Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 234
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #161  
    good point. if the apps are carded, and the 60 seconds go by, it switches to default mode.
  2. dizzwave's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    I noticed that you didn't mention if your apps are open and in the foreground (as in not carded or minimized). I believe that the app must have the focus for the app trigger to work.

    Not sure this is what you are experiencing, but thought it was worth mentioning.
    Yep, I was gonna suggest the same. If you minimize your email and go over to, say, the Messaging app to send a text for more than 15 (or 60 or whatever) seconds, the Data On mode will close. Your net apps have to be in the foreground for the trigger to stay triggered. (I think Sconix said it wasn't possible to code it otherwise, iirc..)
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by kallan42 View Post
    drahgon,

    Thanks VERY much for this information! I've been looking for a way to maximize my battery life when I'm away from my wifi connections at home and at work. I was considering getting an extended life battery but I think now I'll save my money.

    I couldn't get the import feature to work in Mode Switcher so I just followed your instructions in the first post. It took a while to enter all my internet-enabled apps, but the process really is simpler than it sounds. I made only two small changes to your instructions: I set the delay for my Internet Browser to 60 seconds instead of 30 (to make Find as you Type internet searching easier) and turned off the GPS in Phone Only mode (since I don't normally use GPS unless I'm using Google Maps, then I turn it on manually). I strongly suggest anyone who's using this setup get Device Menu Megamix or a similar patch. It makes turning the various radios on & off much easier.

    My results have been spectacular. Yesterday, I knew I was going out late for a meeting, so I switched off the wifi in the morning and went with Data on Demand for the entire day. When I got home at 8:30 at night, after a day of light use my battery still had 70% life left!

    Thanks again for all your work and for sharing this with all of us. It's community activity like this that makes me glad I own a Pre.
    Nice those are some of the best results so far I have heard. Glad I could help. Did you find that you were still receiving your emails fairly regularly? Also I can't remember which Device menu patch it was but look out because few of them conflicts with the Mode switcher patch.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    Nice those are some of the best results so far I have heard. Glad I could help. Did you find that you were still receiving your emails fairly regularly? Also I can't remember which Device menu patch it was but look out because few of them conflicts with the Mode switcher patch.
    I still get emails fairly regularly, but I may not be the best judge of this. My work often keeps me fairly close to a computer, so I get much of my email that way. I also don't get a lot of truly urgent email. If someone needs to get hold of me immediately, they will usually call or text. Other users may want to play with the repeat time for the Data On check to make sure they get their email in a timeframe they're comfortable with.

    I have both the Mode Switcher Patch by sconix and the Device Menu Megamix patch by Jason Robitaille installed and they seem to be playing nicely with each other.
    --
    I am a (new) Palm user!
    floridarandy likes this.
  5. #165  
    i had to doctor my phone, and I imported my previously working modes from google docs, but I dont see it working correctly.

    I attach the txt file of mode DATA ON DEMAND, which enables DATA as groups demand it--thanks draghon.
    One of the groups is the apps. As I launch any of the apps listed under Group 1 triggers, Preware, Email, Blackjack, etc, DATA does not get enabled and obviously the app hangs. I know that certain apps take longer to trigger the data, but I've had email open for a minute, and no data at all.

    As I am doing this, my phone is connected to a USB charger, which is a trigger for enabling data under a separate group. Data remains disabled.

    Do I have a wrong setting in there somewhere? Or do I need to redoctor my phone.. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    i had to doctor my phone, and I imported my previously working modes from google docs, but I dont see it working correctly.

    I attach the txt file of mode DATA ON DEMAND, which enables DATA as groups demand it--thanks draghon.
    One of the groups is the apps. As I launch any of the apps listed under Group 1 triggers, Preware, Email, Blackjack, etc, DATA does not get enabled and obviously the app hangs. I know that certain apps take longer to trigger the data, but I've had email open for a minute, and no data at all.

    As I am doing this, my phone is connected to a USB charger, which is a trigger for enabling data under a separate group. Data remains disabled.

    Do I have a wrong setting in there somewhere? Or do I need to redoctor my phone.. Thanks
    When you open a group 1 trigger app does a banner popup on the bottom saying "updating default mode?
  7. #167  
    no banner pops up when I open an app. Whenever I go into MS and just look at things, I get the banner stating "updating default mode", even though I did nothing to the default mode.

    In answering your question, I went in to Data on Demand mode to double check the apps in there, as soon as I closed MS, i got the banner stating "updating default mode".
    Last edited by NABRIL15; 10/14/2010 at 12:02 PM.
  8.    #168  
    Well double check no other modes you created are blocking other modes. double check group 1 triggers to make sure that there are only app triggers and nothing else. something is not allowing your triggers to go off. if all else fails uninstall reinstall the app set triggers manually.
  9. #169  
    drahgon
    still analyzing, but here are my modes. They appear alright to me:
    1) Blackjack (Normal) --launches app, turns on data everyday at 7:15am, closing at 7:20. Blocks other modes
    2) Night sleep (normal) -- sets airplane mode from 11pm - 7am everyday. Blocks other modes
    3) data on demand (modifier) -- enables data, blocks other modes and has various trigger groups.
    group 0 - apps in foreground, display state on, and no wifi
    group 1 - wall charger and no wifi
    group 2 - touchstone and no wifi
    group 3 - usb charger and no wifi
    group 4 - repeats for 5 mins every 15 mins and no wifi.

    All groups have Any Grouped as required behavior.

    Looks fine, right?
    Last edited by NABRIL15; 10/14/2010 at 01:05 PM.
  10.    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    drahgon
    still analyzing, but here are my modes. They appear alright to me:
    1) Blackjack (Normal) --launches app, turns on data everyday at 7:15am, closing at 7:20. Blocks other modes
    2) Night sleep (normal) -- sets airplane mode from 11pm - 7am everyday. Blocks other modes
    3) data on demand (modifier) -- enables data, blocks other modes and has various trigger groups.
    group 0 - apps in foreground, display state on, and no wifi
    group 1 - wall charger and no wifi
    group 2 - touchstone and no wifi
    group 3 - usb charger and no wifi
    group 4 - repeats for 5 mins every 15 mins and no wifi.

    All groups have Any Grouped as required behavior.

    Looks fine, right?
    looks good try taking off all wifi triggers and see how that works out and second getting rid of your other two modes and trying again.
  11. #171  
    Hi,

    I'm not sure I've gotten this entirely correct. When I was setting up the 5 groups of app triggers, the first group names itself "0" followed by "1-5". So, I left "0" empty, and put all the app triggers in "1" and then did the battery and charger triggers as indicated in "2-5".

    It seems, once I close Mode Switcher, that it updates the default setting and data seems to go off. Then, some time later, I notice it has turned back on and I have to open and close Mode Switcher again, which seems to turn it off again. Then, when I open a trigger app, such as email, it seems to take a long while for data to turn on. Then, it doesn't turn off again after I close the app.

    I just de-activated and activated mode switcher, and can't get the data to turn off.

    Is there a way to know if I did it right?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 10/28/2010 at 08:38 PM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  12. #172  
    One other question... when I edit default mode, under miscellaneous, under on startup, should it be set to active mode or default mode?

    Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    It seems, once I close Mode Switcher, that it updates the default setting and data seems to go off. Then, some time later, I notice it has turned back on and I have to open and close Mode Switcher again, which seems to turn it off again.
    The five minute on every 2 hours may trigger at the beginning of your mode. This means the it potentially will stay on for five minutes once the mode is initialized. This may be the reason. Try waiting it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Then, when I open a trigger app, such as email, it seems to take a long while for data to turn on. Then, it doesn't turn off again after I close the app.
    This is normal. It is a webOS limitation. It takes a few seconds for the data radio to turn on. Once you close an app, it will stay on until you hit the delay setting (15, 30, 60 sec).

    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I just de-activated and activated mode switcher, and can't get the data to turn off.
    Is there a way to know if I did it right?
    Thanks!
    Be sure you have data turned off in your default mode and turned on in your DataOnDemand mode.

    EDIT: I should also add that you should check all other modes to be sure they do not turn on data and override the OnDemand setting. All other modes should either not touch the connection settings or have data set to "do not set".
    Last edited by palmuse; 10/28/2010 at 09:41 PM.
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    One other question... when I edit default mode, under miscellaneous, under on startup, should it be set to active mode or default mode?

    Thanks!
    It is up to you. I have mine set to Active Mode. It will start with the last active mode after a reset. If you always want it to start in defualt set it as default.
  15. #175  
    HELP!

    *Data turns on randomly, even when it isn't scheduled to

    *Data turns off when I am in the middle of using a trigger app

    *Oddly, data turns OFF when I turn OFF Mode Switcher

    I've tried turning on data from the drop down menu patch, and THEN turning on Mode Switcher, and this seems to turn it off temporarily.

    I've tried turning on and off Mode Switcher and rebooting, and this sometimes helps.

    But, nothing explains why data is turning on randomly when I am not using a trigger app, or why it turns off when I am.

    Any thoughts, anyone?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 10/29/2010 at 05:35 PM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  16.    #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    HELP!

    *Data turns on randomly, even when it isn't scheduled to

    *Data turns off when I am in the middle of using a trigger app

    *Oddly, data turns OFF when I turn OFF Mode Switcher

    I've tried turning on data from the drop down menu patch, and THEN turning on Mode Switcher, and this seems to turn it off temporarily.

    I've tried turning on and off Mode Switcher and rebooting, and this sometimes helps.

    But, nothing explains why data is turning on randomly when I am not using a trigger app, or why it turns off when I am.

    Any thoughts, anyone?
    Try removing the timer trigger. See if that helps.
  17. #177  
    On occasions I have noticed that same thing I am playing with the triggers to see why. The thing that is odd is that the data on demand is the only one that will randomly come on like there is an app running in the background that I am unaware of. I have let to track that culprit down.
  18.    #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    On occasions I have noticed that same thing I am playing with the triggers to see why. The thing that is odd is that the data on demand is the only one that will randomly come on like there is an app running in the background that I am unaware of. I have let to track that culprit down.
    Yea this was happening to me too. The timer trigger was the culprit I found. I think that it is buggy.
  19. #179  
    is there a particular reason why there has to be different groups for the triggers? If i just setup a wifi trigger and screen state in one group what woud the effect be?
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    is there a particular reason why there has to be different groups for the triggers? If i just setup a wifi trigger and screen state in one group what woud the effect be?
    Yes. The reason being that each group activates the mode if all triggers in that group are triggered.

    If you put wifi and screen state in one group, then whenever wifi is connected AND your screen in on, that mode will activate. Regardless of the state of all the other groups.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions