Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Hey everybody,

I wrote a Guide on how to extend the battery runtime to the maximum over at my Blog. It's german but if there's a translated pdf version attached to this Thread.

The Guide deals with Mode Switcher, and Govnah, specially Voltage tuning.
    Check it out at Palm Pre: Energie sparen für Fortgeschrittene | SchiefGedacht and please tell me what you think about it!

P.S.: Remember to set the voltages again after Kernel update
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ice8lue; 01/12/2011 at 01:34 AM.
    any way to get that in english?
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    As I said, if there are some users who would like to have that in english over here, i'll translate it.

Will post an english pdf here later
    thanks so much... Those translators just don't work well
    Id like to see this in english as well. The translator works ok but the screenshots dont translate.
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I tried Google Translate, and it was....weird. :-)
    please please english translate.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    English PDF attached!
    One addendum. You suggest rebooting at the end of the process, but note that Govnah will load the Palm Default clock speed upon a reboot, so it should be added that users should go into Govnah and select the new 500/800 profile just created.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Doesn't it do that automatically after you did edit and save the new profile? For me it does...
    Have you tried the uberkernel default profile? I was wondering what that would do. I have been using it for a week now and my battery life is much better than when I was using screenstate 500/1000 although I really don't understand these that much.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    well, UK Default is exactly 500/100 so there shouldn't be that huge difference...
    If you go into advnaced settings then cpu frequency it says: Min Freq 125 MHz, Max Freq 1 GHz and setspeed 500 Mhz
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Ah, yes you're right. UK Default is a uses the userspace governor. Your Pre is then running @ 500 MHz (mostly) all the time. That's why your battery performance was better than
    so how does it know to go to 1 GHz? I just don't quite understand the settings. All I know is that when my phone is on the touchstone and it rings and I pick it up I have to press teh answer button now and before it would answer automatically when I took it off teh touchstone.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Oo okay

Well, i think it won't go up to 1GHz i think. Userspace clocks the CPU to whatever Luna tells it to .... and Luna always says 500MHz. Just when playing 3D games it will go up to 600MHz. It's only capable of running at 125 250 720 800 and 1000 MHz in theory then
    You say that underclocking has a negative impact on battery life as the CPU has "more work to do".

Where do you get this information from?

(I'm the one who wrote you an e-mail, so there is no need to answer it if you answer here -and more people benefit.

I assumed that setting Screenstate with min 250 would be ok as the Palm has not a lot of work once the screen is turned of. Following you argumentation this is nonsense.

btw: Thanks for you tutorial! I used to enable Data/Wifi through the device-menu which takes a click longer than Screenstate..
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Well, as I told you via mail already:

Setting clock rates of 250MHz or 125MHz won't result in higher cpu usage and energy consumation, that's just a simplified description. The point is, that all processes which run in the background (and there are many) are timed according to the standard clock rate of 500MHz. Using higher rates won't do any conflicts, but setting it to lower, for example time can behave very strangely, because it is "counted" with the normal cpu clock, because the Pre doesn't have a time chip.

Using lower clock rates won't directly result in higher cpu load or energy consumation, but there could occur other problems with system processes, while having a very small difference in energy savage. Therefore I recommend using 500MHz as a minimum. Of course, everybody is free to choose a lower clockrate and will, in most cases, not run into any problems with that decission.