Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
Like Tree1Likes
    Just a friendly public service reminder to everyone:

MS 2.x is for webOS 2.x and later.
    MS 1.x is for webOS 1.4.x.

While some people have gotten MS 1.x to run on webOS 2.x, its not officially supported to be run on webOS 2.x. There have been vast improvements all around to MS for the 2.x version that if you are running webOS 2.x, you should be running MS 2.x.

Exporting/ed modes from MS 1.x to 2.x is not supported. Recommended option is to recreate the modes under MS 2.x.

All other details can be found on the MS wiki page.

Official MS 2.x Thread
    Official MS 1.x Thread
    Official MS Wiki (2.x/1.x)

EDIT: Also, if others have updated MS 2.x modes for creating this "all day battery life" situation, it would be more than awesome if a new thread was created in Sconix's sub-forum. He'd be more apt to see the thread to help if need be, plus possibly easier to find by other MS users that read some of the other threads in his sub-forum related to MS.

For that matter, any threads related to MS could go to that sub-forum.

MS is very powerful and can do so many things. It is great to see others come up with such innovative ideas using MS. Keep up the great work and don't forget to donate to the man for all of his hard work on MS. (See wiki for donation link or OP of the MS threads).

Thanks.
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 05/10/2011 at 11:44 AM.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  2.    #222  
    Thanks for the info Oakridge. If a mod wants to move this over to Sconix's sub forum feel free.
  3.    #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Yes 2.0 is much faster. I have my data on demand setup and when I take my Pre off the charger at 5am by around 5pm I am still at 75%. Maybe adding a mode that when you are playing a game it turns data off whether screen is on or off will meet your needs drahgon.
    You know that may work. I hadn't thought of turning OFF data when certain applications are running only turning it ON. Thanks for the suggestion
    I have a mode setup to turn data and phone off when watching videos or movies so I don't get interrupted. Works great!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    Thanks for the info Oakridge. If a mod wants to move this over to Sconix's sub forum feel free.
    NP. Not that I have followed this thread 100%, but is what you created mainly geared towards MS 1.x (at least what you have in the OP)?

If so, maybe having a new thread with changes to your existing implementation for MS 2.x would be handy since so much has changed between versions...

If a mod does move it and another thread was created for more MS 2.x implementation, we could have this thread renamed so that it would reflect 1.x compatibility. Once/If moved to Sconix's forum, I'd be able to moderate it at that point.

Thanks again.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    i have certain internet pages on my launcher eg. train schedule. When i select the train schedule i want the data to turn on. i want some sort of delay before the web app starts up because i don't want to get the message from the app that i don't have any internet connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by stan.forums View Post
    i have certain internet pages on my launcher eg. train schedule. When i select the train schedule i want the data to turn on. i want some sort of delay before the web app starts up because i don't want to get the message from the app that i don't have any internet connection.
    Be sure to check out what I posted a few posts ago. It has links to the official threads and wiki.

Currently there are no delays in any of the triggers, settings, etc... that is hopefully coming in a future release. See the wiki for more details.

I have a pre3 and MS2.5.4 and tried this wiki but found some of the stuff a little different than stated (few missing choices)... Is there an updated version for this now?

Also, once I have done all that, I am having trouble figuring out how to switch modes ...silly me !!

Update: I do see, for instance, on opening the browser, a 3 tier bar set open first being "close" second being data on/off greyed out, and bottom bar a countdown. I think I get it now, and am fascinated by this fabulous idea ...who do I thank for this ??

I am flummoxed that I have consumed so much data and upset to think about having to abandon this great phone!!

Not too long ago I went to NY and needed a way to have my battery last all day so what I did was turn data off. That worked great and but is not very practical for everyday since data is so important for me and many others. I was then referred to mode switcher. Using it I created a profile which lets my battery last all day while giving me on demand data capabilities.

The reason why turning data off works so well is because Synergy kills your battery by syncing info all day all the time. Compared to Synergy even having your email set to "As arrives" sips power compared to Synergy. Since there is no way to set how often Synergy syncs the only way to restrict its activities is to regulate when and how often your data connections turn on. This is why I created Data on Demand.

Data on Demand - by default keeps data off however turns it on when a internet based app(ex. browser or email app is in the foreground). However there is also a timer which turns data on every 2 hours for 5 min to get emails and do synergy syncing in case you don't use any internet apps for two hours...highly unlikely.

Finally there is a Phone only mode which triggers when you reach 30% it turns off Data and WiFi in order to keep your phone alive as long as possible and recharge as fast as possible. your phone can run for about 3-5 hours in phone only mode at 30%!

Here is how it works. I also explain how to set it up manually below or you can use the Exported Mode Files I included to skip setting it up manually:

1. battery between 50% - 100% and not charging - Data on Demand(Data turns on when needed triggered by internet based applications in the foreground)

2. battery between 50% - 100% and charging - Data on Always

3. battery between 30% and 50 percent - Data on Demand Always

4. Every 2 hours for 5 minutes - Data Always On

5. battery between 0% and 30% - Phone only (turns data and WiFi off)

I have been using it for about 3 weeks works great. Try it out and post your results. Hope it helps some people out.

Known Issue:
    1. Very occasionally Data On mode will be activated but data EV connection does not start up. This rarely happens but when and if it does just open Phone preferences and toggle the data connection off then on will fix the problem or turn off Data On mode and turn it back on.

2. Since data does not start until you open a internet App. Usually you will get a message data is turned off. Most apps you just have to wait until you see the EV icon in the upper right corner then reload or restart the app. However the Browser HAS to be closed and opened again. You cannot just reload it.
    A possible less energy efficient fix is for Data On Mode for Group 1 is get ride of all the application triggers and set a Display State Trigger and set State to "Display On" and Delay to 15 Seconds(0 seconds would be ideal but it is not an option) Then wait for data to turn on(This will kill your battery if you play a game or do non-internet based activities on your phone since data will stay on so i do not recommend this)

Here are the Exported Mode Files:

Data On Mode
    Attachment 51505

Phone Only Mode
    Attachment 51537

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Setup Instructions:

1. install mode switcher(MS) app

Default Mode
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2.Open the MS and press "Edit Default Mode"
    3. Click "Settings" button
    4. Click "Add Setting" and click "Connections"
    5. Connections will have 5 settings. Phone, Data, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS. Set them as follows:

Phone: Enable

Data: Disabled
    (IMPORTANT: if you already have other MS Profiles that are Normal. You have to set Data to Disabled for Data on Demand to work with those profiles)

WiFi: Do Not Set
    Bluetooth: Do Not Set
    GPS: Do Not Set
    (Any other settings do not matter)

6. Perform two back swipes to get back to the home screen. Now click "Add Custom Mode"

Data On Mode
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7. In "Mode Name" type Data On
    8. For "Mode Type" set to Modifier

Settings
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    9. Click "Settings"
    10. Under Behavior set both options to "Do Not Set"
    11. Click "Add Setting" and click "Connections"
    12. Under Connections Set Data to "Enabled" and everything else to "Do Not Set".
    13. Click "Add Setting" and click "Email"
    14. Set Alert to "Do Not Set" and Get Email to "As Arrives"

Data On Triggers
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    15. Perform one back swipe and then click "Triggers"
    16. Under Behavior set Required to "Any Grouped" and Block Mode to "Modifier Modes"
    17. Now under Activation Triggers we are going to make 5 groups total.

Group 1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    18. For every App that uses the internet click "Add Trigger" and click Application
    (This part is by far the most tedious I recommend adding your most vital apps that you use all the time ex. browser, email... first and the less used ones later when you finally use them. )

19. Under Application there are 3 settings State, Application, and Delay. Set them as follows for each internet App. set State to "On Foreground", Application to "the name of your application that requires internet access" and Delay to 30 seconds.

AGAIN you have to do steps 18 and 19 for EVERY internet APP that you have on your phone or this WILL NOT WORK. Do the most important ones like email and browser first.

