Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the ease of installing tethering and mobile hotspots now, I was curious if anyone here on an unlimited data plan has ever been charged? Think I had over 9gigs last month and they never said a word.

Also, what is the most data you have ever used in 1 month?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Can't speak for other carrieres but on Sprint no I was not charged. I used it exclusively for one month just to test that and used over 12gigs of data at no extra charge.

Question: I recently doctored and lost my hotspot and I originally installed it long ago. What's the easiest way to download this these days?
  3.    #3  
    I am on Sprint as well.

Here is a thread I found (although not a great one).

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-4-5-ipad.html
  4.    #4  
    Furthermore, I have searched all over Sprint's website for some reference to a 5G cap. Everything I see says "unlimited".

Anyone have a link referencing the 5g cap?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I actually found the disk I had freetethered and hotspot backed up on and just reinstalled and am now using it to do this. Stoked!

I believe that 5g cap was a short lived rumor, I never heard of it again since it was mentioned many months ago.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Well, on the Singapore Carriers here, we have a 12gb cap.

Someone tell me how I'll bust this limit while playing videos on youtube all day? (not that I do since the Pre Plus's battery life can hardly last under web surfing)
    I've never come across anyone who managed to do it, even with tethering. Unless of course someone torrents with such a connection. On the side note, a phone would make an excellent torrent machine with it's low power, low cost. Just slap in a 32gb or 64gb mini SDHC card. Anyone know the typical upload speeds?
  7.    #7  
    I've torrented with my pre in a pinch. At times, my download speed reached 146kbs. Upload speeds are over 2x faster.

I think upload max is around 450.
    Last edited by cagefighter; 12/27/2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cagefighter View Post
    I've torrented with my pre in a pinch. At times, my download speed reached 146kbs. Upload speeds are over 2x faster.

I think upload max is around 450.
    OH!

you do mean 146kb/s right? not 146kbps?

Well, that makes it at fast as my ADSL connection hmm....
  9.    #9  
    Yes, sorry. On average, I get 40-60 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cagefighter View Post
    Furthermore, I have searched all over Sprint's website for some reference to a 5G cap. Everything I see says "unlimited".

Anyone have a link referencing the 5g cap?
    I don't have a link, but one month I had to use the Pre tethered as my main internent. At some point at night, once I had used a certain amount of data, they would shut off my data connection and the laptop and Pre would stop being able to connect to the internet. The next day, it would be fine.
  11.    #11  
    Anyone else care to share?
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    nope never got charged for data... the highest I hit was about 6Gb one month but now constantly be surrounded by wifi I no longer have that issue.
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    I have been charged extra with Verizon. I tether a lot.
    go ahead and use it regularly every month for ... humm lets say 3 months and use it alot and see if you get charged lol , trust me you will be warned first but if you continue they will charge you .

this is off sprint's terms and conditions !

Data: Services are not available with all Sprint phones. The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Unless specified otherwise 1024KB equals 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB. Usage is calculated on a per kilobyte, megabyte or gigabyte (depending on your plan) basis and is rounded up to the next whole kilobyte, megabyte or gigabyte. Rounding occurs at the end of each session or each clock hour and at which time we deduct accumulated usage from your plan, or assess overage or casual usage charges. You are responsible for all data activity from and to your device, regardless of who initiates the activity. Estimates of data usage will vary from actual use. Your invoice will not separately identify the number of kilobytes, megabytes or gigabytes attributable to your use of specific sites, sessions or services used. Premium content (games, ringtones, songs, etc.) priced separately. Services are not available for use in connection with server devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for private lines or frame relay connections. Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance. Availability of downloadable or streaming content is subject to change, including but not limited to television channels and radio stations. If user is not subscribed to a data included plan or add-on, Pay-As-You-Go charges are incurred when using data applications and services.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    And just in case you dont believe me here is the link to the page .

Terms & Conditions
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Blah blah blah, we all know what their contract says. They will warn you before you get charged more, so after getting the warning if you don't stop using so much data, that's your own fault. I haven't heard of anybody with sprint being charged extra. Verizon and AT&T is another story.
  17.    #17  
    I had over 22gigs use last month and not a word from Sprint.
    I don't like this thread. Seems like its just asking for spring to implement a tiered plan. Hesse: Too much downloading could mean the end of unlimited data on Sprint | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    I have Sprint and tether as my sole connection at home i downloaded a 3.8gig discography in the past 3 days and thats just 3 days i go over 10 gigs every month and so far so good way i figure i had this unlimited data for years and had not used it until i got my 755p which i first used to tether so thats been between the two phones about 2 years of tethering at least that i have been using it heavy like this. So far sprint has been OK. Knock on wood and all that good stuff. just a note I usually leave it on all night to download.
    It seems crazy to me that people are using that much data. I used to have the tethering plan, when I had my Treo, it was my only internet connection. I had to use it to work and I was working 2 jobs, but I still never went over 5G or 6G a month.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast