1.    #1  
    I plan to upgrade to a new device in the next few months, hopefully HP Palm will have released a device, if even the Pre2, on Sprint. My problems is that I just found out that after I switch service to a new phone, my Pre will be completely disabled! Never mind that it has a fully capable Wifi option, Sprint says that unless it has an active account connected to it the phone will not allow you to operate it in any was except to place emergency calls.

I find this highly irritating! I have my 3 year old Centro at home and it may not be able to use the data network, but it can still be a Palm device! If I decided to disconnect my laptop from the internet it is still a laptop!

I have dozens of paid apps on this Pre and I want to keep using them, does anyone know of any way around this 'non-provisioned phone' problem? Can any of the over-clocking kernels get around it?

I am not seeking to do anything illegal, I own this phone and have paid for every app on it. Can anyone help?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    I plan to upgrade to a new device in the next few months, hopefully HP Palm will have released a device, if even the Pre2, on Sprint. My problems is that I just found out that after I switch service to a new phone, my Pre will be completely disabled! Never mind that it has a fully capable Wifi option, Sprint says that unless it has an active account connected to it the phone will not allow you to operate it in any was except to place emergency calls.

I find this highly irritating! I have my 3 year old Centro at home and it may not be able to use the data network, but it can still be a Palm device! If I decided to disconnect my laptop from the internet it is still a laptop!

I have dozens of paid apps on this Pre and I want to keep using them, does anyone know of any way around this 'non-provisioned phone' problem? Can any of the over-clocking kernels get around it?

I am not seeking to do anything illegal, I own this phone and have paid for every app on it. Can anyone help?

Hi,

I stopped using my Pre and bought an Evo.

I was able to still use my Pre at home as a Wifi only device without problem and everything worked fine. Your Palm profile will not be harmed if you change to another device (android or whatever), I do not know what will happen if you try to upgrade to another Palm device. I'd suggest making another profile.

FYI: being able to use my Pre at home convinced me that it was still the best phone for me.

nnb
    If you're planning on moving to another palm phone - then you can use your same palm profile. That way all your apps will be reinstall on your new phone.

Once you have disconnect your current phone for another...then that phone is now inoperable.(i.e. Data and voice)
    If you upgrade to a new webOS device and transfer your existing profile to it, your original Pre will wipe itself automatically.

If you upgrade to something else, you can still use your Pre as a wifi device. You'll still have access to everything you bought and you can still access the App Catalog to buy more apps. You can even use the Update app to install newer versions of webOS when they are available.

If for any reason you need to Doctor your unactivated device, you'll need MetaDoctor to bypass the FirstUse app (the one that automatically loads and asks you to signin/create a profile).

Don't worry, your Pre will still be very functional as a wifi device.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    That seems to make one want to switch to another platform rather than sticking with Palm, which seems ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    That seems to make one want to switch to another platform rather than sticking with Palm, which seems ridiculous.
    I agree.

I tend to keep my devices after i upgrade and sometimes want to use them for a separate purpose. If I upgraded to another webOS device, I'd want to keep the first one working (with my apps installed) as a wifi only device for use around the house (Pandora, messaging, music, etc), in the car, Music (remix), or as a travel aid. If I am forced to wipe it, then I am actually less likely to buy another palm device.

nnb
    I'm sure they'll be changing this system with the release of the Palm Pad though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm sure they'll be changing this system with the release of the Palm Pad though...
    What makes you think that? I'd hope that would be true, but it would be additional revenue if customers are forced to buy two copies of each app they want (one for the phone and one for the pad.

nnb
    The main thing HP is pushing is synergy between webOS devices (phones, tablets, printers, etc...). If they make people buy the same app multiple times to achieve this synergy, they will fail. I'm sure HP wants to be competitive in this market... I believe they will allow for a single Palm profile to be shared across multiple devices.

In fact, I remember reading something about webOS 2.0 changing how Palm profiles work (or something like that...).
    Here's to hoping they do that. Does Apple have it set up that way with the iPad?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    The main thing HP is pushing is synergy between webOS devices (phones, tablets, printers, etc...). If they make people buy the same app multiple times to achieve this synergy, they will fail. I'm sure HP wants to be competitive in this market... I believe they will allow for a single Palm profile to be shared across multiple devices.

In fact, I remember reading something about webOS 2.0 changing how Palm profiles work (or something like that...).
    Well that does make sense. I hope that it works that way. I might actually see myself buying a tablet and new phone if both work together.

And a watch. I want a webOS watch :-)

nnb
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Here's to hoping they do that. Does Apple have it set up that way with the iPad?
    I believe Apple lets you use a purchased app on like five devices. Not sure of the exact number, but it's definitely between 3 and 5 lol.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    I believe Apple lets you use a purchased app on like five devices. Not sure of the exact number, but it's definitely between 3 and 5 lol.
    according to what I've heard on podcasts, you had to buy all your ipad apps again. Don't know about multiple phnes/ipod touches
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    according to what I've heard on podcasts, you had to buy all your ipad apps again. Don't know about multiple phnes/ipod touches
    I'm pretty sure that only applied to iPad-specific apps. For example: A Developer would remake their app to better take advantage of the tablet's screen size. That's why people had to rebuy some things.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Apple lets you transfer the apps and use your account on multiple devices, however, if they aren't specifically made for the device, they don't always work and look right.

I have a very close friend who's an Apple freak and buys every new thing they release.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!