(This step not working skip and go to step 21) 20. Last for the Mobile hotspot and Neato! Apps do steps 18 and 19. Do 18 and 19 once again except the second time set State to " On Background" for both the Apps. This way data will stay on All the time when you have these Apps open.

Group 2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    21. Now click "Group >" button on the bottom right of the screen
    22. Click "Add Trigger" and click "Battery Level Trigger".
    23. Set High Limit to 100% and Low Limit to 50%
    24. Click "Add Trigger" and click "Charger Event Trigger".
    25. Set Charger to "Wall Charger" and Delay to "No Delay".

Group 3
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    27. Now click "Group >" button on the bottom right of the screen
    28. Click "Add Trigger" and click "Battery Level Trigger".
    29. Set High Limit to 100% and Low Limit to 50%
    30. Click "Add Trigger" and click "Charger Event Trigger".
    31. Set Charger to "Touchstone", Orientation to "Any" and Delay to "No Delay".

Group 4
    27. Now click "Group >" button on the bottom right of the screen
    28. Click "Add Trigger" and click "Battery Level Trigger".
    29. Set High Limit to 100% and Low Limit to 50%
    30. Click "Add Trigger" and click "Charger Event Trigger".
    31. Set Charger to "USB Charger" and Delay to "No Delay".

Group 5

32. Now click "Group >" button on the bottom right of the screen
    33. Click "Add Trigger" and click "Time Interval Trigger".
    34. Set Mode to "Repeating", Active to "5 minutes" and Every to "2 Hours"

Phone Only Mode
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    35. Now back swipe twice to get back to the home screen and click "Add Custom Mode"
    36. For Mode Name type "Phone Only"
    37. Mode type "Normal"
    38. Auto Start "Immediate" and Auto Close "Immediate"
    39. click "Settings"
    40. under behavior set Notify to "Use Banner" and On Charger to "Turn Off"
    41. Click "Add Setting" and click "Connections" set as follows

Phone: Enabled
    Data: Disabled
    Wi-Fi: Disabled
    Bluetooth: Default
    GPS: Default

Phone Only Triggers
    42. Back swipe and click "Triggers"
    42. Under Behavior set Required to "All Unique" and Block Mode to "Other Modes"
    43. Click "Add Trigger" and click "Battery Level Trigger"
    44. Set High Limit to 30% and Low Limit to 0%
    45. Click "Add Trigger" and click "Charger Event Trigger"
    46. Set Charger to "No Charger" and Delay to "30 Seconds"
    Last edited by patapoof; 11/14/2011 at 07:43 PM.
  9.    #229  
    I haven't updated this configuration for newer version of Mode Switcher, but I will look into it at some point.

Maybe some more detail on what options are missing in the newer version?

Also the modes should switch automatically if everything is set up correctly.
    when one adds an app by mistake or whatnot, how can one delete that from the setup without having to mess up everything?

,,,sorry for being so insipidly dense, but I am coming from a long history with wiMO/PocketPC/winCE and am not yet over the learning hump with this after barely a week with webOS...
  11.    #231  
    try swiping the item to the left or right I cannot remember exactly it has been a while but that is webOS standard convention for deleting list items.
    I haven't updated this configuration for newer version of Mode Switcher, but I will look into it at some point.

Maybe some more detail on what options are missing in the newer version?

Also the modes should switch automatically if everything is set up correctly.
    one difference I've noticed in 2.x is that "do not set" seems to have been replaced with "default".
  13.    #233  
    So I was looking into porting data on demand to android yesterday. In my research I wanted to see what apps were out there doing power management stuff. I found this app called JuiceDefender which is mimics data on demand almost exactly. I am sure this is a complete ripoff of my idea. It toggles the data connections, allows apps to turn back on data connections, but the real kicker is they have the Phone Only mode when you phone gets to critical battery levels.......really..

More over I started this thread in 2010. JuiceDefender was released in 2012. If I could sue I would..
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Whoa! Blast from the past!

Ever since I got a Note 2 a couple months ago, battery life has been a forgotten worry of the past...
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112