Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    No its not the patch, because I have the same patch and it works well. Double check Phone Only mode. Make sure that it is a Normal mode not a Modifier Mode and that Block is set to Other Modes so that no other mode can override it. Also check that the Connection settings set Data to Disabled
    I have those settings. I will get a little banner notification when it is going into Phone only mode, but that's it.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I just tried this with Mobile Hotspot set to foreground worked perfectly. I started it turned it on, then shut it off and closed it. No problems Data turned on, then off. I'll do a little more testing to see if I can reproduce the problem. I have a sprint phone too BTW.
    It is working. I had to restart the phone after getting rid of the background trigger. And, I had already changed the upper limits on the triggers to 100%, didnt see the need to have data on with WIFI.
    I have an additional tip for this.

One thing I struggled with was having both wifi and data on (wifi connected, of course) at the same time. It is redundant and counter to the goal here.
    I tried to figure out a complex scenario when it hit me. If you simply add a Wifi Disconntected trigger to each group, you effectively only get wifi when connected and data only when wifi is disconnected. Not both connected at the same time.

You can turn your wifi on/off at will and still be sure you will have an internet connection when needed.

I basically only use wifi at home and data at work. I do not like the idea of gps triggers as my gps eats my battery. So this solution should work for me.

This thread has really opened my mind to playing with MS. More than I have in the past. Really exciting.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    I have an additional tip for this.

One thing I struggled with was having both wifi and data on (wifi connected, of course) at the same time. It is redundant and counter to the goal here.
    I tried to figure out a complex scenario when it hit me. If you simply add a Wifi Disconntected trigger to each group, you effectively only get wifi when connected and data only when wifi is disconnected. Not both connected at the same time.

You can turn your wifi on/off at will and still be sure you will have an internet connection when needed.

I basically only use wifi at home and data at work. I do not like the idea of gps triggers as my gps eats my battery. So this solution should work for me.

This thread has really opened my mind to playing with MS. More than I have in the past. Really exciting.
    Great minds think alike I originally did this actually for the same reason, but what I found was that when I was in certain rooms in my house or in my car outside, where I get a really weak Wi-Fi signal. I kept getting disconnected then connected to the Wi-Fi which kept switching modes repeatedly and it made it impossible to use the phone until I moved to a stronger signal. I decided to just keep data on when Wi-Fi is connected since it doesnt really matter anyway if it is off. It doesnt use that much more power since it is idle and I rather not be annoyed.

If you have a strong signal in your house you should be fine, but I think for the average user I rather not introduce a potential problem that will make them hate using Data on Demand.

Great idea though keep them coming.
  5.    #45  
    @hrminer - well if it is going into phone only mode and you have data set to disabled and no other modes override it. It should work.

Has anyone else tried out Phone Only Mode?

Try maybe a hard reset. If that doesnt work try deleting all other modes and test out again. If that doesnt work then 2 extreme cases would be remove all your patches and try again, then doctor and try again.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrabble View Post
    It is working. I had to restart the phone after getting rid of the background trigger. And, I had already changed the upper limits on the triggers to 100%, didnt see the need to have data on with WIFI.
    great. I agree with Wi-Fi its pretty pointless.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I have a low battery mode which is basically a phone only. I've had some modes get "stuck" before where they don't seem to trigger. Recreating them usually works
  8.    #48  
    @hrminer - Ok your right I just tested it out by setting Phone Only trigger to 100% and it seems that Phone Only will only block a modifier mode from happening but it wont shut it off if it is currently triggered. So you have to wait for Data On to shut off normally(which should happen once you hit 29%) and then you will be ok.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    So this is my first full day testing this and my battery life is actually worse than normal. Not an issue with the modes, per se.

I'm working from home today, so the Pre is connected to wifi. With the changes I made to email "as items arrive" to support the data on demand. my work email is chewing through my battery life something fierce. Dang it More fine tuningl

I had made another check email modifier to change schedules but it was built with 3G in mind
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    So this is my first full day testing this and my battery life is actually worse than normal. Not an issue with the modes, per se.

I'm working from home today, so the Pre is connected to wifi. With the changes I made to email "as items arrive" to support the data on demand. my work email is chewing through my battery life something fierce. Dang it More fine tuningl

I had made another check email modifier to change schedules but it was built with 3G in mind
    Ahh yea another problem I thought of. I considered also making Wi-Fi part of Data on Demand but I figured that if your at home you keep your phone charged most of the time and I wanted to have Instant messager working all the time while I was home.

You might want to add Wi-Fi to shut off when in default mode and turn on in Data On mode as a solution, but it sounds like you have another mode that you made that might work. Let us know which route you take and how it goes.
  11.    #51  
    Also anyone who imported my Phone Only mode. I was testing a screen state trigger which is in the exported file and will keep the mode from working. Make sure you delete that trigger or re-download the new Phone Only mode file which is corrected.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Also anyone who imported my Phone Only mode. I was testing a screen state trigger which is in the exported file and will keep the mode from working. Make sure you delete that trigger or re-download the new Phone Only mode file which is corrected.
    Trying to import the new Phone Only mode after deleting the original. When I tap on it from the Import Mode screen, I recieve the message "Invalid JSON Data Received!". I have deleted files, re-downloaded from your link and re-uploaded to Google Docs with the same results.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Ahh yea another problem I thought of. I considered also making Wi-Fi part of Data on Demand but I figured that if your at home you keep your phone charged most of the time and I wanted to have Instant messager working all the time while I was home.

You might want to add Wi-Fi to shut off when in default mode and turn on in Data On mode as a solution, but it sounds like you have another mode that you made that might work. Let us know which route you take and how it goes.
    I had already created email check modifiers to overrule your "as item arrive" settings because I didn't want my battery to drain to fast before the timer interval kicked in

Created a Weekday modifier that
    if no charger
    if time of weekday between 7am-6pm
    If battery is 100%<>75%
    set email check to individual settings
    as item arrives for gmail as I don't get any email there
    every 30 minutes for personal cause that can vary from really busy to not very
    every 15 minutes for work

Created weekend modifier that (I don't pay much attention to email on weekends)
    if no charger
    time of weekday between 6pm-7am
    time of weekend between 00-00
    if battery is 100%<>75%
    set email check all to every hour.

I just added an additional group that to each modifer
    above settings AND not wifi connected

We'll see how that goes
    I cannot for the life of me get the data to turn off with the default mode. Does the 5 minutes every 2 hours start right after you close Mode Switcher? I have everything set the same way and even deleted the trigger for Mobile Hotspot. It just won't turn off for some reason. Any suggestions?
    This is actually the case. It just updated and turned off the data connection. All those having problems, wait 5 minutes after you close the program and it will turn off.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I followed the directions for settings given by drahgon. So far so good. When I initially downloaded MS I made up 5 0r 6 different normal modes. I had so many problems with modes not switching properly and huge battery drains that I stopped using the program. Then I ran across this thread and I'm back to using the program. I agree with another poster that stated this program is not the easiest to use. I could never have figured out all the settings that drahgon did. I really appreciate you posting your setting, thanks. It would be great if the program came with some pre-defined modes users could start with. that would elminate a lot of confusion.
  17.    #57  
    OK anyone having problems with the exported Phone Only mode I updated it. It should work now.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkatabelo View Post
    I followed the directions for settings given by drahgon. So far so good. When I initially downloaded MS I made up 5 0r 6 different normal modes. I had so many problems with modes not switching properly and huge battery drains that I stopped using the program. Then I ran across this thread and I'm back to using the program. I agree with another poster that stated this program is not the easiest to use. I could never have figured out all the settings that drahgon did. I really appreciate you posting your setting, thanks. It would be great if the program came with some pre-defined modes users could start with. that would elminate a lot of confusion.
    Yea that was me who said it wasn't that easy to use. I'm glad my setting are helping you out. I agree some predefined modes would be nice examples for new people.
    I believe the predefined modes are on the todo list.
  20.    #60  
    oh nice. He said he is coming out with a whole new UI too. Maybe all the changes are coming together.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast