Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #61  
    On a side not. The Mode Menu patch doesn't work with Device Menu Ultramix. Drove me crazy trying to figure out what patch was causing it not to work, so I thought I would share with everyone.
    I ran a little test today at work. I have tweaked this mode slightly for my prefs. So far the results are looking great. (hope my link works). I will write up my tweaks and post.

Basic test here was to leave the phone off for an hour to see what my drain would be. Data was off (screenstate) and I under clock to 250 (screenstate). The result was 1% drain in 1 hour! I was shocked.

The trick is as soon as I need my data connection, it's there and my phone cruises at 1G. When I don't need either. My phone actually sleeps as seen. Very nice.

http://www.twitpic.com/2p2ym5
    Last edited by palmuse; 09/16/2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Sorry if this has been covered in the previous 4 pages, but has the issue of apps needing background updates been covered.

I use Flight Predictor and Flight Track a lot, and both apps do background updates at varying intervals. If the flight is a day away, the apps might update info every hour or two. The closer it is to flight time, the more frequently it seeks update.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    I ran a little test today at work. I have tweaked this mode slightly for my prefs. So far the results are looking great. (hope my link works). I will write up my tweaks and post.

Basic test here was to leave the phone off for an hour to see what my drain would be. Data was off (screenstate) and I under clock to 250 (screenstate). The result was 1% drain in 1 hour! I was shocked.

The trick is as soon as I need my data connection, it's there and my phone cruises at 1G. When I don't need either. My phone actually sleeps as seen. Very nice.

. Rocka-bye-baby... My #pre fell asleep. Chk the stats: #webo... on Twitpic
    Nice test. I wish my phone would underclock because that 1% drain is awesome. I estimate using data on demand at 500mhz drains 3-5% per hour when the screen is off. Hmm you gave me an idea though I thought about using the screenstate to control data on demand but I play a lot of games which would keep data on and kill the battery....BUT if make another mode "Data Off" set a bunch of game app triggers that should work great. Hmmm
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I'm really impressed with these settings. My battery life has dramatically improved. With your settings and using Sconix's Top bar patches, my phone is like a brand new device. Sconix's patches and MS program are amazing. Now, if only the GPS on my Verizon Palm Pre worked, I would be in heaven.
    Hmm. I also can't get the google docs import to work.

UPDATE: Restart, etc., and it works.
    Last edited by grappler; 09/17/2010 at 02:21 PM.
    This is very cool. Thanks, Drahgon.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered in the previous 4 pages, but has the issue of apps needing background updates been covered.

I use Flight Predictor and Flight Track a lot, and both apps do background updates at varying intervals. If the flight is a day away, the apps might update info every hour or two. The closer it is to flight time, the more frequently it seeks update.
    It hasn't been really covered.

Well background processes can still access the internet but only if one of the following occur.

1. The timer that goes off every 2 hours goes off and your data connection stays on for 5 minutes. (In case you dont use any internet based apps this allows background processes and email to run as a last resort)

2. An app that uses the internet is in the foreground which keeps the data connection on until you put it in the background or close it. (which happens often usually for most people)

3. Your phone gets connected to a Wi-Fi network.

4. Your phone is charging and has more than 30% battery left.

I designed this mode so that things like this would not be an issue as I wanted to still get my email frequently. So as long as your internet is on when it seeks an update you should get it and I think most apps even if they look for an update an there is no data connection it will wait until you get a connection and try again. Also as the flight time gets closer you should think about keeping the app in the foreground to keep the data connection alive since you want minute to minute up to date info.
    Ran into issues with my WiFi Disconnected trigger today. The wifi is too buggy to be reliable it seems. Bummer.

Screenstate to turn off data works well. I have it paired with a battery trigger: High 100% Low 75%. Of course this is overridden by the specific app list.

Back to the drawing board for the wifi/data overlap.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    This is very cool. Thanks, Drahgon.
    no problem. Glad people are finding this useful took me forever to create and fine tune.

Dont forget to hit the thanks button
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    Ran into issues with my WiFi Disconnected trigger today. The wifi is too buggy to be reliable it seems. Bummer.

Screenstate to turn off data works well. I have it paired with a battery trigger: High 100% Low 75%. Of course this is overridden by the specific app list.

Back to the drawing board for the wifi/data overlap.
    yea the wifi disconnect triggered annoyed me to no end as well.

ooooo I like that. Data is screenstate until 75% then it is on demand. Hmmm that would solve the issue with gaming. Nice best of both worlds. I might give this a try.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkatabelo View Post
    I'm really impressed with these settings. My battery life has dramatically improved. With your settings and using Sconix's Top bar patches, my phone is like a brand new device. Sconix's patches and MS program are amazing. Now, if only the GPS on my Verizon Palm Pre worked, I would be in heaven.
    Glad to hear it. I just got a Pre Plus that Im going to try to put on Sprint. I hope I dont get the GPS issue.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    My results haven't been spectacular and I think I finally figured out why.

background 100 to 75% is really fast. faster than normal. data on demand is a little better. I'm hitting 30% at about 6pm versus at 4pm before.

I am using screenstate with a 250/800 setting in govnah. Issue is that I updated to 1.4.5 and made the data on demand changes about the same time so I'm not sure if changes in 1.4.5 changed CPU util or not. Before the change with 250/800, I would pull my pre off the charger at 7am and was at 80% by 10am-11am depending. Now by 11am I'm easily at 70%.

What I found was that all the new modes really add on and mode switcher has the most handles open per jstop and I believe I'm having a race to 0 issue. My average load coming out of screen-off state is usually around 5%. I vaguely remember it being around 3% before. (per govnah)

I've changed my screenstate to 400/800 and might try 500/800 to see how it goes, but so far in the quick 2 or 3 tests and checks I've done, my avg load is <2% coming out screen-off.

more tweaking, more tweaking
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    Hmmm yea that's funny because it used to work fine for me but since 2 days ago I have noticed that my phone was in Data on all day. I thought the timer just went off but your right it was never shutting off. I just removed Mobile hotspot and Neato from on background and now it works fine. That is definitely a bug with Mode Switcher. Nice catch
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    I just looked into this idea. Its a good idea but unfortunately not possible. If you make a Normal profile called Hotspot and turn on data on when it is triggered. You still need a way to trigger it. You can only open an app once the mode is already triggered. You cant trigger a mode by opening an app only by its state(foreground or background) but not opened or closed.

You could still make this mode and trigger it manually which stinks but it seems like the only work around unless you want to keep Mobile hotspot and Neato in the foreground when you use them....or until this bug gets fixed..*cough*Sconix*cough*
    I wonder if you have to use MS to turn off the freetether as well since that runs with mobile hotspot.
    Ok I am struggling with making sure I only use wifi at home with the settings in this thread. Can someone please post the settings being used to use wifi exclusively at home and still have the data on demand and phone only triggers? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Ok I am struggling with making sure I only use wifi at home with the settings in this thread. Can someone please post the settings being used to use wifi exclusively at home and still have the data on demand and phone only triggers? Thanks!
    Have you tried creating a modifier configured connected to your ssid and block other modifiers? I don't think you can use "disconnected" to ssid in data on demand and have it be consistent but I would need to test.
    The data on is blocking modifiers so it won't start!

Is there a way when the data using phone only mode kicks in that it can search for wifi signal first before trying to connect to EVO signal?
    Last edited by mamouton; 09/18/2010 at 10:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    The data on is blocking modifiers so it won't start!

Is there a way when the data using phone only mode kicks in that it can search for wifi signal first before trying to connect to EVO signal?
    ahh...i don't configure mine to block other modifiers. I don't have any other modes that manage data except for my low battery and that's a normal mode not a modifier.

That kind of intelligence is not built into mode switcher. You could create a normal mode for wifi that blocks modifiers. Normal mode trumps
    This thread should make the front page news. Thanks a lot, op!
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    ahh...i don't configure mine to block other modifiers. I don't have any other modes that manage data except for my low battery and that's a normal mode not a modifier.

That kind of intelligence is not built into mode switcher. You could create a normal mode for wifi that blocks modifiers. Normal mode trumps
    I was just using the imported modes from this thread. Is it possible to have wifi on with no data on?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast