1.    #1  
    Is it even possible to run iOS or ANDROID apps in webOS? I've just heard that meeGO OS will run ANDROID apps... I know nothing about programming at all (so please don't tell me that it's because of the kernel or things like that) but if it's possible wouldn't it be great? I mean we all know how great webOS is, and how it lacks of apps right? why don't use the thousand apps available in those stores... i don't know maybe if it's just impossible, it could through an emulator as the PalmOS apps don't you think?
    Is that not what the playbook is doing? using an emulator to run android apps so they can boost their app catalog? Always wondered why WebOS didn't do this
  3.    #3  
    Yeah me too... if u cannot beat the enemy, just join him... or in this case, steal his apps XD
    the hp catalog is better any way since it has better quality and less crappy apps, don't you know
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by damien88 View Post
    Is that not what the playbook is doing? using an emulator to run android apps so they can boost their app catalog? Always wondered why WebOS didn't do this
    Playbook can't run stock android apps from the android market. They have to be repackaged using Playbooks SDK and then pushed to the Playbook app store to work. Still takes effort from the developers to port the apps. Sounds good on paper, doesn't work in reality.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naokrei View Post
    Is it even possible to run iOS or ANDROID apps in webOS? I've just heard that meeGO OS will run ANDROID apps... I know nothing about programming at all (so please don't tell me that it's because of the kernel or things like that) but if it's possible wouldn't it be great? I mean we all know how great webOS is, and how it lacks of apps right? why don't use the thousand apps available in those stores... i don't know maybe if it's just impossible, it could through an emulator as the PalmOS apps don't you think?
    Meego is a dead platform. Elop doesn't want it and short of the board firing him nothing's going to keep it from its untimely demise. The only thing that will extend its lifetime is leveraging a competitors library of apps. That's a good strategy for extending a dead platform but a bad strategy for growing a new platform.

meego will be using Myriad's Alien Davlik engine to run Android apps. What that means for meego is that it may attract more users, but at the expense of

1) higher licensing costs
    2) higher support costs
    3) lower exclusivity
    4) fewer ported/native apps
    5) reduced revenue from app store (no profit sharing for Nokia from Android Market)

HP won't likely take this strategy because it's relatively easy to port an existing iOS or Android app to webOS (hours/days). They also want to encourage porting since a native app will always run faster than one run through an emulator. Additionally HP wants to keep it's licensing and support costs to a minimum (they already paid 1.2 billion for Palm) and pull in as much revenue through their own app store as possible. Using Android Market doesn't put revenue in HPs pocket. It only makes Android more attractive.
    Last edited by nhavar; 06/25/2011 at 11:10 PM.
    I think you meant 1.2 Billion.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I think you meant 1.2 Billion.
    Crap! I've done that 3 times now. Don't know why that stupid 1.8 it stuck in my head. Thanks for catching it. Corrected.
  9.    #9  
    Totally agree and understood
    No point of discussion in that argument