webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Tips, Info & Resources > Stuck in headset mode: permanent, easy fix
Stuck in headset mode: permanent, easy fix
Like Tree6Likes

Old 04/29/2011, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

It really needs to be said that graphite powder permanently fixes the problem with getting stuck in headset mode.

Go to a hardware store, pick up a tube of graphite powder for around $3.

1) Gently squeeze a couple puffs of graphite powder into headset jack.

2) Turn phone upside down to let excess fall out.

3) Grab a pair of headphones and insert/remove them several times.

4) Enjoy your new, permanently fixed phone.

It helps to be connected to a call while doing this (I simply connected to my voicemail) so you can watch the headset icon in the lower left corner while inserting/removing the headset. When the icon switches back to the regular 'phone' icon, you're done.

After you do this, you can use headphones/headsets as much as you'd like and it shouldn't get stuck in headset mode ever again. I did this months ago and have been rampantly using headphones since then and have had no problems. And before that, the only thing that could release it from headset mode was the ghastly headset app (Q-tip with alcohol and compressed air stopped working).

P.S. All the graphite powder does is safely lube the inside of the headset jack. There is a bit inside that gets stuck, making the phone think there is a headset plugged in when there isn't. You can find graphite powder in the section of the store where they make keys, as it is commonly used to lube jammed locks.

[EDIT]: The user, jccjmml7 states in the comments below that you may try silicon lubricant as well, though I have never tested this method and can give no feedback on it's effectiveness/safety.

Last edited by blue duck butter; 04/30/2011 at 06:23 PM.
blue duck butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Mr._Happy and uhordvik like this.
Old 04/29/2011, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi BDB,
Thank you; I'll give that a try the next time my Pre- gets stuck in headset mode.
BobKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2011, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

No problem. It's a wonder the mods don't make this forum a sticky since so many people have this problem and all the solutions except this one are only temporary.
Old 04/30/2011, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's a jimboree
Old 04/30/2011, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you. I will grab some next time I'm at the store. Do you think walmart would carry this?
Mediademics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2011, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

They might. I can't seem to find it on their website. Maybe try calling your local store. Mention that it's used for jammed locks.
Old 04/30/2011, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll check in the section where the locks are for it. I'm sure they do. Thanks again.
Mediademics is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: blue duck butter
Old 04/30/2011, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

For graphite powder, I just scraped pencil lead against a nail-file.
My headset jack works perfectly now.

DIY video ~ YouTube - how to on homade graphite powder
mojito is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus and uhordvik like this.
Old 04/30/2011, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would think a silicone lubricant (for electrical applications) would be better. Graphite is conductive.
jccjmml7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2011, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
I would think a silicone lubricant (for electrical applications) would be better. Graphite is conductive.
Hmm, interesting thought. I've had no problems with the graphite yet though and have heard no problems from others. Plus, with the silicone lubricant costing around 10-16 times as much as the graphite, I gotta go with graphite for now.
Old 04/30/2011, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

I posted a fix about a week ago and found that (IMO) the cause of the headset issue is the little contacts in the headphone jack are outta wack. The contacts that touch the board are barely touching. When I took mine apart and popped the headphone jack out the two bottom contact were slightly lower than the top two. I just rasied all four to and even above 'normal' height. Popped it back in and no issues since. My phones music app use to pause when opening/closing the slider...gone. Calls going into headset mode...gone.
Wayne173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Dan Pass
Old 05/01/2011, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
I posted a fix about a week ago and found that (IMO) the cause of the headset issue is the little contacts in the headphone jack are outta wack. The contacts that touch the board are barely touching. When I took mine apart and popped the headphone jack out the two bottom contact were slightly lower than the top two. I just rasied all four to and even above 'normal' height. Popped it back in and no issues since. My phones music app use to pause when opening/closing the slider...gone. Calls going into headset mode...gone.
Indeed a more difficult, dangerous and time consuming way to go about fixing the problem, but a fix nonetheless! Thank you for the input!
Old 05/01/2011, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just used the technique from that Youtube link and it seems to have finally fixed my issue.
At first when I put the shavings from a pencil (graphite only of course) in there it wouldn't go into headset mode at all, I then blew it out with compressed air and just put a little alcohol on the jack, twisted around and it works perfect! (free fixes are good fixes )
The "ghastly app" only solved my problem for one phone call then would always switch back to headset mode.
Thank you for this information! Wish I knew this trick long ago..
Freshyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: blue duck butter
Old 05/01/2011, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
I'm with you. However graphite per Wiki is only conductive in non-powdered form - however this is marked as dubious and I personally do not think they are right. There are numerous examples of graphite being added to glues and cements to make conductive paints and conductive glues so I think this is a valid concern.
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2011, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

I should add that I had 'the ghastly headset' app loaded while I added the graphite dust just to monitor things and when I put it in there, media mode and speaker mode kept switching back and forth on it's own. It stopped when I cleaned it out. Strange..
Freshyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: omr6535
Old 05/02/2011, 11:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you. Worked like a charm.
toddler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2011, 03:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Totally sweet. Spread the word.
Old 05/04/2011, 05:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

will try next time....i haven't had this problem in months..but it reared it ugly head about a week ago...been ok the last 24 hours....i think I have some graphite power in my toolbox
kataran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 06:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Amazing!! Worked like a charm!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
link375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 10:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

I used pencil lead shavings for this.

Seems to have marginally cured my popping issue. At least right now it's not popping and losing one side of audio just by bumping it.

One thing though: shut down your phone before you do it. I caused mine to completely poweroff on its own from the repeated insert-removal. Probably crashed the OS with all the events.

Thanks!

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here

Last edited by ToniCipriani; 05/15/2011 at 11:36 PM.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headset mode, no sound, stuck headset mode

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0