1.    #1  
    deleted
    Last edited by guest_; 08/12/2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I would imagine this is possible. Ultimately, you're looking to mix & match parts from two Minus'es to make a functional GSM Pre- at the end.

Although you will have to adjust the instructions a bit, I would suggest looking here (if you haven't already) for help:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-guide.html

Good luck / let us know how this goes!
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    It's possible, Rod did it before.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Rod did the oppisite I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    Rod did the oppisite I believe.
    Pre 2, yes, but for the Pre he did the reverse. He has Sprint Pres which are useless in Australia, it's all GSM there.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    radio baseband is your main bridge to cross.
    Quote Originally Posted by compuseum View Post
    Hi,
    is it possible to convert a Sprint-Pre to GSM?
    Given items:
    - a working Sprint-Pre in immaculate condition
    - a German GSM-Pre with shattered display and mangled housing.
    - all necessary tools
    - spirit of adventure ;-)

OK, switching the comms-board is a piece of cake, so making the Sprint-Pre (hardware-wise) GSM-capable is not a problem.
    Is there anything else I have to do (besides flashing a German WebOS 1.4.5)?
    The antenna wires and connectors are laid out differently enough so swapping only the communication boards will not work: I'm afraid you'll have to keep the mangled backside of the phone (the one that holds the battery).

I guess what you really want is a new touchscreen (and maybe a new screen if broken too).

The fastest way to go is not very academic, but I've successfully been this way quite a few times. For each phone:
    • Remove the six TORX screws so the back of the slider with the COM board & battery will loosen from the metal part of the slider
    • Play with the slider mechanism so you can remove (from the inside of the battery compartment) the 4 Philips screws that keep the screen to the other metal part of the slider (gently twist the plastic frame if needed)
    • Unplug the 2 ribbon cables that connect the CPU board to the keyboard and the communication board
    • Now swap the CPU boards so you have the SPRINT touchscreen & screen with the GSM CPU board (has everything you want to keep!)
    • Then reassemble the GSM Pre with the new SPRINT touchscreen and screen undoing each of the above steps in reverse order

Your GSM Pre will be up and running again (consider yourself lucky not to have to deal with tokens swap and meta-doctoring).

Does that help?

PS: I've been almost the same way with a broken GSM Pixi and working SPRINT Pixi this morning, but the Pixi hardware is by far easier to manage!
    Palm Pilot Pro -> M505 -> T|X -> (franken) Pre & Pixi -> Pre2 2.2.4 & TP
    Linphone port to webOS (1.4.x -> ...), lately working on NAVIT