Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The other day I ran into a problem with trying to find a downloaded attachment that I really needed to access on my USB partition. I went into Terminal and searched for it, found in a directory 5 levels deep and then used Internals to open the file. Too many steps for me.

I created a script, called findattach.sh which searches for an attachment in the /var/data/attachment directory and for any files matching the search, copied them to /media/internal/attachments directory. Saved me a few times already,.

Hope it helps others too. Place it in a directory on your pre and run it like this.

.\findattach.sh install.log

And it will echo out any files matching and copy them to /media/internal/attachments directory.

Cant upload shell scripts, so save the file as findattach.sh and enjoy.

MikePre
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Very nice. Hopefully Internalz will have this capability soon.
    Last edited by NachoB; 11/04/2010 at 09:07 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    what directory do we need to put it in?
    I haven't tried yet but /usr/bin might work.
    Last edited by NachoB; 11/04/2010 at 09:08 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    I placed it in /usr/bin and named it find.sh

Then in Terminal tried
    Code:
    find.sh pre
    receive an error that it cannot create the directory, invalid argument. Then outputs what it found.

Last edited by NachoB; 11/04/2010 at 09:09 PM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  6.    #6  
    DO you have write ability to /media/internal? It creates /media/internal/attachments directory if it does not exist already. Try running this 1st before the script.
    "mount -o remount,rw /"

It should run from any directory, I run it in my /media/internal/backup directory where I keep other scripts that I have written, like backup ones, etc...
    I can't get it to run either. I am getting the same error nachob is getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    DO you have write ability to /media/internal? It creates /media/internal/attachments directory if it does not exist already. Try running this 1st before the script.
    "mount -o remount,rw /"

It should run from any directory, I run it in my /media/internal/backup directory where I keep other scripts that I have written, like backup ones, etc...
    Won't be able to test any further just yet, got involved in something else at the moment. What I did notice is that it created a file "attachments" with no extension in the /media/internal directory.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  9.    #9  
    I will take a look at it in a few hrs when I am at my pc.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I placed it in /usr/bin and named it find.sh

Then in Terminal tried
    Code:
    find.sh pre
    receive an error that it cannot create the directory, invalid argument. Then outputs what it found.

I would not recommend naming it find.sh as find is the command that I am running in the script. Find is a built-in executable on Linux and by calling the script the same name could override the find on the Pre which could product unexpected results.
  11.    #11  
    Ok, Can someone try this one that I am attaching? It doesnt create any directories, and will copy the attachments that match the wildcard search to the current directory that you are in. You will need to have write access to the directory you are in. You can set write access to the entire device by entering: "mount -o remount,rw /" and then set it back to read only using: "mount -o remount,ro /"
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Maybe someone can turn this into a simple app??

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  13.    #13  
    I can look into that this weekend, just never had much luck with WebOS UI development in the past....It would be pretty simple. One text box to enter in the search item, and one button to star the search. Sounds pretty simple...has anyone had success with the latest version?
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    I can look into that this weekend, just never had much luck with WebOS UI development in the past....It would be pretty simple. One text box to enter in the search item, and one button to star the search. Sounds pretty simple...has anyone had success with the latest version?
    Im sure some of our lovely devs here can help you out with that....

Cant they?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I'm "Out of the Office" at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I'm "Out of the Office" at the moment.
    LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by nachob View Post
    i'm "out of the office" at the moment.
    hahahaha!

Soooooo..is anyone going to give this a shot?

No luck on making this into an app huh?

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    it's not THAT easy. You need access to the filesystem and that needs a homebrew service e.g.the filesysmngr from jason. I may have a look into it later.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast