1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have read the posts I could find here on recovering data, but I still have a question.

My folks have a Palm Pre Plus which is dead, dead. It won't turn on. Of course, they don't back up and it has all of their photos. My question is, how is data stored on the Pre? There has to be some kind of flash or internal memory that stores local data. Even if the device doesn't work, I would think you could pull the memory and put it in a device that does work, no?

Any ideas/advice? The 'rents are frantic and calling. Often.

Thanks in advance!
    Audrey
    If you have good knowledge about computer circuits, have good eyes, are able to solder tiny smb circuits and have (to) much time it should be possible.
    If my life would depend on it I probably would try it (but with not much hope).

What happens when you connect it to a charger? Maybe it's only the screen and you can get it in recovery mode (VolumenUp and power on)?
  3.    #3  
    Connecting to the computer or the wall charger does nothing. This thing is dead. If I had to guess, I would say it was dropped in water, but my folks (in their 70's) are not confessing to anything.

If I had it in front of me, I would poke around but they are in Florida and I am not up to talking them through looking at the circuits. I couldn't find a schematic or anything in the technical specs. I guess I was hoping there was some kind of flash memory I could pull from this thing, but I don't think it would be worth it.

Thanks for trying!
    Have them mail it to you. Or one of us. some ppl don't understand all, and it may just be a simple fix. I can't tell you how many things I've 'fixed' just by hitting the right button, or plugging in the right cable. 'course, I also have fixed many things using more advanced skills. Like replacing a capacitor, resistor or IC, or installing a new screen, etc.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the offer. They are coming home next week and I will look at it then.

The funny thing is that my mom, who grew up with B&W tv and didn't get a cell phone with texting until 6 months ago, is having withdrawls symptoms like a 14 yo girl. I should record her, she is hysterical.
    Did you find anything out? My pre was dropped in water (or sat in my pocket when I jumped in the pool ) and the touchscreen is pretty much dead. The phone will turn on when I have it plugged in to a USB cable and I can unlock it with the keypad, but then I'm stuck. It's not in developer mode or I could pull the files with Novaterm and the Opt+Sym+U combination isn't putting it in USB mode to allow me to pull files that way either. I just want my latest save/restore files, a video, a song, some pictures ... it's so close to connected but yet so far.
    Nick
    my phone dip in the water can data get recoverd its dead now
  8. iDG
    You can try to boot into the recovery ramdisk which does not require any user interaction on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by fazee55 View Post
    my phone dip in the water can data get recoverd its dead now
    Have you removed the battery immediately? Is it fully dry now?

If not, trying to use it now, will kill it 100%.