copy/paste which is extremely annoying.

    thanks
    All those things sound like good candidates for patches. You might consider starting a thread for them offering a bounty to any developer who can write the necessary patches. Perhaps others also want that functionality and would be willing to offer up some money with you. Or maybe you'll get lucky and someone will make them for free!

    I would be willing to contribute something for a patch for your #2.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
  13. DreamScar's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #93  
    not so much a "how do i", but I am wondering how WebOS handles market app updates. Is there some sort of status bar notification when an app gets updated on the app store?
  14. noseph's Avatar
    Posts
    727 Posts
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    #94  
    The Software Manager puts up a notification when updates are available in the App Catalog. You can also just launch Software Manager and if any updates are available it will let you know.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

    Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

    Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

    Twitter: @noseph47
  15. DreamScar's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #95  
    thanks!
  16. gamoses's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #96  
    "how do i transfer/watch a video file?" was a problem i ran into today. would have loved to have seen it in here
  17. #97  
    Does the native browser on the TouchPad support text reflow? Like if I zoom in on a passage, will the browser reformat the text so that it doesnt require me to scroll from side to side to read a whole line that does not fit on the screen?

    I tried browsing around and notice that this feature was missing, was wondering if there's some way to enable it through a setting that i'm overlooking or a patch?
  18. #98  
    So far i love my TP but my biggest qualm is,

    How the hell do I save an Image from a website?

    Thanks again. Loving webOS alot more than i thought i would.

    <-iphone guy
  19. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by SheepGotoHeaven View Post
    So far i love my TP but my biggest qualm is,

    How the hell do I save an Image from a website?

    Thanks again. Loving webOS alot more than i thought i would.
    Tap and hold on the image in the browser and a dialog will come up with several options.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
  20. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by mintcookies View Post
    Does the native browser on the TouchPad support text reflow? Like if I zoom in on a passage, will the browser reformat the text so that it doesnt require me to scroll from side to side to read a whole line that does not fit on the screen?

    I tried browsing around and notice that this feature was missing, was wondering if there's some way to enable it through a setting that i'm overlooking or a patch?
    No, the browser does not have that functionality, and there is no currently a patch to enable it.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions