Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #121  
    Well that is if you use the palmuse's Screen State trigger which I currently don't. It is more immediate if you don't. But I just did some testing and by manually editing the import file I was able to set the Screen State trigger to 1 second. It was a bit faster, however it still took between 8-15 seconds for data to come on. I think that this is a Webos limitation and that all apps will experience a delay waiting for the Screen State to be reported by Webos. Even in Govnah it takes a few seconds for it to switch speeds using Screen State.
  2.    #122  
    Actually after saying that I think that Screen state trigger is supposed to be triggered as soon as it gets the state of the screen from Webos. I think Delay is actually how long it takes for the trigger to deactivate when you turn the screen off.

I just tested this by making the delay 60 seconds and I'm right data still takes about 8-15 to turn on. So that delay is definitely a Webos issue.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Ok, I've been trying out this set of modes for almost a day, and so far it rocks! Battery life is way better, and I still get what I need out of the phone.

After getting annoyed with waiting 15 seconds*** for the Data On mode to turn on when opening an internet app, I realized I could just manually start the mode. There are a couple of ways to do this:
    1) Add a launcher shortcut to the Data On mode (go into the mode config -> swipe the upper-left menu -> select "Add To Launcher"); or
    2) Install the mode switcher top bar patch that lets you control modes from the carrier string spot, and turn on/off the mode from there. (I think it's called System Menu Mode Menu, or something like that.)

I actually ended up reinstalling Device Menu Ultramix*, which also has a Data Connection toggle. I mostly wanted it for the quick access to brightness, flashlight, and GPS controls, and probably won't use the Data toggle, but.. it's there when I need it.

One thing I've noticed.... Some apps don't take a full 15 seconds to kick off the mode. Bad Kitty seems to kick it off right away (but that might be because I have Bad Kitty set to run in the background to check for new tweets every once in a while); Email seems to kick it off pretty quickly; yet the web browser and Sprint Nav take their sweet time (the full 15 seconds), and then need to be restarted anyway. (For those moody apps I think I'll be manually kicking off the Data On mode first.... and maybe even removing their triggers. (Or not.. hmmm, if I manually start Data On mode, then open the browser, then later close the browser, will the Data On mode quit? I'll have to experiment...)**

Ahh, tweaking.... love it.........

*EDIT: I just found out that Device Menu Ultramix doesn't play well with the System Menu Mode Menu. But, Device Menu Megamix does. And, they're more or less the same.

**EDIT AGAIN: Yep, if I manually start Data On mode, then open an internet app, then close that app, Data On mode quits itself. For better or worse. (Probably better, for these purposes...)

***UGH, ANOTHER EDIT: Ok, so it turns out there's no 15 second delay. That 15 seconds, if I'm not mistaken, is the delay between *closing* the app and *closing* the mode. As for the delay when opening an app... it just seems like some apps take longer than others. Drahgon pointed out something similar in a recent post in this thread (two posts above this one, actually).

On that note, I have now increased all of my triggers' 15 second delays to 60 seconds. I found that sometimes I'd be switching from an internet app to a non-internet app for 30 seconds, but not wanting the Data On mode to quit just yet. This includes the Touchstone trigger, since, sometimes I pull the phone off the touchstone to send a text or something, but don't want the unnecessary mode switch.
    Last edited by dizzwave; 09/22/2010 at 05:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Just another note........ I was at first trying it with a custom Screenstate 125/1G that I made, and battery life was not a lot better. So I tried it with the stock 500/1G, and then it got wayyy better. Seems like YMMV depending on when your Pre was made, your astrological sign, etc., but, something to play with.
    I am curious, will this interfere with the functionality of Battery Saver, which puts the phone into airplane mode given a certain range of hours in the night....
    will mode switcher take it out of airplane mode when trying to activate data connection?
    Thanks
  6.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    I am curious, will this interfere with the functionality of Battery Saver, which puts the phone into airplane mode given a certain range of hours in the night....
    will mode switcher take it out of airplane mode when trying to activate data connection?
    Thanks
    Good question I'm not sure. My guess is it would mess with airplane mode..which would cause it to mess with Battery Saver. but just a guess you'll have to try it.
    Ok, Im kinda confused on how to set this up. In order to for this to work the "default" way as posted in post #1...I HAVE to do all those manual steps or no? Does it come installed that way with those settings already?
    If not, what do I do? lol go through all those steps?

Also, is there any way to take the icon out of the lower right of pixi screen? and all the notifications it shows down there?
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Ok, Im kinda confused on how to set this up. In order to for this to work the "default" way as posted in post #1...I HAVE to do all those manual steps or no? Does it come installed that way with those settings already?
    If not, what do I do? lol go through all those steps?

Also, is there any way to take the icon out of the lower right of pixi screen? and all the notifications it shows down there?
    No, the icon has to be there on the pixi for mode switcher to work.

You can import but you still have to manually adjust certain parts. Manual creation isn't that hard accept for the app triggers
    Man, that stinks that eats up tons of screenspace and interferes w/ linux terminal =(
    Guess I wont be using MS for now =/

Hopefully someday they will code a way for that icon to be there but hidden and restore full size of screen.
    thanks, this is a great idea. 2 quick questions.

1. If I change the 100 down to 80% for the top level that should have my phone function normally (ie. Radios on all the time) until the battery level drops to 80% right?
    2. I live in NYC and have been throwing the phone into airplane mode every time I get on the subway (30 minutes of searching for signal kills my battery very quickly). Will this obviate the need for that, or does the "phone only" mode still kill the battery when there is no service?
    Well, I would imagine if phone only mode, leaves the phone radio on...It will still search for towers while on subway for phone connection, and end result would be the same...killing of the battery.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Man, that stinks that eats up tons of screenspace and interferes w/ linux terminal =(
    Guess I wont be using MS for now =/

Hopefully someday they will code a way for that icon to be there but hidden and restore full size of screen.
    you can't hide the dashboard on the Pixi??
    wasn't sure if maybe the phone only mode only searched for towers when it was needed (ie. making a phone call). You are probably correct though.
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    you can't hide the dashboard on the Pixi??
    Well there is no option that I know in its standard config, to hide the dashboard, but maybe there is a patch for it? But, I like to see it pop up for my other programs when they alert me of stuff.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Ok, I just made a few edits to my post above, regarding the top menu, trigger delay times, etc. Post #123 above... Here's the link:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2674008
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I have been noticing a few problems with the WiFi triggers added to this. It seems that in order for this to work correctly you must first be connected to a access point, then disconnected. If the phone is rebooted, and wifi has not been connected, then disconnected, the data will not turn on with any of the app triggers. Once WiFi has connected and disconnected the triggers work. Anyone else having this problem? Is this a bug with Mode Switcher, or a "feature"? It would be nice if there were a simple WifI on/off trigger, instead on just connected/disconnected....
    not sure if this is the same issue Kbrabble is having or even related but; since I set up these modes, my wifi enabled when on a touchstone modifier and my wifi disabled when disconnected from _____ don't seem to work. Both modes get triggered, but the wifi connection isn't effected.

I am sure there is something very basic I am missing but I can't figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzwave View Post
    Probably true.. In fact, I just ordered one yesterday via Amazon, for $3.50 + shipping! It'll be nice to have the backup, too.
    Could you post some details or a link to the battery you ordered?
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    not sure if this is the same issue Kbrabble is having or even related but; since I set up these modes, my wifi enabled when on a touchstone modifier and my wifi disabled when disconnected from _____ don't seem to work. Both modes get triggered, but the wifi connection isn't effected.

I am sure there is something very basic I am missing but I can't figure it out.
    I have a wifi disconnected from trigger that is working when using data on demand.

if triggers seem to get stuck for me (happens every now and then with too many things happening at once), I try to normalize where all the modes are off, go into mode switcher config, then exit mode switcher. This kind of jump starts default mode for me and seems to get everything back on track
    I think I am on to something. Seems I have conflicting modes. Wifi On - turns wifi on and is triggered by going on touchstone.

Wifi off - Turns off wifi when i become disconnected from my home wireless network.

So when I am at work and throw my phone on the touchstone, nothing happens (wifi remains off), whereas I want it to look for signal automatically when I put it on the touchstone.

p.s. would be great if there was a way to make it so that: if I don't find a wifi connection within 2 minutes, shut down wifi.