Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Disclaimer: I have only played around with the DTMF files (12 of them), but I would assume the below procedure applies to the other pcm files as well. I do not know what relation to WebOS the other pcm files have. I have not used any other audio program to modify these files and have no knowledge of how to do so using another audio application.

**Thanks to Garrett92C for locating the directory of these files **

Files are in pcm format and are located in /usr/share/systemsounds along with other pcm audio files.

(Instructions below are using GoldWave v5.58)

Generated the audio files I wanted to use from non disclosed web site..

The site used generates Wave PCM 16 bit signed, 16000Hz, mono files.

Well, Palm WebOS wants them Raw PCM 16 bit signed, 44100Hz, mono to play correctly.

• So I first manually trimmed the audio and increased the volume of all the files (the louder the better right), then saved them how they originally were (Wave PCM 16 bit signed, 16000Hz, mono). Let's say I saved them to c:\DTMF. There is an Auto Trim Process in GoldWave's Batch Processing which could be used to automate trimming of the audio, but I have never used it (call it a control issue if you will )

• Next, using GoldWave's Batch Process, pointed it to the folder c:\DTMF, converted them to Type: Wave, with Attributes: PCM 16 bit signed mono, and a Rate (Hz): 44100 (necessary step so that the speed is adjusted accordingly with the bump up in Hz). Specified to save them to a different folder in the Batch Process dialog window (probably not required to save to a different folder but I didn't want to modify the original files I was playing with in case I wasn't successful). Let's say I saved these in c:\DTMF\Edited. So now I have all new wave files in the Edited folder, properly playing at 44100 Hz.

If you would prefer to manually adjust the Hz to 44100 on an audio file you have open, from the Effect drop down menu in GoldWave choose Resample and change it to 44100.

If your audio is already in Wave PCM 16 bit signed mono, 44100Hz, you can skip this step.

• Next, performed another Batch Process, this time pointing it to folder c:\DTMF\Edited, and converted them to Type: Raw (*.snd), with Attributes: PCM signed 16 bit, little endian, mono, leaving the Rate (Hz) unchecked. Since I didn't change the Save To folder, this generated filename.snd files in c:\DTMF\Edited.

• Lastly, renamed all of them to filename_#.pcm via Windows Explorer, copied them to /usr/share/systemsounds and rebooted. Yaaay, success!!

This only affects the audio played through the speaker when dialing a number using the phone app keypad, the modified audio will not sound while on a call. There is no negative impact on the DTMF audio output while actively on a call and using an automated system such as voice mail.

Some edited DTMF files are avaible in the following thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2717453

Please feel free to to myself

and/or to Garrett92C

If you appreciate the work done.
    Last edited by NachoB; 10/21/2010 at 10:52 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Very detailed instructions.

Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    yes. very detailed instructions.. I love Goldwave.
    Nacho--what did you change these from and to? I understand that you downloaded some sound files to replace existing ones. What did you change? What is DTMF audio?
    The noise the keys make when you are on a call and press the keypad?
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    yes. very detailed instructions.. I love Goldwave.
    Nacho--what did you change these from and to? I understand that you downloaded some sound files to replace existing ones. What did you change? What is DTMF audio?
    The noise the keys make when you are on a call and press the keypad?
    Yes, the DTMF sound files are for the Phone dialpad buttons.

<edit>

To be more clear, the DTMF tones that we replace only change the sounds our phones play when you press a dialpad button. It doesn't affect the tone our phones send out for those automated services like voicemail and such.
  5.    #5  
    In simplest terms, a PCM 16 bit 16000Hz mono wave file --> PCM 16 bit 44100Hz mono wave file --> Raw PCM 16 bit 44100Hz mono audio file.
    Last edited by NachoB; 10/19/2010 at 02:25 PM.
    ok. so when I press 3, the phone will broadcast the 3 tone to "the call", but I will hear whatever pcm i save as dtmf_3.pcm (for example mamacita3.pcm)?

Ok. Sounds interesting. So you dont like the standard tones I take it and thus the change?
    ok. so when I press 3, the phone will broadcast the 3 tone to "the call", but I will hear whatever pcm i save as dtmf_3.pcm (for example mamacita3.pcm)?

Ok. Sounds interesting. So you dont like the standard tones I take it and thus the change?
    Yes, that is correct.

I personally don't like them, but I'm sure a lot of people tolerated them until now. For me, it's more about getting an idea and making it happen lol.
  8.    #8  
    I'll update the original post, but it actually only plays the modified tones when initially dialing a number. Once on a call it's the real dtmf tones you'll hear.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/24/2010 at 05:15 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  9.    #9  

Started as a user request and quickly became a challenge.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/24/2010 at 05:15 AM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    thanks guys. Yes...challenges are what keep us alive, and the Pre the phone that it is.

just got an idea...record my 2 year-old daughter somehow counting to 9. Convert those to pcms and make them my phone's dtmf....

See...ideas guys!!!!! thanks
  11.    #11  
    Did my voice on my Garmin, so I could tell myself where to go
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/24/2010 at 05:16 AM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Attachment 53106Got it down! Sweet deal!
    I wonder how this is going to be affected by webOS 2.0? I kept a copy of the original files just in case, wonder if it would be wise to change them back or if the new install of 2.0 will overwrite them anyway?

I went a different route(partially) I had a hell of a time finding a TTS program that was free and able to export to mp3. wav anything
    I just recorded my own voice(at 44100) and added a flange and echo effects to it, and followed the rest of the instructions. Here it is if you want to check it out. One of the things that threw me was the renaming of the files(for whatever reason). I renamed them on my PC, put them on my phone and I was finding these files dtmf_1.pcm.snd...not realizing that you were renaming them on your phone through your computer.haha. only wasted 5 minutes of my life before I got it. I'll make up a few more with some different types of effects and throw them up here too. Thanks Nacho!

--ED-- added a demo dtmf_0.wav so you can hear what it sounds like prior to installing on your phone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/20/2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Here's another one I made up with a vocodor voice encoder. Neat robotic sound.

--ED-- added a demo dtmf_0.wav so you can hear what it sounds like prior to installing on your phone.
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/20/2010 at 02:14 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Some waterdrops, only had 9 samples so * 0 # are repeats of 1 2 3
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    One of the things that threw me was the renaming of the files(for whatever reason). I renamed them on my PC, put them on my phone and I was finding these files dtmf_1.pcm.snd...not realizing that you were renaming them on your phone through your computer.haha. only wasted 5 minutes of my life before I got it.
    Thanks Nacho!
    For me, after converting them to dtmf_#.snd, I did rename them to dtmf_#.pcm on the PC before copying them over. Didn't experience your issue of them showing up with a .snd extension on my Pre as you did.
    Hmm I don't know why it didn't. On Windows Vista 32bit, after the file was converted, clicked the name and changed it. Doesn't want to lose the .snd for some reason so it would look like dtmf_1.pcm.snd for example.
    Made up another set based on Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
    demowavs and .pcms just remember to delete the .snd off the end of the file before or after the transfer. just messin around I'll see what I can't come up with.
  17.    #17  
    Do you by chance in Windows Explorer folder options have Hide Known File Type Extensions checked? Only reason I can see this happening to you.
    thanks. that was it
  19.    #19  
    Yaay, yet another highly technical issue resolved LOL
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. Just picked up a TP a few weeks back and love being able to tweak the notification sounds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast