View Poll Results: How Has Overclocking Affected You And Your Phone?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it, more than I expected, I'll never go back!!!

69 59.48%
  • Satisfied, what I expected

42 36.21%
  • Neutral, I can't tell the difference

5 4.31%
  • Less than satisfied, wasn't what I expected

0 0%
  • Hate it, overclocking killed my phone!!!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I decided to make this poll for general interest, more specifically for people unsure about modifying their phones, about risks involved etc.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    lobotomy...
    3 months now, 1G, so far so good.
    1g uber gets me through the day on 1 freaking battery! It's amazing. I used to use 3 with my centro.
    I just slide the keyboard open, do what I need it to, then close it. Done. Rather than sitting there waiting for crap to load, processes to happen, screen burning away the battery faster than the processor... Yeah, it's uber-doober.
    1ghz=what the phone should have been out the gate. Love it! A little better battery life (imo) or maybe it's because I'm not waiting as much for data to load. I even keep up with Evo and Galaxy phones. They only get me with the 4g stuff....then I point out they have no 4g signal!

so the affect is that I'm happy with the Pre (without Homebrew..i probably would have tried another phone) and will wait for the next phone.

how overclocking has affected the phone.....idk....just hope it doesn't melt down before the new phone hits.
    Only went from 500mhz to 600mhz (screen state) and the battery already dies faster. The difference is this: before overclock, I'd run out of juice by the time I get home every night; after overclock, the battery dies out in the afternoon when I'm out with friends.

But just going to 600mhz already makes it way smoother. I guess the best way to go is to set it back to normal whenever you think you will be away from a charger for a long time.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    1GHz since out on Uberkernel. No issues, much better performance, I see no reason not to do this, its a different phone with it.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Perfromance at 1 gig is fantastic. It has not been my experience that battery life improves, but I am a rather intensive user, and have the phone in use for several hours a day. The overclock did drain the battery quickly with my usage, but now I have Seidio, and get a whole day of awesome zipiness on a single charge. It is so good now, I'm not even all that anxious about new hardware.
    I am running mine at 500/800 screenstate (occasionally going to 1Ghz when showing off the phone) and for the most part I love it. When I first overclocked, I actually noticed a battery improvement at 800 Mhz, but recently I have noticed a serious battery performance hit. Here it is only 10 am and I have only sent two emails since taking it off the touchstone at 8:30 and I am already down to 78%. But I can live with the battery drain for now...I am almost always around a charger or touchstone, as the performance is more than worth it...games like Need For Speed almost HAVE to have overclocking to be smooth. Mine used to glitch and hiccup throughout the game making it almost impossible to finish a race...but now it is smooth as butter.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Uberkernel on 800 did it for me for a month or two till recently. Latest (experimental?) version of Govnah and/or Uberkernel resulted in hilarious battery drain. So back on stock kernel now
    How Has Overclocking Affected You And Your Phone?

Me: No radiation damage so far.
    My phone: Made it faster.

;-)

No change in battery life or heat that I noticed so far.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  12.    #12  
    I used to work in the wireless telecom industry up until last year and the going motto was "You'll never be a super hero without at least some sort of radiation"
    but for some reason, I don't think RF and M/W are quite strong enough.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Since the 1.4.5 update I've decided to jump right in and do the Uberkernal. Wow, feels like a brand new phone! Definately notice a difference in overall speed and when playing games. Govnah is a must! I'm still scared it will fry the processor.. but so far so good! Battery does drain faster for me even with the Seido battery, but if I cannot get to a charger during the day, I just tone it down to 500 again.
    Uber 1G with no burps or hiccups. Battery seems better. Temp to 44C on occasion, mostly when just off Touchstone. Way faaaaaaaaster!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcardle View Post
    Since the 1.4.5 update I've decided to jump right in and do the Uberkernal. Wow, feels like a brand new phone! Definately notice a difference in overall speed and when playing games. Govnah is a must! I'm still scared it will fry the processor.. but so far so good! Battery does drain faster for me even with the Seido battery, but if I cannot get to a charger during the day, I just tone it down to 500 again.
    Similar experience for me.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Without U/K I would have jumped ship by now. With U/K, I can play my PDK games, open as many apps as I want and actually USE the phone.

I even was able to sway a guy who'd left the Pre and seemed to look at me with sad sad eyes that I still had my Pre by showing him how fast the Pre could be.

I love overclocking. webOS Internals Rocks!!!
    I couldn't believe it the first time I used my pre with 1Ghz. Man it completely changes the phone. Literally Zero lag. Everything is so fluid. Scrolling, launching & closing apps, web browser, camera app. Just amazing. I will never go back to anything under 1ghz. Even with a battery over a year old I can still get through the whole day easy.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I am a more wary overclocker, just doing the 800/500 Govna/Uberkernel.

And I don't notice a thing while I am using the Pre - which is GREAT!

No more Too Many Cards, or wondering if something is happening in a application that always works. My Sprint Pre just simply works the way it should, and that is great.
    Been running SR71 at 1.2 since the beginning and have had no problems, love overclocking.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    1 GHz and it hasn't changed anything about my use of the phone. It is a little smoother and faster but that doesn't translate into any real world benefit for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast