Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well I am on a Sprint Pre-, I went into Windows 7 (32-bit) because I thought there would be less issues.

Well, I have the Pre plugged in and then i go to the USB Passthrough app and check off DIAG, and nothing happened. So I followed some other instructions that said to type in "mpt 0d" at novaterm (I did it using the terminal app). This prompted the computer to start installing device software, but it didn't find anything. The two items it wanted software for were:

General Serial Port
    Reduced CDC Abstact Control Model (R-ACM)

I clicked on these in device manager so I could try to install the custom Pre drivers I downloaded and tried to install qcmdm.inf for the R-ACM driver, then selected the Pre (Castle) DIAG mode option. I have no idea which file I should use though. There are 5 files in the zip I downloaded:

qcmdm.inf
    qcser.inf
    qcusb.inf
    qcusbmdm.sys
    qcusbser.sys

But I have no idea which goes with what and where.

ETA: OKAY, I GOT IT. I will write a short guide for everyone else next. It's crazy, I have four bars and 3G at my house! As soon as I pull up to my house, my Sprint service goes out and I get crappy 0-2 bar roaming that is spotty with calling and that's if I'm upstairs. Now, four bars...in the basement! Sick! This will last me until I switch to Verizon, lol. But a question, does this replace Sprint completely? Or only when I'm in a roaming situation?
    Last edited by malpha; 02/16/2011 at 07:57 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Okay, this was done on a Sprint Pre-, on Windows 7, 32-bit. This is what worked for me...hopefully it will work for you! I'm pretty happy. Everyone knows that yes, you can roam on Verizon...but that's if Sprint doesn't have some other crappy service provider that's cheaper than Verizon that they're gonna stick you on first. My roaming before this hack was so terrible. I think I was roaming on an Alltel tower 5 hours away from my house when there was a perfectly awesome Verizon tower near my city that Sprint shunned like hell. Now I'm on it. And I don't even have to put my phone on roaming to do it either. BOSS! Um, anyway....

0. Download the PRL from the first post.

1. Download and install QPST here: Download Qualcomm Product Support Tools (QPST) v.2.7.323 | QPST | Catalog - News, articles, free drivers and firmware catalog: X-DRIVERS.COM

2. Get your phone's MSL code: *2 to Sprint, ask for it, try not to be too annoyed by the low-level person who answers your call and takes five minutes to give you the MSL

3. Download these Pre drivers and unzip: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1998613 The drivers for the Pixi and the Pre 2 are different. GuyFromNam posted the Pre 2 drivers earlier in the thread, I don't know where the Pixi drivers are.

4. Plug in phone, then Terminal app: If not installed, install from Preware. Should be in one of the webOS internals feed (it might be in the testing one, so add that feed if you don't have it). Once there type:

mpt 0d

You should get a message after a few seconds about DIAG being enabled.

5. Install General Serial driver: Message should pop up about installing drivers, this will fail. Now, go to Device Manager (type it in at the start menu, should pop up). There should be a yellow triangle over two things: General Serial and Reduced CDC Abstact Control Model (R-ACM). On the General Serial file, right click and select Update Driver. Then, choose "Browse Computer for blah blah", it's the second option. Then there will be an option to Choose Driver location or Pick From List of Common Drivers (or some such, the second option). Pick the second option! On the next screen, hit next. At the bottom should be a button that says "Have Disk", click it. Go to where you unzipped the drivers and pick the "qcmdm.inf" file. On the next screen, pick the option that says Pre (Castle) Passthru MODEM! Let it installed, bam.

6. Install the R-ACM driver: Just like the last one, except you pick the "qcser.inf" file and select Pre (Castle) Passthru DIAG!

7. Open QPST Configuration: Go to the Ports tab, select add Port. Uncheck the "Show only Serial..." checkbox. You should see two ports, add both of them.

8. Service Programming: Of those two ports, one of them should show a phone installed (the other will say "No Phone"). Pick the phone port. Then go to Star Clients in the menu bar and choose Service Programming, then click your phone. Once here, click at the bottom on the Input MSL button, then input your MSL. QPST will read from your phone, then pick the Roam tab. On the section that says Preferred Roaming, click the browse button and choose the PRL you downloaded. Then click the Write to Phone buttton at the bottom and them, boom, done.

9. Disable DIAG Mode (Thank you GuyFromNam) : Yeah, I totally forgot this part, I didn't even do it myself until I was trying to mount it and nothing showed up. To disable it, I went to the Terminal app and typed in:

mpt disable

You should get a little message saying that DIAG mode is disabled.

Note, your Pre does not have to be in roaming mode for this to work, if you stick it in roaming mode it's going to say searching, so take it out of that mode.
    Last edited by malpha; 02/17/2011 at 03:17 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post

2. Get your phone's MSL code: *2 to Sprint, ask for it, try not to be too annoyed by the low-level person who answers your call and takes five minutes to give you the MSL.
    Does anyone know how to get the MSL via software instead of calling Sprint?
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Does anyone know how to get the MSL via software instead of calling Sprint?
    Check here: [How To] Retrieve MSL CDMA Workshop Method - xda-developers

From the looks of it, you will have to do all the steps I listed until you have installed both drivers. Then you can go to the CDMA Workshop program and get the MSL, then go on to QPST (which is when you use the MSL).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Check here: [How To] Retrieve MSL CDMA Workshop Method - xda-developers

From the looks of it, you will have to do all the steps I listed until you have installed both drivers. Then you can go to the CDMA Workshop program and get the MSL, then go on to QPST (which is when you use the MSL).
    Wow, not sure if I'm up too that but thanks. May just have to call them.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Well, once you have installed the drivers, go down in that post to where the CDMA Workshop part starts. The first few screens just show you how to install the drivers for that particular phone (you will see the same screens when you go through my instructions).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Yeah those directions are pretty convoluted. Just call and say you were asked to reset your phone and its asking for "something called an EM ESS ELL code... how do I find that?"

And they'll usually give it to you. I've gotten both Pre's MSLs on my account this way.
    Now will a PRL update reset this back to default? Is this what you would need to do to reset it.

Also anyone tested this on a Sprint Pre Plus?
    Well, the comm boards on a plussed Sprint Pre should still be the Sprint boards, so I don't see why it shouldn't work. No harm in trying really, if it doesn't work, a PRL update will reset it back to default.. Since you already have the drivers installed after doing it the first time, if your PRL gets updated automatically by Sprint whenever they release an update, you would just have to put your phone in DIAG mode, do the service programming on QPST, and then disable DIAG mode for it to work again.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Oh, man thought I had this all ready to go. Went to install the Serial and R-ACM drivers on my Win7 and forgot it is 64bit so the drivers won't work.

Are there Win7 64 bit drivers or a Ubuntu 32bit method?
    I had to end up installing "XP Mode" and Windows Virtual PC to get this to run on my Windows 7 x64. Luckily its a VERY VERY smooth process and VERY quick as well.

Try it out:

Download Windows XP Mode

Also: You don't need new drivers for anything that is "Sprintified". The "Sprintification" only deals with the tokens on the doctor, the device should still be the same. The Pre minus and plus have the same driver so that shouldn't be the problem, the stock Pre 2 drivers (that GFN mentioned for me earlier) will work with a Sprint Pre 2 as well (that's what I used for my Sprint Pre 2 and they worked fine).
    NOTICE:

What this hack does is make your phone prefer Verizon Ev OVER Sprint Ev. Thus, whenEVER your phone gets the chance, it will switch to, and stay with Verizon. Thus, your time roaming will increase exponentially. People on that thread have already confessed to getting "warning" letters from Sprint as well as a few people have gotten their contracts canceled.

Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    There's two types of drivers I believe.
    One set is by beezlewaxin, created for ebag33's GPS fix.
    The other set is called GAK-Asterman (original purpose unknown). These are used by JIC Tech to unlock GSM Palm devices.
    These Pre 2 drivers are called JIC Tech, so my guess is these are adapted GAK-Astermans.
    Well I have not been able to get the drivers to install on any of my PC, Win7 64 or XP, but I keep seeing this GAK-Asterman show up on my PC as a device and could not figure out what it was for. Well this Pre is a Plussed Sprint from an AT&T phone. I had unlocked the AT&T phone before the switch over.
    Does anyone know how to take off the GAK-Asterman drivers from the Pre? It seems to conflict with trying to install the serial and R-ACM drivers on my system. This seem to be a hold over file on my Sprint Pre Plus.
    In Device Manager, rightclick them, and select Uninstall.
    Then install the beezlewaxin drivers.

However, if you can see the GAK-A drivers in Device Manager, and there's no yellow exclamation mark, that usually means your Pre is in DIAG Mode and the drivers are installed correctly.

What kind of problem are you having?
    I was able to dig up my old XP laptop as my Win7 laptop is 64 bit and the drivers won't work. When the is put in Diag mode (mpt 0d) on the PC it pops up new devices as you would expect but 3 not 2. Gak-A, Serial and R-ACM show up. The PC insists on Gak-A drivers be install first.

If I can get past the several requests to install the Gak-A I can get into the device menu and see that all three devices are yellow. I can tell it to remove the yellow Gak-A driver an it does from the PC. But when I go to update the yellow serial or R-ACM using the drivers qcmdm and qcser I get the error "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". Maybe the drivers are not compatible with XP Tablet Edition.

Also on the MSL are they normally 6 numbers?
    Delete them, turn off diag mode and then re-enable it. (you know there's a patch in Preware for that right).
    Then when you're prompted to install the drivers, install as I described above. If you don't see a screen with Have Disk you're not there. It's the screen where the Manufacturers are listed.

Yes, MSL is 6 digits.
    No, I did not. Whats the patch called? Do you mean delete them from the PC or does this do it to the phone?

I deleted them from the PC and restarted before but still go the same error.
    USB Passthrough.

Drivers are PC drivers. Rightclick them in Device manager and select Uninstall.
    Reboot and then install as detailed before.
    I've guided dozens of users through this (required as well for NextGen unlock) so it should work, especially on XP.

No joy on even another XP desktop. The entire process goes well until I get to the point of selecting the qcmdm driver. When I go through the steps and click on the file I still get the error "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".

I am wondering if something in the driver needs it to be a stock Sprint Pre. Not a Plussed Pre something in my phone may be telling it is still a AT&T GSM phone.

I'm no expert at drivers and these the only lines I saw in the qcmdm driver for the PRE. I have no idea what they do.

%PreModem% = Modem2, USB\Vid_0830&Pid_8003&Rev_0216&MI_00
    PreModem = "[beezl] Palm Pre (Castle) Passthru Modem Port"

When I get back home I may try to use the AT&T Pre Minus to install the drivers. This might then allow me to at lest have the drivers on the system.
    Drivers don't have anything to do with the Pre.
    Strictly computer-side.
    Are you using the beezlewaxin versions from ebag33's GPS thread?

If you are, look for a post by RudeDog on how to edit the files (0216 to 0316 I believe). It's in the OP.

If you want to give the GAK-Asterman another try, PM me.

You unlocked that Plus, right?
    That's why you have the GAK-A drivers?
    Yes when I had the AT&T Pre Plus I unlocked it several months before converting it into a Sprint Pre Plus.

Yes, the Beezlewaxn drivers as linked in post 29 # 3 of this thread.

Will the Gak-Asterman drivers do the same thing for the Serial and R-ACM?

UPDATE: Now I attempted to use my mom's Sprint Pre - and ended up with the exact same error "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".

I'll PM you as the Gak drivers on the laptop 30 miles from here.
    OK a bit of an update. I was finally able to get the drivers to install after modifying them as suggested in prior posts. I was able to open QPST and gain access to my phone after entering my MSL. I was able to install the PRL file and it appeared to write it to the phone.

Now the problem exiting out of the QPST program and turning off USBPass through (mpt disable) I no longer have any EV/data connection.

Wifi works and the phone can make calls but no EVDO connection.

Anyone knows what causes this?

What setting should you have on in the phone prefs now?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Try a different PRL. There are three listed on the link in the first post. I found the first one listed did the same thing
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast