Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Thanks drahgon, this Data on Demand capability is revolutionary.

Palm should bake this into webOS as an option, probably default.

Palm could add a Radio switch requirement for each app to identify which radios an App needs. Then when they start, they could trigger the needed radio(s) on. Optionally you could set it so that radios where turned off when not required, just like Mode Switcher.

This would be a feature of webOS that would put it ahead. Now that this idea is on the Net, someone will probably use it, it should be Palm.
    Welcome But the REAL problem and why turning off data works so well is because Synergy is always working in the background. It really is the main culprit. Things like syncing your Facebook account where synergy constantly downloads everyone's new profile pics never really let your phone's data sleep (within 30 min of someone changing their pic it shows up on my phone for example).

Data on Demand is really just a band-aid to control Synergy. What palm really needs to do is let users control how often Synergy syncs data. If they did that Data on Demand would do little to help your battery life.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    Welcome But the REAL problem and why turning off data works so well is because Synergy is always working in the background. It really is the main culprit. Things like syncing your Facebook account where synergy constantly downloads everyone's new profile pics never really let your phone's data sleep (within 30 min of someone changing their pic it shows up on my phone for example).

Data on Demand is really just a band-aid to control Synergy. What palm really needs to do is let users control how often Synergy syncs data. If they did that Data on Demand would do little to help your battery life.
    I agree with your points about Synergy, but we often leave several radios on that we forget to turn off. This Data on Demand approach would eliminate most of the user complaints about short battery life. Especially newbees who might tend to leave everything on.

Here's a patch idea. Can someone set up a patch to set how often Synergy synergizes? Given Palm's desire to limit preference options, and leave the fancy stuff to Homebrew, its time for a new patch series regulating Synergy.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I agree with your points about Synergy, but we often leave several radios on that we forget to turn off. This Data on Demand approach would eliminate most of the user complaints about short battery life. Especially newbees who might tend to leave everything on.

Here's a patch idea. Can someone set up a patch to set how often Synergy synergizes? Given Palm's desire to limit preference options, and leave the fancy stuff to Homebrew, its time for a new patch series regulating Synergy.
    I hear what your saying and you do make a good point, that even if Synergy could be regulated shutting off radios when not needed would still be a good thing since on mobile devices every bit of power matters.

I'm not sure why no one has created a Synergy patch yet. Maybe it can't be done?
    hey I have to report my success with this thread and the settings. I took my phone off charger at 500am and it is now 1000 pm and I am just now getting to 15%. Major kudus to draghon for his initial work and palmuse for posting his settings to help me get the most out of my pre. Data on Demand is a dream come true.
    Last edited by mamouton; 09/20/2010 at 10:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I hear what your saying and you do make a good point, that even if Synergy could be regulated shutting off radios when not needed would still be a good thing since on mobile devices every bit of power matters.

I'm not sure why no one has created a Synergy patch yet. Maybe it can't be done?
    2.0 is supposed to make Synergy available to developers. That seems like an opportunity for this type of patch. Or maybe an App.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Thanks for coming up with these settings. This has helped my phone last longer than it ever has before.
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    hey I have to report my success with this thread and the settings. I took my phone off charger at 500am and it is now 1000 pm and I am just now getting to 15%. Major kudus to draghon for his initial work and palmuse for posting his settings to help me get the most out of my pre. Data on Demand is a dream come true.
    Welcome Glad it helped and thanks for testing it out. What was your usage like for the day? would you say it was Light, Normal or Heavy?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I am trying to set it up so that I can still use other Modes like "work" and have Data on Demand enable when needed. It seems to work sometimes but not consistently. Any ideas?
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by dentz View Post
    I am trying to set it up so that I can still use other Modes like "work" and have Data on Demand enable when needed. It seems to work sometimes but not consistently. Any ideas?
    Make sure Work and the other modes are set to "Normal", Block is not set to "Other modes or Modifiers" and most important sets Data to "Disabled"
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Wow, this look awesome and I'm ready to try it.
    Has anyone experimented with, instead of setting it to "every 2 hours," setting it to every 1 hour, or even every 30 minutes? I'd like to get e-mail notifications a little more often, without having to manually open an app... But I guess I can't eat my battery and have it too..... Still, just curious if anyone's tried that and still had better-than-normal battery life.
    thanks!
    -dave
  11.    #111  
    I haven't tried it but I think it would kill your battery noticeably faster. You probably open something internet based more often than you think. Plus whenever you are charging or around Wi-Fi you will also get email. I say try it the way it is fora day or so and see how you like it first, then change it. I get my email pretty much every 30-45 minutes because I'm always using an internet app or charging or around Wi-Fi.
  12.    #112  
    Also if you use palmuse's Screenstate variant you will get email much more frequently
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Good point. Ok, I will try it.
    First, I have to reinstall Mode Switcher. My battery's been so crappy lately that I uninstalled nearly everything -- patches, MS, 1GHz.. But it doesn't seem to have helped, so, I'm gonna try this now. Thanks again!
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzwave View Post
    Good point. Ok, I will try it.
    First, I have to reinstall Mode Switcher. My battery's been so crappy lately that I uninstalled nearly everything -- patches, MS, 1GHz.. But it doesn't seem to have helped, so, I'm gonna try this now. Thanks again!
    NP If your battery life has been extra crappy though. Your battery could just be wore out. Data on Demand will help but you might need a new battery as well to get a full day's use. Just something thing to think about.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Probably true.. In fact, I just ordered one yesterday via Amazon, for $3.50 + shipping! It'll be nice to have the backup, too.
  16.    #116  
    Nice. That is cheap. I think i'll help myself to one for that price.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Make sure Work and the other modes are set to "Normal", Block is not set to "Other modes or Modifiers" and most important sets Data to "Disabled"
    That did it. I forgot to change the Block setting.

With a fresh visit to the WebOS Doctor and now this, my phone is going to last all day...
    ...and night!!
  18.    #118  
    If anyone's phone seems a bit sluggish using DOD(Data on demand), like I have, I figured out that using banners and having MS change app setting(like email) really makes your phone slow when using DOD. So I disabled all the banners and took out every setting except connections and my phone is lightning fast. This also makes the data connection turn on very quickly when a trigger is triggered. highly recommend.
  19.    #119  
    Also has anyone else had problems with the timer trigger. It seems to go off randomly sometimes and it will stay triggered much longer than 5 min. Sometimes it will stay on for 20+ min. I ended up removing it.
    If anyone's phone seems a bit sluggish using DOD(Data on demand), like I have, I figured out that using banners and having MS change app setting(like email) really makes your phone slow when using DOD. So I disabled all the banners and took out every setting except connections and my phone is lightning fast. This also makes the data connection turn on very quickly when a trigger is triggered. highly recommend.
    Nevertheless, it still suffers from the mandatory 15 second delay after trigger before execution of Data Connect profile, which is extremely annoying.

Best if we can flip the profile around, with Default being Data=on; and Data=Off profile with timer for 55 minutes every hour. If only Sconix can give us those extra timer options.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast