1.    #1  
    I have over 5000 emails on my Palm Pre and I suspect that's why it freezes for several minutes every time a new one comes in. Is there a way to purge a mass amount of emails (but not ALL), without doing it one by one? Please say yes.

thanks
    e-
    Umm not really . You can check setting and see if they are set to sync with the email account . If they are you can go to the email account on computer and delete them on there umm 1 by 1 or you can change setting on phone so they don't sync deleted email and just delete all . That's all I can think of .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for responding so quickly. I use gmail and deleting it from the computer does not seem to delete it from my phone, even though my phone is set to do that. Any gmail-specific thoughts to help me through this?

e-
    What's your sync time set to?

On the account that I get via POP, the gadget automatically deletes everything older than the sync time. It doesn't seem to do that for the Gmail account (IMAP), though. It's actually sort of weird. If I delete an email on Gmail that's less than a week old, it gets deleted on the server, too. If I delete on that's more than a week old, it doesn't seem to.

There are a lot of options embedded in the IMAP protocol. I wish they let us select the options that worked for us, instead of just having one default set.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. My device settings are set to All, every 5 minutes.

Moving forward, I now know to just manually delete emails in a timely fashion. What I need to do right now is to selectively delete approx 4000 of 5000 emails that are clogging my phone. Deleting them from gmail on the computer doesn't do it. I'm wondering if there's another option.
    Change the number of days that the account syncs back. Change it from All/1Month/2weeks to something shorter like 7/3/1 days.
    Thats weird. If I delete something off of my yahoo account it automatically syncs with my phone. Maybe try deleting your account on your phone and re adding it. You wont lose anything and maybe that will sync it right.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    One other thing. I use gmail and have added folders so that I can keep my inbox reasonably empty (100 emails or less). The other emails I file in folders that I can access if I want to. This seems to help.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by eleanorew View Post
    Thanks. My device settings are set to All, every 5 minutes.

Moving forward, I now know to just manually delete emails in a timely fashion. What I need to do right now is to selectively delete approx 4000 of 5000 emails that are clogging my phone. Deleting them from gmail on the computer doesn't do it. I'm wondering if there's another option.
    Also, if you set gmail to get emails "As items arrive" it will save you some battery. The pre supports IMAP IDLE which pushes the email down to your phone only when a new message arrives in your inbox. This means your phone won't be opening a data connection to look for messages when there aren't any new ones.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eleanorew View Post
    I have over 5000 emails on my Palm Pre and I suspect that's why it freezes for several minutes every time a new one comes in. Is there a way to purge a mass amount of emails (but not ALL), without doing it one by one? Please say yes.

thanks
    e-
    hmmm there's a patch in preware called "read/delete all email" that adds a button that deletes ALL the emails in a certain folder, you might want to just move to another folder the emails that you want keep and then just press that button!