1.    #1  
    I have been lurking the forums here for a couple of days reading about the pre and webos. I bought a pre plus and I am expecting it to get here tomorrow and I have some concerns on the activation procedure.

I currently do not have a data plan (opt out) and I have been reading that you need date in order to create a profile. I have also read that you can use meta-doctor.

However my question(s) are: If I use meta-doctor to bypass activation and create a profile with wi-fi would the app catalog be limited? Can I just swap my friends sim with data, create a profile and then swap mine in? What are disadvantages of not having cellular data (e.g. blackberry needs bis for blackberry messenger)?
    Quote Originally Posted by thekoolninja View Post
    I have been lurking the forums here for a couple of days reading about the pre and webos. I bought a pre plus and I am expecting it to get here tomorrow and I have some concerns on the activation procedure.

I currently do not have a data plan (opt out) and I have been reading that you need date in order to create a profile. I have also read that you can use meta-doctor.

However my question(s) are: If I use meta-doctor to bypass activation and create a profile with wi-fi would the app catalog be limited? Can I just swap my friends sim with data, create a profile and then swap mine in? What are disadvantages of not having cellular data (e.g. blackberry needs bis for blackberry messenger)?
    I have read where Pre owners have did something similar to what you are describing.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hey thekoolninja,

I'm on an AT&T Pre Plus with no data plan as well, and I have good news and bad news for you.

The good news is that it's possible to activate the device with no data plan. I activated it and created a Palm Profile using pay-as-you-go data - it took about 83 kilobytes of data, which cost $0.83 (at the absurd rate of 1 cent per kilobyte, or $10/megabyte). I don't know how activating via meta-doctor would affect your app catalog access, but activating with pay-as-you-go data gave me access to paid and free apps in the app catalog.

Once you activate, you can turn off data usage (go to the phone app, pull down the menu at the top, and go into preferences). As long as you're on Wi-Fi, you can use Synergy and most other internet-requiring goodies. I think multimedia messaging (i.e., sending photos or video via text message) may require cellular data usage, but other than that you should be good.

Now for the bad news: if you ever need to restore the data from your Palm Profile (as happened to me when I had my phone replaced), you also need to do that over the cellular network. You can't configure a Wi-Fi network or disable data access until the profile has been restored - including re-downloading all your apps. As you can imagine, this would cost a small fortune over pay-as-you-go data. I suppose you could enable the $15/month data plan and restore over that, but there has to be a better way.

I even tried creating a new Palm Profile and then setting up Wi-Fi so that I could restore my data that way - but it seems that changing profiles requires a full wipe of the device, which of course removes Wi-Fi settings.

So, good forumgoers, is there a solution to this problem? Is there some sort of Meta Doctor or Preware magic that would let one restore his Palm Profile data over Wi-Fi, without removing access to the App Catalog or other silliness? If so, is there a particular tool you'd recommend?
    There is a patch in Preware that allows you to bypass activation and create a profile. There is a thread about it as well.
    Not sure where that thread is, but I found the patches in Preware, and they're working for me. They are:

- "Show FirstUse App" - Unhides the icon for the "first use" app. (This is the app that has you create a new account or log into an existing one.)
    - "Enable Profile Creation - Activation Bypassed" - This allows you to actually use the "first use" application. If you don't enable this patch, you'll just get a screen with a picture of the sky when you run the First Use app.

I've actually activated my phone and created a dummy account so that I could use it without downloading lots of data over 3G, but these patches let me switch to my previous profile and download all my data over Wi-Fi.

HP Provides info on how to bypass activation (search Google for "Developing on an Unactivated Device"). You could also use the WebOS Meta Doctor. That said, activating "for real" only uses a little bit of data, and doesn't require modifying WebOS or risk upgrade woes later on.
    I have both "Show Firstuse app" and "Enable Profile Creation on a Bypassed ..." patches applied and installed via WebOS Quick Install. However, the app does not show in the Launcher.

I do not know what else to do to run that app. I have an 02 Palm Pre Plus from the UK that I unlocked using nextgen.

Anybody know how I might be able to get that First Use App started?
    The version of "Show Firstuse app" that's on Preware is the US version, I believe. You want the UK version of the patch.

If you search the PreCentral forums for "[Patch] Enable Profile Creation on Activation Bypassed Device (1.4.5)", there should be a link to the UK "Show Firstuse app" download in that thread.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    If you metadoctor just to skip the firstuse app, then you can connect to wifi then run the app, allowing you to sign into or create a palm profile.
    After this, if your SIM you used to create your profile is in/tied to the US or another supported country, you can use the app catalog using wifi or a network data plan.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by toilet View Post
    I have both "Show Firstuse app" and "Enable Profile Creation on a Bypassed ..." patches applied and installed via WebOS Quick Install. However, the app does not show in the Launcher.

I do not know what else to do to run that app. I have an 02 Palm Pre Plus from the UK that I unlocked using nextgen.

Anybody know how I might be able to get that First Use App started?
    You may get it to show by setting you language to US English. I believe there is a bug that prevents it from appearing if the language is set to any other. Don't know if US English is an option on O2 Pre Plus.