Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to use my palm pre in my open cockpit experimental aircraft. This is a private aircraft that does not use IFR instruments so it is legal to use. I have it hooked up to my intercom headset using a cell phone voice amplifier. My trouble is when I have the phone power cord plugged in I get alot of electrial noise in my headset. If I don't have the palm pre plugged in to the power it is very clear. If I don't plug it in the battery drains within 30-45 mins as I fly when the temp is in the 20's or 30's here in Colorado.Does anyone know of an good solution to reduce the noise when it is plugged in to the power?
    Is it possible that I have a cheap car charger, it is the one from Verizion,
    Thanks
    Last edited by briandeb01; 01/06/2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added question
    How is it plugged in? Is it a AC/DC Converter? Standard lighter socket? etc. I haven't had much luck using converters in the car, so maybe that's it?

Also, there are external batteries you can buy that charge anything via USB. There is a big electronics store at I-25 and 84th (I grew up there) that probably has them, or lots of places on-line.
  3.    #3  
    Its a standard lighter socket in my aircraft. I even get radio noise when I plug it into my car, not a lot of noise but I can tell its there when the radio signal is weak. Its just a verizon power plug that came with the phone, maybe its a crappy power plug?
  4.    #4  
    No, that won't ground me! I have a GPS power plugged in and it doesn''t create the noise that I get from this phone.
    Just taking a stab in the dark here, but does it make the same noise when you put the Pre in Airplane Mode?
  6.    #6  
    yes it does. Anytime it is plugged in, even when I have it turned off.
  7.    #7  
    The radio shack ground loop item looks interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by briandeb01 View Post
    Its a standard lighter socket in my aircraft.
    Please tell me you don't smoke when you are flying... just checking.
  9.    #9  
    Nice comment. Fortunately I wear a full face shiel which stops me from smoking!
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I am trying to use my palm pre in my open cockpit experimental aircraft. This is a private aircraft that does not use IFR instruments so it is legal to use.
    While the FAA might not have a problem with it, you might want to seek the opinion of the FCC as well. Using a cell phone while airborne floods multiple ground cells with your call, wreaking havoc on the cellular system and causing interference to other callers.

I wonder how a touchstone would work as a noise isolator?????
    Hi

I'm assuming you have some form of alernator on your craft. It might be that (as a weight-saving move), simpler componenents might have been used. Is it a standard auomobile Alternator? Does the geometry of the engine/HT leads, etc maybe induce the noise in the charging circuit?

These would be the first items to look into.

BTW - does the pitch of the interference change with your engine RPM? Once again, that would indicate electrical interference from the HT electrical side.

Good luck!

russ
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post

I wonder how a touchstone would work as a noise isolator?????

It don't. lol I had mine on the touchstone in my car listening to AM radio, and as soon as i put it on i got a ton of interference. Took it off and it went away.
    I recall seeing somewhere a solar charger. Basically a solar cell with a USB socket and provides enough power to charge a phone. This is no joke, honestly can't remember where I saw it, but it was advertised for camping/quadding etc. I'll see if I can find a link

--That was easy --
    here's a whole page of different links...I originally posted the CNET link but there may be better ones out there.
    http://www.google.com/m/search?client=ms-palm-webOS&channel=iss&q=solar%20phone%20charger
    Last edited by sledge007; 01/07/2011 at 01:51 AM.
  14.    #14  
    Never though of that but I think it is common for private aircraft and the magizines I get for flying haven't mentioned it to be an issue. Nor does any of the mfg. of the cell phone adapters mention it.
  15.    #15  
    It is an aircraft mfg. engine. The engine operates off of the magneto. It does charge and power the 12 volt system but it does operate completly seperate from the other electrical systems such as the communication radio, intercom and gauges.
    Nice comment. Fortunately I wear a full face shiel which stops me from smoking!
    I hope that's not the ONLY thing that stops you from smoking!

But seriously, you might want to consider the Mugen 3800mAh battery to push your battery capacity up 3x.

Here is an example of what I was suggesting yesterday. It's external so you could keep it in your pocket for warmth if you used a long usb cable. If not with this particular model, then with another style of external battery...

Amazon.com: Duracell Instant USB Charger with Lithium ion battery / includes universal cable with USB and mini USB,: Electronics
  17.    #17  
    That might be a good affordable idea. I could keep it in my snowsuit pocket to try to keep it warmer and run the power cable out of my pocket to the phone. I think I like this idea. It takes me longer to suit up to fly then it does for me to set up to scuba dive!
  18. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I suspect the charger is of the switching type. These tend to produce EFI in the power cord, which then finds its way through the phone and out the earphone jack to your com unit.

I suggest trying an iron ferrite ring around the charger cord. These are also known as ferrite beads, ferrite torroids, or maybe even just "noise filter." (But all noise filters are not iron ferrite, so be aware) I haven't looked, but you should be able to find a suitable size online, or some place like Radio Shack. It is not uncommon to pass the cable through the ring and loop the cable back around the exterior of the ring for a second pass through it.

This effort should result in reduced EFI getting from the charger electronics into the phone, where they are amplified and passed on downstream. As a test, you can also try it on the line going into your com unit, but I'm guessing it will work best on the charger cable right before the phone.

Good luck!
    xtn
  19.    #19  
    yeah that was the first thing to try and I got some from Radio shack. Nope no good.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    While the FAA might not have a problem with it, you might want to seek the opinion of the FCC as well. Using a cell phone while airborne floods multiple ground cells with your call, wreaking havoc on the cellular system and causing interference to other callers.
    +1

However I think one person doing this is not a big deal and I also wonder if the altitude is high enough to cause issues or not.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast