Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    [6/16]*techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage! - xda-developers
    Just was reading this on XDA and wondering why nobody has done this on the pre yet. Would be great to have 3g w/o sprints coverage.
    What are you talking about, we ALREADY get 3G roaming... that's called Ev.

Make sure you have data roaming enabled (Sprint disables by default). To enable, go into the phone app, open phone preferences (app menu) and go down to just below the menu area where it says "Sprint" for carrier name. It will have an option for data roaming. Enable that and you're going to be fine.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    We only get 3g (or EV) roaming on certain partners. This hack allows for 3g roaming on the VZW network which is by far the largest source of roaming for sprint phones and normally does not allow for 3g roaming
    Last edited by danstah; 02/12/2011 at 08:15 AM.
    Yup it works on the pre (sprint)

I've on an evo now (for 7mos or so), but before i was on the pre, been using this hack.. you need qpst to upload the prl.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Yup it works on the pre (sprint)

I've on an evo now (for 7mos or so), but before i was on the pre, been using this hack.. you need qpst to upload the prl.
    I am a bit hesistant to do it without having something to go back to... I opened up QPST and found the roam tab which seems to be where i could load this file. If i use the save to file button will this save my old config so i can revert if need be? Are there any other ways to get back to the sprint prl?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [6/16]*techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage!
    Found this as a backup plan

Tried this hack and it worked quite well. Its to bad we cannot do it from the phone like on the EVO
    Last edited by danstah; 02/12/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    I need this so badly. I have to roam at work all the time since I get no Sprint coverage inside my building.

However, I have a Windows 7 x64 system and am running a Pre 2. Has there been any progress on drivers (for QPST) for x64 systems, and/or drivers for the Pre 2?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I need this so badly. I have to roam at work all the time since I get no Sprint coverage inside my building.

However, I have a Windows 7 x64 system and am running a Pre 2. Has there been any progress on drivers (for QPST) for x64 systems, and/or drivers for the Pre 2?
    I have heard you can use XP mode but i have been unable to get the pre to even prompt a driver install within xp mode
    I'm running QPST in XP mode, but that's not the problem. I don't know how to install drivers in XP mode... can you?

If I can get the drivers installed, then I can work on getting QPST to detect the phone, but as of right now, I have neither driver working...
    Awesome! I would appreciate that. Thanks.
    Hey GuyFromNam, any luck with the DIAG drivers?
    Thanks GFN, the DIAG drivers worked perfectly. However, I can't get the PRL Hack to work. The new PRL (00001) just leaves me "Searching" when I switch to roaming. .
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Sorry, I wouldn't know the first thing. No idea what a PRL hack is.
    What version of QPST are you using? (not sure if that matters at all, if you pulled it off)
    The PRL Hack is the prl file included from XDA forums in the OP. I got QPST to work and it reads my phone and everything is perfect (Thanks to you) from the driver side.

It's just the PRL file that doesn't seem to work for me.

I'll keep digging around those forums I guess.

*EDIT: nm. I think I was understanding this wrong on how this actually works...*
    Last edited by SirataXero; 02/15/2011 at 12:54 PM.
    Update:

OMG! THANK YOU OP for bringing this up!

If I could thank you a million times more I would... The place I work has LITERALLY no Sprint service. I've been living off the Roam Only patch for the past year and a half (and 1x speeds).

After experimenting today, I got full bars and EVDO service EVERYWHERE. This was a GODSEND.

THANK YOU!
    <<Thread moved>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Bringing what up?
    So the OP posted a link to a site that shows a custom PRL file that you install through QPST which lets you roam on Verizon with 3G (Ev) instead of 1x. Thus I was thanking him for bringing that link to this forum.
    @SirataXero.

Are you on a Sprint pre minus? I'm in the same boat at work as you and would like to set this up. Any tips or suggestions on how to do this, or maybe a guide?

Thanks!
    I'd also love a guide to this. I'd run QPST on OS X.
    I will admit that I did not follow the links to read the background info but I had a question about this "hack". Who is paying for the service when you roam 3G on Verizon. With Sprint's existing roaming agreements they have paid Verizon something (perhaps just a quid pro quo) to get the rights to have their phones on VZW network when needed.

Doesn't this essentially steal bandwidth from VZW?
    Can someone explain this more indepth or point to a post that explains it more in depth?

I tried to follow this post (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...gstaff-az.html), but when I set my usb port 1 to Diag, nothing happens (apparently it's supposed to ask for your MSL) and when I exit and enter the app again, the usb port 1 is back to None.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast